[MAS] updated to 4.9.0 from the app store, and now is not working (on OS X El Capitan, from 2015)

Support for macOS users
watsa1

[MAS] updated to 4.9.0 from the app store, and now is not working (on OS X El Capitan, from 2015)

Post by watsa1 »

Hi,
I have just updated to 4.9.0 from the app store,and now is not working.How can I revert back to 4.8.5.

Thanks...
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot on the Mac App Store

Post by rednoah »

What's not working?
viewtopic.php?t=1868

AFAIK, the Mac App Store does not support installation of specific versions, but you might be able to restore from Time Machine backup.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ranrinc

Re: [MAS] updated to 4.9.0 from the app store,and now is not working

Post by ranrinc »

Running El Capitan and download FileBot from AppStore

https://snipboard.io/D57FiE.jpg

I wish I can downgrade my filebot.
Last edited by ranrinc on 30 Mar 2020, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

ranrinc wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 12:07 Having a same issue on my el capitan
How do you know? The OP never actually told us what the issue was. :lol:

ranrinc wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 12:07 Error message appear
Yes? What does the error message say?

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.
ranrinc

Post by ranrinc »

rednoah wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 12:21
ranrinc wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 12:07 Having a same issue on my el capitan
How do you know? The OP never actually told us what the issue was. :lol:

ranrinc wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 12:07 Error message appear
Yes? What does the error message say?

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.

Running El Capitan and download FileBot from AppStore

https://snipboard.io/D57FiE.jpg

I wish I can downgrade my filebot.
Last edited by ranrinc on 30 Mar 2020, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No idea. Looks like some internal dependency now requires macOS 10.12 or higher.

:idea: OS X El Capitan is 5 years old. Sorry mate, but if you're on the Apple train, you kinda need to go with the times.

:idea: Apple should have access too all the older release packages. Not sure if the Mac App Store allows you to downgrade though. Try Apple Technical Support and see what they say.
misullivan

Re: [MAS] updated to 4.9.0 from the app store, and now is not working (on OS X El Capitan, from 2015)

Post by misullivan »

I think that’s the wrong attitude...

I also have the problem... as a paid user. I can’t update os without spending a couple of grand on new hardware... the AppStore allows you to set the minimum OS requirements, so that updates that break the app will not be downloaded on OSes too old for your development goals.

Perhaps you’d like to offer a download link to the previous version or perhaps post a patched version and mark future versions as High Sierra or newer...?

Regards,

Michelle
rednoah
The Source

Re: [MAS] updated to 4.9.0 from the app store, and now is not working (on OS X El Capitan, from 2015)

Post by rednoah »

misullivan wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 10:02 I also have the problem... as a paid user. I can’t update os without spending a couple of grand on new hardware... the AppStore allows you to set the minimum OS requirements, so that updates that break the app will not be downloaded on OSes too old for your development goals.
Yes, but we didn't know the minimum OS requirements had changed, until someone reported the issue, by which time the 7-day phased rollout was complete and couldn't be reversed.

misullivan wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 10:02 Perhaps you’d like to offer a download link to the previous version or perhaps post a patched version and mark future versions as High Sierra or newer...?
Future versions have been marked for 10.12 and higher. Unfortunately, the MAS officially doesn't allow users to downgrade, as far as I know. Though you can revert things if you happen to have a Time Machine backup.

If there was a button that I could click to allow downgrades, then I'd click that button. But Apple doesn't give me that option. You could petition Apple, but unfortunately they care about their customer alot less than I do about mine.

:idea: As far as FileBot is concerned, you can downgrade to FileBot 4.8.5 via the non-MAS package: viewtopic.php?t=9517

:idea: macOS 10.11 has reached end-of-life 2 years ago. I'm sure you have valid reasons for being stuck with it, but what's the way forward? Never updating? Updating in N years? Expecting developers to support a OS that we can't realistically test for? This is an unsolved problem in the software industry. I don't have a good solution for you there. You can downgrade to FileBot 4.8.5 but it will eventually break, maybe next year, maybe 5 years from now. ;)
misullivan

Post by misullivan »

As a developer you can petition Apple if you believe it’s their screw up (symbols changing when you used Xcode for guilts that are supposed to be compatible) is a support issue you as a developer are entitl d to fixes for. (Hint: I’m a Xcode dev as well)

Apple of course are trying to get everyone off old hardware and buy new, but why would I replace a perfectly good and working Mac Mini 2009 when it does everything I need for work..? (Most of my work is dev, and remote administration so Xcode and terminal).. for that reason they want me to spend $2-3k on a new Mac mini and throw away my old one (very environmentally friendly there!) well I don’t think it’s right or good, and as a developer you have the opportunity of supporting their stance or not.... your choice... I ask you to follow my lead and ensure that you support old/older hardware unless you *cannot* (Ie cpu/security/graphics features not available etc).. for filebot that should not be an issue.. if it was a high end graphic game, sure I’d get it...

All the best,

Michelle
misullivan

Post by misullivan »

...oh and a thought for you.. as everything else seems to work, how about an option of a pop up window with a cut/pasteable shell script to move or copy? That should be trivial... single quotes around the full file paths and selectable “mv”, “cp” or “ln” ... then at least those of us with older OSes can just cut/paste the resultant patterns into a terminal window and let the OS use the built in tools rather than some version dependent system call...

Michelle
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

misullivan wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:29 As a developer you can petition Apple if you believe it’s their screw up (symbols changing when you used Xcode for guilts that are supposed to be compatible) is a support issue you as a developer are entitl d to fixes for. (Hint: I’m a Xcode dev as well)
I've never once opened Xcode. So that's why I don't get compile time warnings when some transitive dependency isn't strictly compatible with some given minimum OS version. Apple Review forced me to upgrade my Java / JavaFX runtime to comply with their latest annoying restrictions, which then inadvertently broke macOS 10.11 support.

I'm happy to support Windows XP and macOS 10.11 and so on, but I do not have a Mac Mini 2009 lying around, so I literally can't test these things. It'd be nice to support older platforms, all things being equal, I'm happy if it somehow still works, support on a best effort basis, but if you're looking for guaranteed support for a platform I can't test on, then that's just not feasible.

EDIT:
misullivan wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:39 ...oh and a thought for you.. as everything else seems to work, how about an option of a pop up window with a cut/pasteable shell script to move or copy? That should be trivial... single quotes around the full file paths and selectable “mv”, “cp” or “ln” ... then at least those of us with older OSes can just cut/paste the resultant patterns into a terminal window and let the OS use the built in tools rather than some version dependent system call...
Yes, but this would require an update, and I don't plan on changing the minimum OS requirements back to 10.10 because I cannot guarantee that there isn't another transitive dependency lurking somewhere. MAS sandboxing probably wouldn't play nice with running commands, but only writing the code and testing it would tell.

:arrow: TL;DR Ditch the Mac App Store. Use the FileBot 4.8.5 PKG installer and get a 1-year complimentary license to go with that. Perhaps your hardware will EOL within that year, and then the problem will have resolved itself.

EDIT 2:

Looking into my options, I can remove FileBot 4.9.0 from the "Last Compatible Package" list, hopefully making it default to FileBot 4.8.5 instead for you, but I can't do that until I submit a new version, and Apple accepts that new version, so please give me a week or two there.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

misullivan wrote:04 Apr 2020, 00:54 Hey,

Dunno what happened to my message from last night but looks like it didn’t send...

Hope it’s alright/allowed to message you directly.

Dunno what the go is with Apple and Java/JavaFX and their requirements, but if they’re requiring you to use a specific version or above and not marking the version incompatible with El Capitan (note the App Store still says compatible with 10.10) then you can log a ticket against them.

Also what do you need? What are the requirements? I haven’t touched Java since I left Sun and Netscape back in 2001, it’s possible I could help.

Sorry about my forum tone, I can be a cantankerous old b*******d sometimes... particularly because Plex just started invalidating my apps and told me to upgrade my servers after stopping support for my BSD installs (again as a paying user)... and to make matters worse when I explained the problem to the support guy, he told me how I was wrong and how I could work around the issue whilst demonstrating he know nothing about libraries and symbols or compatibility layers.. :evil: :( :( :?

Anyhow, how if at all possible can I help?

Regards,

Michelle
IDK. I certainly don't delete any messages, and prefer to keep things public at all times.

Well, technical solution is easy. But getting it deployed on the MAS is not. MAS uses the version requirement that was in the app bundle when it was submitted. So to change that, I'll need to make a new submission, which has to go through Apple Review, which takes time.

This will get the job done. Once FileBot 4.9.1 is released, I can change the compatibility settings to only allow FileBot 4.8.5 and FileBot 4.9.1, which means macOS 10.11 and earlier will get FileBot 4.8.5 automatically, and won't be able to upgrade:
rednoah wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:48 Looking into my options, I can remove FileBot 4.9.0 from the "Last Compatible Package" list, hopefully making it default to FileBot 4.8.5 instead for you, but I can't do that until I submit a new version, and Apple accepts that new version, so please give me a week or two there.

I do feel your pain, because I'm the one who gets to deal with it. I would love to drop MAS support altogether and not deal with any of this shit. But there's existing customers that expect updates indefinitely, so here we are.

Bottomline, we have options nowadays, you have the freedom to not use the Mac App Store, and that'll make life easier for everyone:
rednoah wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:48 Ditch the Mac App Store. Use the FileBot 4.8.5 PKG installer and get a 1-year complimentary license to go with that. Perhaps your hardware will EOL within that year, and then the problem will have resolved itself.
cincyredsfan

Post by cincyredsfan »

Ran into the exact same problem. Used time machine and restored it back to 4.8.5. Solved for me.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

cincyredsfan wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 01:37 FYI disable auto update lol
That would be a very good general advice if you're running an end-of-life operating system and want things to remain unchanged as is forever.
echo123

Post by echo123 »

i have had the same problem, and found a 4.8.5 version independent mac app online, but it requires a license. I bought my Filebot on the MAS originally, which didn't require a license. How can I activate this 4.8.5 so I can start using Filebot again? Anyone have ideas?
mrgreeneyes

Post by mrgreeneyes »

how do i install a previous version on my mac? 4.9.1 will not install on my mac, my os is too old.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Just use the PKG installer for some older version. You don't need Java.
echo123

Post by echo123 »

i found a PKG installer, but it requires a license key to activate, which when i purchased from the Mac App Store no license key was given. so how do i install from PKG?
misullivan

Post by misullivan »

FYi in case I didn't say before the missing symbol is: SecTaskCopySigningIdentifier

Which according to https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... identifier is 10.12+ .. any reason why you must use the symbol? Can you not just ditch it to keep compatibility? (and tell MAS as such on submission.)

Regards,

Michelle
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot 4.9.1 has passed Apple review and is rolling out now. FileBot 4.9.0 has been disabled. If you're using an older version of Mac OS, and install via the Mac App Store, then you should be getting FileBot 4.8.5 now. If you need to downgrade, then uninstalling and reinstalling should do the trick.
misullivan

Post by misullivan »

Thank you! all working now.

For those that don't know how to do it...

Open 'Finder' - Select "Applications" on the left pane, then find filebot.

Right click ( [CTRL]-Click ) and select "Move to Trash"

Open 'App Store', select 'Purchases', go to filebot and click 'Download' it will say, "the current version is not compatible, do you want to download an older version?" .. click 'Download' and wait for it to install.

NOTE: You *cannot* 'rm -r /Applications/Filebot' .. App Store will think the current version is still installed.

NOTE2: *DO NOT* click 'Update' instead of the above - it'll just sit spinning until you close it without doing anything.

NOTE3: If you have App Store open already - hit [CMD]-R or close and reopen - which ever is your preference after using 'Move to Trash' step.
jpf55

Post by jpf55 »

Thank, this method worked for me too.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The correct way to uninstall MAS applications is to open Launchpad, long-click on FileBot, and then press the X when things begin to jiggle jaggle. Think uninstalling apps on iOS.
jpf55

Post by jpf55 »

makes sense but, does that also remove pref files?