AniDB error

Any questions? Need some help?
zerohart

AniDB error

Post by zerohart »

Hi I have used Filebot a while back, even paid for a one year license back when it when I got Windows 10. For a while I have had no need for it, since I have not been doing much of a cleanup of my media. But I recently upgraded my PC and decided to use my old one as a Plex server, anyways, just got the lifetime license since I was going to use it a lot. and I tried to rename a show, the first season renamed perfectly, as soon as I went to the second season I got an AnimDB error Banned message and cannot move forward from that. I did a quick google search and it seems like this is a known issue, but in reality I would use filebot only for anime and nothing else, so if AniDB is not working and no other anime database is in the app then I have no need for this. is there a fix I can do or something?
rednoah
The Source

Re: AniDB error

Post by rednoah »

Are you using a VPN or a shared IP? What exactly does the error message say?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
zerohart

Post by zerohart »

Not using any VPN

The error simply says:

AniDB error: Banned

and again it worked for season one, as soon as I did it for season 2 that error showed up, and It was like 12 episodes so it was not like a crazy amount of episodes either.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Just use TheTVDB or TheMovieDB instead and switch to Absolute Order if you prefer that over SxE numbers.

Alternatively, you can also wait for a few days for AniDB to unban your IP. If your IP gets banned without you doing anything, then that's likely because someone who is sharing the same IP is abusing AniDB.

EDIT:

The other obvious but often forgotten workaround is to just use a different internet connection, e.g. using your phone as a hotspot for a few minutes.
zerohart

Post by zerohart »

Thanks will try that.
DrDieless

Post by DrDieless »

I will throw my name on the pile. I too have been receiving that error, but it's not consistent. I am doing some mass renaming, for Plex purposes. Maybe AniDB has issue with getting so many requests in a short period of time? I will rename a couple series, but then "poof" get the AniDB banned message. Do they have a cooldown between renames or have a "only X renames per min"?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

DrDieless wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 22:16 I will throw my name on the pile. I too have been receiving that error, but it's not consistent. I am doing some mass renaming, for Plex purposes. Maybe AniDB has issue with getting so many requests in a short period of time? I will rename a couple series, but then "poof" get the AniDB banned message. Do they have a cooldown between renames or have a "only X renames per min"?
If you're using Plex, then I'd highly recommend using TheTVDB for everything, and translating all the numbers to TheTVDB numbers, or just using TheTVDB with Absolute Order and matching your Plex library settings accordingly:
viewtopic.php?t=2769

:idea: AFAIK, AniDB has a limit of ~100 requests per day. At least that's what I remember from a few years ago. If you try to process a large library in a single day, then you will definitely hit the limit. Note that AniDB doesn't have "renames per minute" because AniDB is not a renamer. The limit refers to API requests, typically 1 request per 1 episode list. If you rename the same files over and over, then you can have unlimited renames because FileBot will cache the information and not request it over and over. But if you rename lots of different shows, then FileBot will need to request lots of different episode listings, and then you will run into the limit.