Bug/Issue Report: Personal Presets no longer available after installing the Latest Version of Java (8-371)

Any questions? Need some help?
DelfrCorp

Bug/Issue Report: Personal Presets no longer available after installing the Latest Version of Java (8-371)

Post by DelfrCorp »

My personal Presets became unavailable after upgrading to the latest version of Java (Version 8-371) today.
Windows 10 Filebot 5.0.2

This issue was only resolved after performing the following steps:
  1. Uninstalling Java
  2. Deleting all Java Settings from Program Files & AppData
    NB: Removing all of those settings may not be necessary to resolve this issue, but it was simpler to delete them all
    rather than go through multiple attempts to figure exactly which ones actually needed or didn't need to be removed.
  3. Installing an earlier version of Java (8-361).
    NB: Only removing the newer version of Java & installing the earlier one did not work.
    The issue was only resolved after following all 3 Steps.

Environment information:

Code: Select all

FileBot 5.0.2 (r9722)
JNA Native: 6.1.4
MediaInfo: 22.12
7-Zip-JBinding: 16.02
Tools: fpcalc/1.5.0 mkvpropedit/76.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2023-04-28 (r901)
Groovy: 4.0.11
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 17.0.6
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 16 Core / 8 GB Max Memory / 39 MB Used Memory
STORAGE: NTFS [(C:)] @ 51 GB | NTFS [Expansion] @ 201 GB
DATA: C:\Users\DelfrCorp\AppData\Roaming\FileBot
Package: MSI
rednoah
The Source

Re: Bug/Issue Report: Personal Presets no longer available after installing the Latest Version of Java (8-371)

Post by rednoah »

FileBot notably does not use the Java binaries you may or may not have installed on your system. Installing / Uninstalling the Oracle Java package has no effect. Making Windows Registry changes may have an effect though.

If you're using the MSI installer, then your user preferences are stored in the Windows Registry, and a backup of your user preferences is exported to the FileBot application data folder once per month.

:arrow: If you have a lot of custom presets, then you will want to export them and back them up to cloud storage once in a while:
viewtopic.php?t=4205
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
WasabiNME

Re: Bug/Issue Report: Personal Presets no longer available after installing the Latest Version of Java (8-371)

Post by WasabiNME »

This just happened to me after a Java update. All my presets gone.

I wish you would make saving presets much simpler than the groovy pad nonsense. I'm far from the first person to ask. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing in the interface letting me know such a thing even exists. I had to Google here and find out that you need to press F5 to discover that section. And the preferences XML file that gets backed up every month doesn't even have the presets in it. How about at least stick them there?

I understand this needs to be cross-platform, so why not just a simple text file in the same folder as the executable that contains all of the presets? And then put an import / export feature somewhere obviously visible on the interface? Nobody should have to crawl through the forums here to figure out how to do any of this after an inevitable preset loss.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: If you run an application as your normal user, then it cannot write to Program Files since that folder requires privileges to write to, and so installed applications cannot write to their own install folder.

:idea: However, if you use the portable version, then all your user data including Presets is stored in the application folder.

:idea: All application data for all your applications is in %APPDATA% (except for applications that use the Windows Registry; FileBot uses both). FileBot follows the standard Windows convention and stores files to %APPDATA%/FileBot. See Manual › Where is the application data folder? How do I backup my settings? How do I restore my settings? for details. I will at this point recommend reading the entire manual. You will surely learn all kinds of things you didn't yet know that you wanted to know.

:idea: If you want to backup your settings for any application, then %APPDATA% is the first place to check. Groovy Pad is just a FileBot-specific shortcut to get you there, but you can backup your settings without FileBot running by copying the %APPDATA%/FileBot folder.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.