Designating 'default' audio track

Any questions? Need some help?
nartana

Designating 'default' audio track

Post by nartana »

Earlier this year, Kim and rednoah helped with a renaming script that identifies the audio track with highest bitrate, most channels/objects, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11524&start=50

Below is an example of a renamed directory:

Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991) 153 mins [1920x1080 @26.9 Mbps] TrueHD.5.1 [6ch]

In identifying the 'best' audio track for renaming, can a FB/groovy script "designate" the same track as the movie's "default," or preferred audio?

Media playback apps often select the 'best' audio track automatically; however, sometimes apps select a wildly inferior track (i.e. AAC instead of an available DTS-MA with all other factors constant.)

Is there a way for my script to simultaneously 'designate' the same audio track (it identifies as 'the best audio track') as the default, or preferred audio track, for the actual file? So playback apps can select it.

Or, is that outside of the scope of what FileBot does? Just curious.

Thanks again to Kim and rednoah for helping find solutions w/ the script to find the 'best audio track.' I'm so happy with my library, right now, I can't even tell you.

Best,
Erin
rednoah
The Source

Re: Designating 'default' audio track

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, that would require FileBot to modify files, and so it's not possible. Primarily because MediaInfo is read-only and cannot write, so the code for that doesn't exist. If you have a 3rd party command-line tool that can do the job though, then FileBot can help you call that tool with the approriate arguments.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
nartana

Post by nartana »

Thank you Rednoah, I understand what you're saying.

I'll do some searching for info about calling MKVToolNix, or something similar. It'd be cool if that app could mark "default/forced" for the track identified in my FB script.

At the same time, I know there's a limit to how much we can/should seek to automate. ha. Just kidding.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot does have the -exec option so it’d be quite easy if mkvpropedit could be used to set a given track to default.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.