Mac App Store to Linux license

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
SteffanCline

Mac App Store to Linux license

Post by SteffanCline »

I purchased FileBot from the mac app store but now my server is on Ubuntu so I'd like to use it there. Anyone know of a way to extract the license from the mac version and use it in the Ubuntu version?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Mac App Store to Linux license

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, you cannot. If you use the Mac App Store, than Apple will safeguard your digital purchases. Unfortunately, this means that your digital purchase cannot be transferred to another Store nor extracted from your Apple account:
viewtopic.php?t=6265

:!: Mac App Store purchases are limited to Mac App Store platforms. Microsoft Store purchases are limited to Microsoft Store platforms. The same applies to all digital stores, iOS, Android, Stream, Nintendo, etc.

EDIT:

We can offer 1-year universal license keys though:
viewtopic.php?t=10881

NOTE: complimentary 1-year licenses are complimentary in nature and not related or tied to any Store purchases
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
SteffanCline

Post by SteffanCline »

How about a coupon code for a significant discount on the lifetime since I have the mac version already and am switching to Ubuntu?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Implementing support for coupon codes for our universal license system would require significant development time and maintenance time over time, and open up the system to vulnerabilities, especially if automated and accessible on the internet. Moreover, exchanging Microsoft Store and Mac App Store purchases for coupon codes cannot be automated because Microsoft and Apple "protect" customer information from developers. It certainly would be nice, but it's just not a 1-click 0-effort kind of thing, and we would rather keep things simple and avoid unnecessary complexity.

In the meanwhile, I'll issue you a 1-year complimentary license. That is 0-effort right now and defers the issue until next year.
SteffanCline

Post by SteffanCline »

@rednoah, thank you for that. I really appreciate it!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No worries. It's a valid question. Cheers!