How to rename files with certification and actors and download artwork?

Any questions? Need some help?
MikeB80

How to rename files with certification and actors and download artwork?

Post by MikeB80 »

Hi,
Firstly let me apologise for my ignorance/incompetence. I've looked through the threads, tutorials, g00gle search & youtube videos, but I still have no idea what i'm doing or where to start.
Basically, I have a collection of movies & TV series which I would like to organise, rename (without extended description that comes with them), and also add the artwork. Ideally, i'd also like to add a movie description & rating (as in stars, not the age rating - although this would also be useful if possible I guess).
I have managed to rename them (most of them - some are not found in the two Movie Mode options, "TheMovieDB" & "OMDb"), and also sort them into folders (by year).
I have never run a command prompt, or written a script, and would like some assistance (sorry, but I really need a step-by-step).
Thanks in advance for your help.
MikeB80

Re: I'm LOST!

Post by MikeB80 »

Sorry, i'm using Windows 10
rednoah
The Source

Re: I'm LOST!

Post by rednoah »

You can use the GUI for mostly all of that.

The first video tutorial should be enough to get you most of the way:
https://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

:idea: It's best to process TV Shows and Movies separately, but if you want to just drop everything in and hit Smart Mode ➔ Autodetect then that'll work too, unless your current naming is really bad.

If you'd like to customize how files are named (e.g. adding rating and actors to the file name) then you you'll want to look into custom formats:
https://www.filebot.net/naming.html

e.g.

Code: Select all

{ny} {certification} {actors.take(3)}

Avatar (2009) PG-13 [Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang]

The GUI currently does not support creation of artwork / nfo files. If you're using Plex / Kodi / etc these tools manage by themselves once the file names are clear. If you do want to use filebot to prepare artwork / nfo files, then you will have to familiarize yourself with the command-line and then use the artwork.* scripts to get the job done:
https://www.filebot.net/script.html
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
MikeB80

Re: How to rename files with certification and actors and download artwork?

Post by MikeB80 »

Excellent! Thank you!

I ended up using the code: {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Rating {certification}, {rating}]
Which has named it all perfectly, making it easy to select/choose a movie by genre, rating etc. By-the-way; where does it get the ratings from as it doesn't always match IMDb?

What I haven't been able to do is automatically organise & clean up (remove the txt files etc). I'll keep reading & trying, but any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but I don't know what Plex or Kodi are (don't laugh please :-0)
I am not afraid to attempt the command-line to get artwork, I just don't know how/where to do it? Do I just open a command prompt, and if so, could you please help me with a script to paste into it so that I can get the artwork?

Again, thank you in advance.
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Also, is there any way to organise the folders by year/rating/genre etc, and are we able to change between organising methods like 'arrange/sort by' in folders?
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Also, is there any way to organise the folders by year/rating/genre etc, and are we able to change between organising methods like 'arrange/sort by' in folders?
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

I got all the movies renamed with genre, certificate rating & review rating; but I struggled to come up with a way to organise/search for the best films. I have manually organised the folders & in the 'movie' folder I can use the windows search tool to search for 'action'/'drama' etc, but I can't sort them by review rating (so the best are on top).

I tried to change the code so that the {rating} would be at the start, meaning when organised by name (descending) the best rated would be at the top... but it doesn't seem to work (even though the preview shows it should).

I changed the code to: {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Rating {certification}]

Preview shows: 9.5 - Firefly (2002) [Drama, Rating TV-14]

Any advice how I can achieve this? Thanks again in advance
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

I got all the movies renamed with genre, certificate rating & review rating; but I struggled to come up with a way to organise/search for the best films. I have manually organised the folders & in the 'movie' folder I can use the windows search tool to search for 'action'/'drama' etc, but I can't sort them by review rating (so the best are on top).

I tried to change the code so that the {rating} would be at the start, meaning when organised by name (descending) the best rated would be at the top... but it doesn't seem to work (even though the preview shows it should).

I changed the code to: {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Rating {certification}]

Preview shows: 9.5 - Firefly (2002) [Drama, Rating TV-14]

Any advice how I can achieve this? Thanks again in advance
devster

Post by devster »

You say it's not working but it's not apparent to what it rename files to instead.
Could you post an example?
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Hi Devster,

Initially using code: {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Rating {certification}, {rating}]
It reads: The Lego Movie (2014) [Animation, Rating PG, 7.8]

Pulled this into 'Original files' box (it still reads as above in the original files box). Clicked Fetch Data (tried both movie modes).
'New Names' then reads: The Lego Movie (2014). Right click, EDIT FORMAT & it still reads as I had originally attempted:
{rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Rating {certification}]
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

SOLVED!

OMG - amateur error!" It helps when the format is switched back to MOVIE!

Using following code (& working a treat!):
Rating {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Certificate {certification}]
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

MikeB80 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:31 What I haven't been able to do is automatically organise & clean up (remove the txt files etc). I'll keep reading & trying, but any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
The recommend approach is to use an absolute format and organize files into a new file / folder structure. That has the convenient side-effect that all the clutter will stay behind in the original folder, which can then be deleted all at once.

e.g.

X:/Media/{plex}

:idea: I highly recommend organizing files with {plex} first, i.e. X:/Media/{plex}, as the primary file structure, and then you can generate multiple secondary structures using symlinks or hardlinks (i.e. have the same file multiple times in different folders with different names but only take up disk space once) that allow you to navigate files in different ways (e.g. by year, by rating, etc).

MikeB80 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:31 I am not afraid to attempt the command-line to get artwork, I just don't know how/where to do it? Do I just open a command prompt, and if so, could you please help me with a script to paste into it so that I can get the artwork?
You can copy & paste the example command from here:
viewtopic.php?p=205#p204
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Hi Rednoah,

I tried to copy/paste the artwork example from the topic 205, but it didn't work. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong & this is a simple fix, but here is what I pasted & what error it gave me:

C:\XXX\XXX>filebot -script fn:artwork.tvdb /path/to/tvshows/
'filebot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Just to clarify (after doing further research); i'm not using plex or kodi. I travel frequently & work away from home a lot. I don't always have internet access, so a streaming service isn't what i'm looking for. I have an external hard drive which I have a selection of movies/tv shows & this is what i'm trying to organise. I have successfully organised them so far using code: Rating {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Certificate {certification}]
This has allowed me to use the windows search tool to find movies by genre & display them in order of review rating.
However; I would love to have the artwork displayed, and even better would be to have a portable application of plex installed on my hard drive that I could plug into a laptop/pc & use to search through the movies on the hard drive...

Is this possible to run a portable version of plex from my hard drive to navigate the media on the same hard drive?

If not, how can I get artwork? (be gentle - i'm a real amateur!)

Thanks again.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

MikeB80 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 06:05 C:\XXX\XXX>filebot -script fn:artwork.tvdb /path/to/tvshows/
'filebot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
How did you install FileBot? The folder that contains the filebot.exe file should be in the %PATH% environment variable after installing FileBot, but you can also modify the %PATH% manually like so if it doesn't work out of the box:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-not ... l-command/

You can run Plex / Kodi on your Desktop. That would probably be the easiest solution.
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

I downloaded the portable version 4.8.5 to my external hard drive. I can't install any software to my laptop as its a company issue one & I don't have admin rights for installation. (downloading is not an issue, only installing).
This is also why I can't install Plex/Kodi on the desktop.

Any ideas?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Install Kodi for Windows ➔ 1.8 Portable Mode:
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_K ... table_Mode

If you're running Windows 10, then there's also a Microsoft Store edition that you can install without administrator permissions:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/kodi/9nblggh4t892
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Excellent, thank you.

Once I install that (with my windows 10), how do I then get the artwork on my files? And can I do it so the artwork is saved to the hard drive files so I can still see them if used on a computer without kodi?

Thanks again
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

How to Store Your Kodi Artwork in the Same Folder as Your Videos:
https://www.howtogeek.com/301671/how-an ... our-media/

Artwork (Import/Export):
https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Import.2FExport
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

NEW ISSUE: FILEBOT WON'T RECOGNISE THE MOVIES AFTER RENAMING THEM; SO I CAN'T CHANGE THE CODE...

Ok; so after learning how to code & managing to rename/file & search the movies, I found out that the easiest platform to use was Kodi. The code previously used: Rating {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Certificate {certification}] therefore had to be changed so that Kodi would recognise the TV shows. New code used (for TV shows) was: {plex.tail} & this has worked perfectly. All TV shows are listed/loaded into Kodi & I am very impressed.

The issue came when loading the movies to Kodi library. These movies were not recognised so I assumed this was because they were not names as per the code: {plex.tail}
I tried to rename them in Filebot, but neither of the movie searches recognise any of them so I cannot change the format from: Rating {rating} - {n} ({y}) [{genres[0]}, Certificate {certification}]

Please help...
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

When using Kodi, then {kodi} is recommended, {plex} will of course also work well. If you mess up the file name (e.g. by adding random information before the name / year part) then you will be confusing FileBot / Plex / Kodi / etc.

FileBot will store xattr metadata, so once files are named once (regardless of file name) then you can always rename based on xattr rather than going through the full matching process:
viewtopic.php?t=2072

:idea: More information on xattr metadata: viewtopic.php?t=324

If you've been renaming files on a drive that does not support xattr (e.g. SMB network share) then you can still just revert all your messed up files back to their original names via the Rename History Image Image feature.
MikeB80

Post by MikeB80 »

Thanks again. I managed to use the history to revert most back & the rest I had to do manually.

So to confirm; i'm using windows 10 & kodi. For the TV shows I've used the code {plex.tail}
Should I change this to {kodi}?

I have used the code: {kodi} for the movie files
Amirax1

Post by Amirax1 »

is there any way to create artwork or convert an existing one? I didn't find anything in GUI.
Current set: intelCore 5 7600, GeForce 1050 Ti, 16 GB RAM
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Amirax1 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 11:22 is there any way to create artwork or convert an existing one? I didn't find anything in GUI.
What exactly are you looking for? Perhaps something like this?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079

:idea: Note that post-process actions in the GUI have been added recently, and thus only available in the latest beta: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1609
Amirax1

Post by Amirax1 »

rednoah wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 11:56
Amirax1 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 11:22 is there any way to create artwork or convert an existing one? I didn't find anything in GUI.
What exactly are you looking for? Perhaps something like this?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079

:idea: Note that post-process actions in the GUI have been added recently, and thus only available in the latest beta: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1609

thanks for the guide, I'll definitely check it out, somehow I couldn't add movie artwork to a new file
Current set: intelCore 5 7600, GeForce 1050 Ti, 16 GB RAM