[FAQ] How to request a complimentary license?

Any questions? Need some help?
ghostserverd

Re: [FAQ] How to request a complimentary license?

Post by ghostserverd »

posting for PM purposes
Avasta

Post by Avasta »

Posting publicly
wildbuffalo

Post by wildbuffalo »

posting something
chuzzaa

Post by chuzzaa »

Posting something
mephisto3333

Post by mephisto3333 »

Post to send PM
stirlobe

Post by stirlobe »

wait .. so if i paid $62 aud for the MAS version, i only get one year free for the CLI?! can we not have a command line version as part of the microsoft or Mac Store copy? it would be lovely... or a way to generate a .psm file from our Apple or MS version so it can be used in scripting as has been great for many years--i only bought the Mac version to show my support for your excellent work; what has changed recently?

i would appreciate either a psm file, CLI option or another solution vs trying to get credit from Apple for a purchase or chasing after old things vs just including the CLI app into the Mac or MS or another option--eg a watched Folder could achieve things if we had a headless Mac GUI server as many people run and we do not want to be using finder/mac apps vs SSH in and remote control or auto scripting these things.. thanks

awaiting a good solution, btw must disclose: am in Australia with Australian Consumer Protection agencies..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

stirlobe wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 07:24 can we not have a command line version as part of the Microsoft or Mac Store copy?
Microsoft Store, yes you can. Microsoft does support command-line tools in the Microsoft Store. At this point in time, the Microsoft Store edition has no limitations, other than that it's bound to the Microsoft Store which in turn is only available for Windows 10.

Mac App Store, unfortunately, no you can't. Apple imposes many technical and legal limitations, no functional command-line tools due to sandboxing requirements, no subtitles due to legal grey area on how movie copy right low relates to subtitles, etc.

:?: Why can't I switch between license systems?

Microsoft and Apple protect your privacy. That means that developers don't know any customer information whatsoever, which makes it impossible to contact customers, or verify customer claims, etc. Microsoft and Apple can verify your purchase, but I cannot, by design.

:!: You generally can't hop between Store fronts. You can't switch between iOS App Store / Google Play Store / Nintendo eStore / PlayStation Store / Xbox Games Store / Epic Games Store / Stream Store / etc. That's just how it works in this day and age, unfortunately. There are many pieces of software or games that are available on different Store fronts, and each purchase is unique and independent, and doesn't magically give you access to the same software on all the other Store fronts. It really sucks, and it's getting worse. I can't even use my Nintendo Wii U digital purchases on my Nintendo Switch.

stirlobe wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 07:24 what has changed recently?
Due to popular demand, and general dismay with the Mac App Store / Microsoft Store by both end users and developers, FileBot has built it's own universal license system, which was introduced around June 2018, as an independent alternative to platform stores.

stirlobe wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 07:24 btw must disclose: am in Australia with Australian Consumer Protection agencies..
You are very welcome and encouraged to disclose your dismay with Apple / Mac App Store and the Microsoft / Windows Store if you're unhappy with their service, especially their abysmal refund policies, which AFAIK are particularly hostile outside of the EU.

EDIT:

Note that issuing 1 year complimentary licenses takes me ~5 seconds, while writing lengthy replies takes significantly longer. Just PM me name / email and you're good for a year. If you still feel morally wronged a year later, ask for a new 1 year complimentary license, chances are, I'll issue another one just to give you some peace of mind, and save some time on my end.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
stirlobe

Post by stirlobe »

thanks for the quick response--ok good idea...

first I will try to get the refund or credit back from Apple, then I will buy the lifetime license as I just have too many yearly things to track now and I inevitably forget and end up with broken dependencies or other things which just upset workflows or other automated systems...

I will purchase the license through your store after and use the GUI until then for anything which needs renaming...

cheers!

Stirlo

P.S. keep making good software--and also--all these stores are actually making things harder for developers And customers both; most want to reward or pay for good software and when you are only getting a small cut of it or they take percents Then impose ridiculous rules upon things it gets a bit customer/user hostile.. a shame as the Mac App Store seems to be ok in spite of all the shortcomings and (well minded) sandboxing issues.. so annoying!

(addendum quick poll: how many copies of GTA have you bought on various systems? I think im up to about average 5~ for PS, PSN, PSP, PS4, iOS and Mac/Steam too right now.. Not ideal!)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

There's always pros and cons. And I personally like how easy it is to purchase something, when you're already logged in with payment methods already pre-set, then it literally comes down to pressing one button in the Store, plus there's lots of tech-illiterates (i.e. definitely not FileBot users) who can now purchase software easily, unfortunately within the constraints arbitrarily imposed by some tech company.

It's not all bad, but if they would just let developers issue refunds, that would make life so much easier for everyone. There's probably some stupid non-tech reason for categorically separating users from developers... :evil:

I'm quite happy I managed to get away from Store fronts. I think everyone is much happier with things as they are now, but the transition is understandably painful for existing users that have bought into the Store. Because it's all nice and dandy, until you realize wanna run it on a Linux server a year later, or you switch to Windows, etc. I too would expect my purchases to follow me wherever I go, regardless of platform, or country of residence.

PS: So I'm not a GTA fan... it's too time intensive... I probably have purchased Sonic 1 on at least 7 different platforms though, now that I think about it. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. :lol:
servierer

Post by servierer »

Purchased on MS store some time ago to support, when CLI were supported by donations / "free", PM for complimentary.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

servierer wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 01:51 Purchased on MS store some time ago to support, when CLI were supported by donations / "free", PM for complimentary.
Sent.

:idea: Note that the Microsoft Store edition does include the filebot command-line tools. They're only missing on the Mac App Store due to Apple limitations.
denbeiren

Post by denbeiren »

Sadly i am also affected with the magnificent microsoft support..

Will be sending a PM shortly :(

Thank the lord for the filebot support!
wallyps

Post by wallyps »

Post by q5hps »

Something public
Arcadejunkie

Post by Arcadejunkie »

Post by TheSupremeLeader »

Public post
igelst

Post by igelst »

Post by Dominic »

Posting to so I can PM.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Dominic wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 08:22 Posting to so I can PM.
Complimentary license sent.
imported

Post by imported »

Sending now.
Drachir

Post by Drachir »

Sending MAS licenses via PM...
Shinobi326

Post by Shinobi326 »

posting to be able to request this
WaLLy3K

Post by WaLLy3K »

The quick brown fox requested a license for the lazy Plex.
gmidge

Post by gmidge »

Posting to PM
marchp

Post by marchp »

I purchased through the Microsoft Store and would like to grab a key. Thanks!