How could I transfer / import my own data (e.g. renaming schemes, settings) to a new FileBot (e.g. 4.8.5.)?

Support for Windows users
Biff

How could I transfer / import my own data (e.g. renaming schemes, settings) to a new FileBot (e.g. 4.8.5.)?

Post by Biff »

How could I transfer / import my own data (e.g. renaming schemes, settings) from an old FileBot to a new FileBot (e.g. 4.8.5.)?
Newest portable, stable FileBot, Windows 10 Home, 64bit
rednoah
The Source

Re: How could I transfer / import my own data (e.g. renaming schemes, settings) to a new FileBot (e.g. 4.8.5.)?

Post by rednoah »

Nothing, since there haven't been any significant changes in how settings are stored.

If you want to import / export settings so you can move them between machines, then you can do this like so:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4205
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Biff

Re: How could I transfer / import my own data (e.g. renaming schemes, settings) to a new FileBot (e.g. 4.8.5.)?

Post by Biff »

Sorry, I do not understand at all.

I have different naming schemes / formats here:

How can I get them to the new FileBot? And my own settings, e.g. "Preferences"? Are there files the settings, naming formats are stored in I would have to copy to the new FileBot?
If you want to import / export settings so you can move them between machines, then you can do this like so:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4205
What kind of settings are these? And how should I import / export them?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Settings can be imported / exported with the filebot command-line tool as described in the link above.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Settings can be imported / exported with the filebot command-line tool as described in the link above.
Very unhandy, isn't it? That will work with portable FileBots?

How can I get the naming schemes / formats to the new FileBot?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 15:14 Very unhandy, isn't it? That will work with portable FileBots?
How so? The filebot command-line tool is the most universally available interface that works the same on all platforms and configurations. It'll work on everything from local Windows Desktop PC to remote headless Linux server located on the other side of the planet.

:idea: If you are using the portable edition, then you can also just copy the settings.properties file. Note that the settings.properties file is unique to the portable edition, so this approach is not universally applicable to other editions.

Biff wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 15:14 How can I get the naming schemes / formats to the new FileBot?
You export with the old FileBot instance, and then import with the new FileBot instance.
Biff

Post by Biff »

How so? The filebot command-line tool is the most universally available interface that works the same on all platforms and configurations. It'll work on everything from local Windows Desktop PC to remote headless Linux server located on the other side of the planet.
Yes yes, that might be good for coders, developers, operating systems, etc. but not for users. A proper program has to have an import / export / back up option in the GUI for one's settings. It does not make any sense if such is missing.
:idea: If you are using the portable edition, then you can also just copy the settings.properties file. Note that the settings.properties file is unique to the portable edition, so this approach is not universally applicable to other editions.
Sorry, I am not sure. Can i copy that file to the new FileBot so that I get the old settings to the new one or not? It has to be copied to the data folder? If so, it does not work obviously. No settings, formats transferred.
You export with the old FileBot instance, and then import with the new FileBot instance.
Yes, OK, but HOW do I do it. Could you give me a step by step instruction, please?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 20:20 Can i copy that file to the new FileBot so that I get the old settings to the new one or not? It has to be copied to the data folder? If so, it does not work obviously. No settings, formats transferred.
Double check what you're doing. It definitely works.

:idea: Just play with it. If you run FileBot (portable) for the first time, it'll create the settings file, and any settings you change will be reflected by the settings file, and if you launch FileBot again, that's where the settings come from, whatever they may be, or however you may have modified them when FileBot wasn't running. It can't not work.

:idea: Either settings fundamentally don't work, or they just work, coming in from that file, which you have full control over. If you're saying that FileBot is never persisting settings, and always starts with a blank slate, then that would be a bug.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sorry, I do not understand any word.

I want to transfer my settings, renaming formats form an old file bot to a new one, how could I do it? Could you give me a step by step instruction, please? So that I could get my settings, formats to the new FileBot.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. Go to the old FileBot portable folder and copy the settings file.
2. Go to the new FileBot portable folder and paste the settings file, overriding the existing one.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you.

I had already done that but it hadn't worked. Does that file, settings.properties, have to be in the data folder?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 13:23 Does that file, settings.properties, have to be in the data folder?
I don't know...

1. Start FileBot.
2. Change some settings.
3. Close FileBot.
4. Check where settings.properties was created just now.
5. That's where it needs to be.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes, it is in the data folder. prefs.properties, too. But the copied files (from the old FB) do not have any effect.

If I see it right, the old FileBot has settings.properties in the program folder, so where FileBot.exe is stored. And the new one in the data folder? Can that be right?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, if that's were the file is created by default, then that's where it needs to be, for this particular version of FileBot.

:idea: Since you never specified exactly what version "old" refers to, I also don't know. If you had posted screenshots, maybe the solution would have been obvious immediately. ;)
Biff

Post by Biff »

:idea: Since you never specified exactly what version "old" refers to, I also don't know.
Well, well, since you never have asked for it...I do not know what you need to know to solve the problem, so it might be good wayto ask for what you need to know. Version 4.7.9, the old one.
If you had posted screenshots, maybe the solution would have been obvious immediately.
Well, well, screenshots of what? Why don't you ask for that, if it may be so obvious then to solve the problem. Very strange.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, it's tricky. I don't see what you see, so I may not necessarily know what to ask for. It's team work of you giving as much contextual information as you can right away without me asking, and me asking for more information if something essential is missing. I shall do better next time. ;)

Here's a non-exclusive list of what's generally good to know:
viewtopic.php?t=1868
Biff

Post by Biff »

Well, well, just transferring the settings to another FileBot, something common programs simply can do, a common option, didn't sound like a problem first or like an explanation is necessary.

Well, if I knew which information are contetual I would do it, but I do not know. And just making screenshots of....whatever...where from would you want a screenshot?

I shall do better next time as well.

Thanks for the link.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 19:40 Well, if I knew which information are contetual I would do it, but I do not know. And just making screenshots of....whatever...where from would you want a screenshot?
You have no idea how much easier my life would be if everyone just added a fullscreen screenshot, just randomly, when you're stuck and don't know what to do next, take a screenshot at that point in time. A screenshot says more than a thousand words. At the very least, I'll know which operation system you're using. If clock is showing, I'll know which Locale / Time settings are being used. If FileBot is showing, I will now the version / edition. If Explorer is showing, I'll know what kinda files you're working with. If Desktop is showing, I can probably gauge your level of technical expertise. If tray is showing, I know what services / graphics drivers are running in the background. Probably a lot more though. Point is, I also don't know what I'm looking for, therefore seeing what you see is a good start. :lol:

e.g. just from today, generic "Filebot Won't open" became highly specific "Filebot Won't open on Arabic macOS" after some back and forth, something that probably would have been immediately obvious from a fullscreen screenshot:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11317
Biff

Post by Biff »

You have no idea how much easier my life would be if everyone just added a fullscreen screenshot, just randomly, when you're stuck and don't know what to do next, take a screenshot at that point in time. A screenshot says more than a thousand words. At the very least, I'll know which operation system you're using.
Well, a randomly done screenshot? That sounds....well...but when I want to just copy the settings to a new FB...what screenshot should I really make, one of FB? That sounds....the Operating System, FileBot version is in my signature. I never would do a random screenshot because I would not like to show any data that should not be shown.

Thank you for the link, yes, there really are situations a screenshot (or a moving gif) might help very good.

Alright, so the best might be just to manually copy the renaming schemes / formats to the new FB. And, I do not remember anymore, there are not that much settings so I could adapt them manually as well, I guess.