[PSA] Important Discussion of Changes effective as of 28 Apr 2023

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
rednoah
The Source

[PSA] Important Discussion of Changes effective as of 28 Apr 2023

Post by rednoah »

⭑⭑ UPDATE: These changes have been rolled out as of 28 Apr 2023. ⭑⭑

:arrow: tl;dr If you want the previous default behaviour, then you can explicitly specify the previous default configuration:

Shell: Select all

--def movieFormat="{plex}" seriesFormat="{plex}" animeFormat="{plex}" --def movieDB=TheMovieDB seriesDB=TheTVDB animeDB=AniDB
ScreenshotScreenshot

Code: Select all

[PSA] Important Discussion of Proposed Changes:
https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13406
The amc script traditionally has been using the following default options:

1. {plex} format as default naming scheme for movie / series / anime file, i.e. human-friendly naming without {tmdb-123} markers:

--def movieFormat="{plex}" seriesFormat="{plex}" animeFormat="{plex}"
2. TheMovieDB / TheTVDB / AniDB as default database for movie / series / anime files:

--def movieDB=TheMovieDB seriesDB=TheTVDB animeDB=AniDB
:idea: You can opt-out of any possible or potential future changes by explicitly setting the database and format for each content type instead of relying on whatever settings are used by default.

Important Discussion of Proposed Changes:

We propose the following potentially BREAKING CHANGES to be rolled out at some point in the future:

⭑⭑ UPDATE: These changes have been rolled out as of 28 Apr 2023. ⭑⭑

1. use {plex.id} format as default naming scheme, i.e. more machine-friendly naming with {tmdb-123} markers:

--def movieFormat="{plex.id}" seriesFormat="{plex.id}" animeFormat="{plex.id}"
2. use TheMovieDB / TheMovieDB::TV (Airdate Order) / TheMovieDB::TV (with AniDB / Absolute Order mapper) for matching movie / series / anime files respectively:

--def movieDB=TheMovieDB seriesDB=TheMovieDB::TV animeDB=TheMovieDB::TV

:!: {plex.id} will include the movie / series ID in the folder name, so files processed after the change will be sorted into a different folder structure, i.e. files will be sorted into a Alias {tmdb-2046} series folder even if you already have a Alias series folder.

PRO: {plex.id} naming works better for Plex / Kodi / Emby / Jellyfin / etc (since ID tags have been introduced and adopted by different tools in 2020/21 and because ID tags make it explicitly clear which database has been used for naming and numbering a given file)
CON: {plex} is typically preferred by human eyes, mostly works for most users, and most importantly has been the default for many years

:!: TheMovieDB for Airdate SxE Episode Information is quickly becoming the default for Plex / Kodi / Emby / Jellyfin / etc so the amc script should align by default to make things work perfectly out-of-the-box by default:

PRO: If your files use TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE numbering and your Plex / Kodi / Emby / Jellyfin is configured to assume TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE numbering then things will work better by default
CON: If your files use TheTVDB / Airdate SxE numbering and your Plex / Kodi / Emby / Jellyfin is configured to assume TheTVDB / Airdate SxE numbering then things will work less well by default

:!: TheMovieDB for Absolute Episode Information for Anime Episode information generally works better than AniDB nowadays, especially since Plex / Kodi / Emby / Jellyfin / etc generally don't support AniDB at all:

PRO: Better for Anime episodes that already use TheTVDB / TheMovieDB naming and numbering (especially if SxE numbering is given in the original file name, especially if SxE numbering is desired in the target file name)
CON: Worse for Anime episodes that are named and numbered according to AniDB (especially in cases where TheTVDB / TheMovieDB naming and numbering and AniDB naming and numbering are different)

:arrow: You may explicitly set these settings now - before they (possibly) become default at some point in the future - to run tests and provide feedback.

:idea: These new settings are already used by a number of users, and reported to work better for these users. However, these new settings may not necessarily work better for everyone or every use case, and so your milage my vary depending on the files at hand. Please provide feedback and let us know how you fare with the new settings.

UPDATE 08-12-2022:

TheMovieDB::TV / Absolute Order is problematic for actively airing Anime (e.g. One Piece) because even though episodes are usually added ahead of time, also adding them to the Absolute Order Episode Group is often neglected, and so the newly aired episode is likely to not be listed in the Absolute Order episode list in same cases at some times, and so FileBot would then mismatch some other episode as a result of the correct episode not existing according to the Absolute Order episode list.

:idea: Processing absolute-numbered episodes with TheMovieDB/TV thus effectively requires the following options, --order Airdate to retrieve the primary episode list which is guaranteed to include all episodes and then --mapper to map to absolute episode information where possible:

--db TheMovieDB::TV --order Airdate --mapper "any{ order.absolute.episode }{ episode }"
EDIT: The latest revision of the amc script uses default episode order for both TV Series and Anime type content by default. This eliminates the "Latest episode missing from Absolute order" issue discussed above, and neatly organizes Anime like any other TV Series with SxE numbers as an added bonus.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
devster

Re: [AMC] Important Discussion of Proposed Changes

Post by devster »

The only problematic one would be AniDB as they store transliterated titles which aren't available on TheMovieDB, in addition to absolute order being slightly better.
On a separate note, any way to replicate {tmdb-<ID>} with current format bindings?
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

AniDB may indeed work better if the input files follow AniDB naming and numbering. BUT in much the same way, TheMovieDB/TV will work better if input files follow TheMovieDB/TV naming and numbering. In the past, AniDB was the standard. In the present, it's very much a mixed bag. Sometimes AniDB works better. Sometimes TheMovieDB/TV works better. Depends on the file at hand.

That said, TheMovieDB/TV has the huge advantage of being what Plex and friends use, and AniDB has the huge disadvantage of being fundamentally incompatible with SxE numbers, something that is not easy to understand for non-technical users. On this note, { "{tmdb-${tmdbid}}" } requires TheMovieDB/TV to work reliably.
devster

Post by devster »

Maybe a solution could be to rely on AniDB only as primary source for some info only, such as absolute episode numbers.
For anime I'm currently using both like so:

{
	any
		{
			allOf
				{ db.TMDb.sxe }
				{ db.TMDb.absolute.pad(2).surround() } // surround just makes it look like [01]
			.join(' ')
		}
		{ db.AniDB.absolute.pad(2) }
}
Differences I found between AniDB and TheMovieDB::TV are:
  • {info.OriginalLanguage} isn't defined on AniDB
  • localize["x-jat"] is not romanji on TheMovieDB::TV but is correctly romanized and capitalized on AniDB
  • order, obviously, is different, but TheMovieDB::TV seems to have custom order that matches AniDB (e.g. Bakemonogatari here) [is there an option to choose this custom order?]
Anything else?

After some thought, as long as all information for a specific episode from AniDB is available through db.AniDB, changing to TheMovieDB::TV seems like the better choice.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

We definitely don't want to "fake" things at format time. That assumes that the match is already wrong. The xattr metadata is what matters and must be correct.

devster wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 00:36 After some thought, as long as all information for a specific episode from AniDB is available through db.AniDB, changing to TheMovieDB::TV seems like the better choice.
Yep. Exactly. We will likely always require some kind of Anime special case, which then enables some internal --mapper that helps things along in that special case, all other options (i.e. database, order, etc) being the same, so that end-users don't have to worry about the difference and internal separation of TV Series and Anime episodes, and to ensure that the same format works the same for both use cases.
sabinder62

Post by sabinder62 »

hey Rednoah,

Just wanted to throw a little thing in here about this. I can see the proposed changes have come through to the AMC script and my TV shows are now organising themselves into folders with "Show Name - {tmdb-12345}" and Plex is continuiing to work great.

The only niggle is with Sonarr. I had set it up to look for the downloaded episodes in the older "Show name - {tvdb-12345}" folder format to avoid it continuing to download episodes after filebot renamed them. Unfortunately, they don't have an option to use TMDB instead. See screenshot of their media management page - only IMDB, TVDB and TVMaze available. Just sharing in case someone in the community has a potential solution?

https://imgur.com/a/3LLwosk
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

sabinder62 wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 13:29 Just wanted to throw a little thing in here about this. I can see the proposed changes have come through to the AMC script and my TV shows are now organising themselves into folders with "Show Name - {tmdb-12345}" and Plex is continuiing to work great.
The default format is still {plex} so the amc script won't add tmdb-12345 makers by default. You are likely using custom formats, e.g. {plex.id}. In this case, you'd have to switch the database to TheTVDB and thus {plex.id} will give you TVDB markers.

If you want to use TheMovieDB for matching, but also add a TVDB ID marker, then you'll have to write a more custom custom format:
viewtopic.php?t=13662
sabinder62

Post by sabinder62 »

Doh! Of course, thank you! added seriesDB def to amc script for future.
lmericle

Post by lmericle »

Are there plans to add functionality to retroactively add `{tmdb-#####}` to existing folders on our drives?

It's not super important but for cleanliness's sake it would be nice not to have to manually copy files from e.g. "Star Trek - Picard" to "Star Trek - Picard {tmdb-85949}". In our case, the former directory already existed and contained Seasons 1 and 2, and the latter was created upon adding Season 3 to the drive.

`-rename` only renames the files but not the directories.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

lmericle wrote: 09 May 2023, 18:18 Are there plans to add functionality to retroactively add `{tmdb-#####}` to existing folders on our drives?
:arrow: No, in the context of the amc script, but you can make that functionality yourself. See Rename Series Folders for details and examples. You can also just use the GUI to organize files into a new file and folder structure.

:!: Not that BOTH default format AND default database have changed. Adding {tmdb-#####} numbers to files that have been matched and renamed against TheTVDB will be difficult.

EDIT: I've updated the example to translate TheTVDB IDs to TMDBs IDs if necessary.
xIntenso

Re: [PSA] Important Discussion of Changes effective as of 28 Apr 2023

Post by xIntenso »

Hi Rednoah,

Sorry for necro'ing this thread.

Is there a way to stop FileBot from printing the

[PSA] Important Discussion of Changes effective as of 28 Apr 2023:
https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13406
output on every run?

I store filebot output into a log so I can check back if things go wrong, and it's clogging up my logs, plus the information is about a year old now.