[Windows] Create symbolic links as normal user

Support for Windows users
lakersfankb81

[Windows] Create symbolic links as normal user

Post by lakersfankb81 »

I tried changing Filebot to always run as an Administrator using the application properties in the photo above. I was getting some errors when trying to rename using the platform normally but doing so as an admin fixed that part. After setting to run as an admin, the Filebot AMC Script stopped working (it runs on a torrent completion in Qbittorrent). I figured it had to do with me making the admin changes so I reverted and then all was well again.

Does anyone know why that might not work? Do I have to change the command I'm running in Qbittorrent?

Thanks for any help! Finally getting my library sorted out and I have been loving Filebot and AMC so far!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Set Filebot to always run as Admin, AMC wont run on torrent completion

Post by rednoah »

What does the error log / console output say when it doesn't work?

:!: Don't run FileBot as root or Administrator. If there is a permission problem, solve the permission problem. If you run FileBot as root or Administrator you may be able to bypass permissions, but you may also create new much more intricate problems along the way.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
lakersfankb81

Post by lakersfankb81 »

I guess I won't worry about it then really if it will create more complicated issues down the road.
I was getting errors using the platform when trying to use the Keeplink action I remember, but using Admin helped with those 1 or 2 folders.
AMC has been amazing!!!
Not a huge problem either way. Thanks for the help and info about not using Filebot as Admin.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I remember that older versions of Windows 10 did require Administrator privileges to create symlinks or hardlinks, but this has not been an issue for a long time. I can create hardlinks just fine on my Windows machine as my normal user.

:idea: Note that the file system may report "Access Denied" (or other misleading error messages) when you're trying to do something that isn't possible, e.g. creating symlinks or hardlinks on networks shares.
Fiorelli

Post by Fiorelli »

I found that the local group policies of my Windows 10 install limited the creation of symbolic links to the Administrator group, but this can be easily changed.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Good catch! I wonder if I got those registry settings by activating Developer Mode. Good to know that it might not be default on a pristine Windows installation.
lakersfankb81

Re: [Windows] Create symbolic links as normal user

Post by lakersfankb81 »

My permissions were also like Fiorelli's.
Thanks for the help everybody!