No free version anymore?

Support for Windows users
rednoah
The Source

Re: No free version anymore?

Post by rednoah »

molnizzle wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 15:48 Nobody wants a subscription for basic utilities like this. People hate to even subscribe to Adobe software. Just look at the success Serif has had with their Affinity suite of software. They're siphoning Adobe users left and right for one simple reason -- people hate subscriptions for basic tools that don't substantially change over time.
No worries, if your economic theories proof themselves correct, then market forces will naturally force FileBot into a more suitable pricing model before too long. In the meanwhile, you are free to choose alternatives that better fit your requirements in terms of pricing, features and customer support.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
dajabe

Post by dajabe »

This whole thread gave me a bit of a giggle. I registered just to say that and that I purchased a year license. Thanks rednoah for giving me a laugh and providing this software. Now hopefully my Plex library will stop merging my show episodes.
Echelon2020

Post by Echelon2020 »

Well here's my 2 cents:
You took an open source project and put it beyond a paywall.
Pretty unethical but here is what's the most fucked up.
You keep comparing yourself to Mr Lizard and Facebook and everywhere you bump into your tiny app on the internet it does the Trump-Trick...
It constantly glorifies itself in a morbid form of narcissism with buzzwords like "the greatest", "the best" etc..
And in the end when evaluating this tool and it's overall functionality... I would rate it lower than Winrar and we all
know the type of people who paid for that.

Well to everyone out there, here is my trick to avoid Filebot:

1. Download and install the FREE (!!) tool Oracle VirtualBox.
(Imagine full virtualisation software completely free...)

2. Download a Windows 7 ISO or Windows 10 V1709 and
have the OS installed in VirtualBox.

3. Install TheRenamer
(Imagine a rename tool completely free...)
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

wow, that is a lot of work for a program that has not been updated in 6 years...
what can you "rename", does any of it work ?

btw: "FORUM CLOSED"
http://www.therenamer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Wow, your "trick" there really underscores why FileBot is better off as paid and actively maintained software, rather than "free" (if you don't value time) abandonware that stopped working years ago. ;)

kim wrote: 10 May 2020, 23:42 that is a lot of work for a program that has not been updated in 6 years...
FileBot on SourceForge has only not been updated for 3-4 years, and presumably isn't limited to a Windows 7 VM. :lol:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

Hey @rednoah,

The software's good, worth the money, but...

My only gripe is that it seems to trick you into investing your time that it then holds ransom; let me explain, from the website to the download to OBE in app it looks like free software and acts like free software and it even used to be free software. A user downloads this software, spends time, in my case a few hours, setting up the software, specifying names for files and deleting entries that are incorrect, then, when everything is ready and a major time commitment has been made, the software asks for a key. Perhaps I missed a message but it should absolutely be more clear that the software offered is only a trial, I might have paid for the software if it didn't have this predatory design. C'est la vie, I like writing my own scripts anyways...

Cheers Mate! Taiwan #1!