How to name Cartoon series with multiple episodes per single episode

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
samarmenfilms

How to name Cartoon series with multiple episodes per single episode

Post by samarmenfilms »

Hi guys new here so please excuse the ignorance. I have tried looking for multiple old cartoon series but many (Even on original source DVD's) have multiple episodes/names for episodes. Ex: Super Mario Brothers Super Show "The Bird! The Bird! Neatness Counts" One episode was live action and one was the cartoon feature but even on the source DVD they are grouped like this as the live action portions led into the cartoon segment. Having similar issues with Super Mario Brothers 3 cartoon series, Dexter's Lab, Mighty Mightor/Moby Dick, Birdman and Galaxy Trio, Aquaman (1968) and a few others. Dexter's Lab was all cartoon but would sometimes have another cartoon feature like Dial M For Monkey etc. When I've looked up these series on FB I notice they are separated into individual episodes and I am not given the option to group them same with Mightor/Moby and Birdman Galaxy Trio, Aquaman and Plasticman were often 2 episodes per feature as well. New to using FB so would love to know a fix here.....or at least a naming version so Metadata will pull even if I have to manually name the entire series for these cartoon series. Thanks in advance for any help
rednoah
The Source

Re: How to name Cartoon series with multiple episodes per single episode

Post by rednoah »

There are many techniques that can be used to deal with tricky files, some of those techniques may work for some of your files, but not others, and vice versa, and so for specific advice on how to deal with specific file paths, we would need you to paste those specific file paths as text so we can see what you're dealing with exactly:
viewtopic.php?t=1868

Here's some general advice:
rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 Q: How do I fix misidentified files?
If the series / movie is not auto-detected correctly you can SHIFT-CLICK Image the database to force manual input and selection of the series or movie. You can manually fix an individual match via Double-Click ➔ Image Edit Match. As a last resort, you can always grab the episode list in in the Episodes panel and then drag-and-drop or selectively copy-and-paste the episode data you want over into Rename. Click Match Image to automatically align files with episodes or use drag-n-drop to realign ImageImage files and episode data. There's video tutorials here and here that'll show you how it works.

If you're using the command-line you can do the same via the --q and --filter options. Please read --q manual lookup and --filter and fine-tuning manual and have a look at the video tutorial. The --mapper option may also come in handy. When dealing with problematic files manually on the command-line, the --action TEST and --mode interactive options can be very useful.
:arrow: https://www.filebot.net/manual.html
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
samarmenfilms

Post by samarmenfilms »

This is what it looks like when comparing them I have the original DVD files for each and it's like 2 episodes in 1. The Filebot lookup source shows all episodes separated. Just not sure what to do here as I can't split them but need a way to format the naming so the metadata will pull correctly.
samarmenfilms

Post by samarmenfilms »

Here is the wikipedia page for Super Mario Super Show. Clearly shows 2 episodes per episode it was a live action segment and a cartoon segment.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Since your files are already pretty well-named already, things should work out-of-the-box.

:?: Are you using a custom format? I recommend using {plex} or {plex.name}.

:?: The screenshots show what it looks like if you do manual matching by dragging the entire episode list into the New Names list. What results do you get if you auto-match with TheTVDB as usual? Does auto-matching not work?

Here's what I get:
1. Create test files based on your screenshots ➔ Load into FileBot
2. Select Fetch Data ➔ TheTVDB
3. Series auto-detection and multi-episode matching works out-of-the-box for the given sample file paths
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

FYI: your files are in DVD order but you match files in Airdate order
also your files are 3 in 1 BUT the order is in Airdate order = BAD

e.g
Spacecase
Home / Series / Dexter's Laboratory / Aired Order / Season 1 / Episode 31
Home / Series / Dexter's Laboratory / DVD Order / Season 1 / Episode 11
https://thetvdb.com/series/dexters-labo ... des/268725

Code: Select all

Dexter's Laboratory S01E31-E33
samarmenfilms

Post by samarmenfilms »

I usually look up the series first on TVDB then match it season by season. So what you see in the screenshot was following that process. I'm doing my initial pass on my files to prep it for setting up a plex. Worried that these will not work properly. Any suggestions?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, the naming should work, but the File<->Episode matches are all wrong, which probably isn't what you want. You can check my screenshot as an example of how of things should look like.