Allow other user to use Filebot

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
nearness

Allow other user to use Filebot

Post by nearness »

I am not really well versed in the synology system, so this may not be (easily) possible.

I want to allow another (non-admin) user to use the filebot node application. The application works fine when a user is part of the administration group, but it is not accessible when a user is not part of this group. With other synology applications it is possible to give a user permissions to use a certain application (e.g. download station). The filebot node application is however not listed there.

Any help is appreciated.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Allow other user to use Filebot

Post by rednoah »

I'm not sure. Maybe it works already and just doesn't show you the icon on the WebUI Desktop. Maybe it just can't work.

:arrow: Assuming that you're using a more powerful Intel-based Synology NAS, you can just use docker instead and set your authentication password, or not use authentication at all:
https://www.filebot.net/linux/docker.html

EDIT:

I've check on DSM 7.* and normal uses can indeed access FileBot Node by directly opening the iframe URL, so it's really just a matter of DSM not displaying the link for normal users:

Code: Select all

http://<IP>:5000/webman/3rdparty/filebot-node/index.html
:!: FileBot Node for Synology does indeed allow any access to any user, which in turn allows any DSM authenticated user to run arbitrary code. FileBot Node itself will always run as the package-specific internal user, so any DSM authenticated will be able to run code with those permissions. Notably, FileBot Node does not run filebot as your DSM authenticated user, and may thus allow users to run code with unexpected permissions.

Future versions of FileBot Node will enable the FileBot Node shortcut icon for normal users as well, since it already works anyway, and it's not good to have that as a "hidden" feature.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
nearness

Re: Allow other user to use Filebot

Post by nearness »

Thanks for looking into this! Just want to confirm that this solution (or maybe workaround) works. Adding a shortcut will be a good addition.