How do I install my license? (License issues)

Any questions? Need some help?
IceQueen

How do I install my license? (License issues)

Post by IceQueen »

I've purchased my Filebot license.
I've installed the latest version
I've copied the license file in to %PROGRAFILES%\Filebot.
I've added -Dnet.filebot.license="%PROGRAMFILES%\Filebot\FileBot_License_XXXXXXXXXXX.psm" to filebot.l4j.ini

Filebot does not detect the license. When I try to rename a file it says I need to buy or select a license file.

Attempting to select the license file results in an error diaglog "License error: C:\Program Files\Filebot\FileBot_License_XXXXXXXXXXX.psm

and the gui gets corrupted. I have to quit the program at that point.

The log file says

Code: Select all

WARNING: Activate License XXXXXXXX
Nov. 24, 2019 4:41:45 PM net.filebot.Settings configureLicense
SEVERE: License Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Filebot\FileBot_License_XXXXXXXXX.psm

Where xxxxxxxxx = my unique license id?
rednoah
The Source

Re: License issues

Post by rednoah »

IceQueen wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 05:42 I've copied the license file in to %PROGRAFILES%\Filebot.
I've added -Dnet.filebot.license="%PROGRAMFILES%\Filebot\FileBot_License_XXXXXXXXXXX.psm" to filebot.l4j.ini
Why did you do any of this? How did you even find documentation on how to do this?

:!: Modifying internal properties is highly discouraged. Do not do that unless, you know exactly what you're doing. If you do, and break things, then I can't help you.

:arrow: Uninstall FileBot. Revert all modifications that you may have made. Then try again with clean slate. If something doesn't work, take a screenshot and send me the logs. Do not make modifications to program files willy-nilly.

IceQueen wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 05:42 and the gui gets corrupted. I have to quit the program at that point.
Screenshots? Logs?

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
IceQueen

Post by IceQueen »

Do not make changes to program files willy nilly?

Wow!

Uh, the ini file modifications are documented here in many places. I simply followed the posts on these forums. What did I do that was so wrong to incur such wrath?

viewtopic.php?t=9926

Not the sort of response I was expecting after shelling out ~ $75
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

IceQueen wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 07:06 Do not make changes to program files willy nilly?
Well, that's just general advice that applies to all software. No wrath intended. Just a concerned mother here, who just saw her son stick a fork into the electric outlet. :lol:

It works like this:
1. Install FileBot by double-clicking the installer downloaded from the website
2. Launch FileBot by double-clicking on the FileBot icon
3. Install license file by double-clicking the license file you have received via email

:idea: @devster is an advanced command-line Linux user who asked a question in the Scripting sub-forum. If you are a normal Windows GUI user, then this particular answer does not apply to you. I shall add a warning message.

:!: Looking at what you are doing, it seems that you have configured FileBot to use a protected read-only location for the license key, which of course can't work, because FileBot can't write the new license key there. By default, it's using its own app data folder, so by default it works out of the box.

IceQueen wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 07:06 Not the sort of response I was expecting after shelling out ~ $75
You get a response on Sunday within 30 min. Not too bad. The response content depends on the question. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.