Bugged xattr on a movie

Any questions? Need some help?
AbedlaPaille

Bugged xattr on a movie

Post by AbedlaPaille »

I have this error from a week ago on a movie: Failed to set xattr: NoSuchFileException

When i rename it without xattr it doesn't create extended attributes i think, as when i do F3 in GUI the original file disappears (both panels empty) and CLI with --db xattr does not see the movie.

I think the issue started when i moved my library to a new drive, but most if not all the other files are fine.

I found out by hardlinking the library for different folder sorting orders: the subtitle got linked, the new folder structure worked, even displayed attributes like size and mbps of the video file but the video file itself didn't move.

I'm on Windows 10 and Filebot 4.9.1
rednoah
The Source

Re: Bugged xattr on a movie

Post by rednoah »

Are xattr supported on the target file system?

Creating new hardlinks does not "move" or "delete" existing hardlinks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link#Example
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
AbedlaPaille

Post by AbedlaPaille »

1. Yes. All files but one work.

2. The video file wasn't hardlinked to the new location with --db xattr
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What does the log say? It'll either work, or print an error message, if you use --action hardlink that is. Note that you can't create hardlinks across file systems.

:idea: It is of course possible that the OS / underlying file system lies about the operation being successful, but that would be a highly unlikely very severe file system issue. Though not completely unexpected if we're talking about a remote file system.
AbedlaPaille

Post by AbedlaPaille »

The log doesn't print an error message and it doesn't work either.

The log doesn't show any line on the video file, it skips it, works on the subtitle next to it though, but the video file is like invisible in --db xattr mode.

I went in GUI to troubleshoot and tried F3, instead of renaming with xattr or not doing anything it straight removed the file from the Original Files panel, so both panel end up empty after F3.

Still in GUI i renamed the movie using tmdb db, works. But i had hoped it'd create extended attributes like usual but still nothing and same issues.

It's a local HDD on Windows 10.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you're using --db xattr then FileBot will only process files with xattr, therefore excluding / ignoring files without xattr. If you're processing files against TheMovieDB, then the existence of xattr is irrelevant. FileBot will process files as usual and try to set xattr, and so that again will either work, or log an error.

My first step would be to check the file in question, and see if it's got xattr or not. So that we can determine if it should work but doesn't, or if it shouldn't work and doesn't work.