[FAQ] How do I update the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition?

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
rednoah
The Source

[FAQ] How do I update the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition?

Post by rednoah »

The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store takes care of everything, remembering your purchases, downloading and installing your purchased applications, and updating your installed applications. You don't have to worry about anything. The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store will automatically update you to the latest release when it is ready.

Q: When will the latest update get published to the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store?

The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition will be published in due time. Typically 2-3 weeks after the non-Store release if everything goes smoothly, i.e. no serious issue bugs are found and Microsoft / Apple review approves of the update. Possibly 2-3 months after the non-Store release if something goes awry. The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store notably does not allow you to downgrade to a previous version if something is amiss with the latest update and so we must take the cautious approach since each update can potentially irreversibly render FileBot useless, until the next update which may be 2-3 weeks away. Hence, some updates may skip the Store entirely if potentially serious issues are found after the initial release.

Q: How do I downgrade to a previous version if the latest update does not work for me?

Unfortunately, you cannot. The unfortunate result of the Store taking care of everything is that you can only install the latest version. The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store do not support upgrades / downgrades to a specific user-selected version.

Q: How can I upgrade to the latest revision?

The Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition cannot be upgraded or downgraded manually due to code signing. If you would like to try the latest revision to run tests, please try the latest portable package. You can apply for a complimentary 1 year universal license if you need a universal license for testing.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
candre23

Re: [FAQ] How do I update the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition?

Post by candre23 »

I purchased filebot through the MS store back in 2018. It's been working great up until the last few days. It's seems it's stuck on version 4.9.6, which is quite old at this point. I'd like to try uninstalling and reinstalling, in the hope that the MS store will install the latest version. Is there any way to export my settings so I don't lose them?
rednoah
The Source

Re: [FAQ] How do I update the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store edition?

Post by rednoah »

candre23 wrote: 11 May 2023, 18:32 It's been working great up until the last few days.
:?: What changed? What's not working now? Please read How to Request Help for details:
rednoah wrote: 31 Jul 2014, 16:40
  • Include Screenshots (absolutely required for new topics)
  • Include file paths as text when reporting mismatches (press F7 to copy debug information)
candre23 wrote: 11 May 2023, 18:32 Is there any way to export my settings so I don't lose them?
:arrow: Backup and Restore Settings
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.