[MAS] Migrate settings from the Mac App Store edition to the standard edition

Support for macOS users
Ohlers

[MAS] Migrate settings from the Mac App Store edition to the standard edition

Post by Ohlers »

Hi, I just updated from 4.9.7 to 5.0.2, and bought a lifetime license.
I have used FileBot for many years, and are super happy with it, thanks for a great software.

Many years ago i somehow have managed to make a functioning preset i like, but I cant remember how and where it is.
I would like to copy my old presets from 4.9.7 version and paste them into the new 5.0.2 version.
How do I do that? Where can I see my old presets?

when I double click the preset editor in the old version its just empty

Alternatively , maybe if I tell you in plain words what I would like to happen, someone could help me out with a code line? (Im really not good with programming stuff)

1) Manually select and draw folders into FileBot
2) Manually choose datasource
3) click Rename
4) auto rename movies or series to Plex-friendly format, including subtitles
5) auto move renamed items to new folder, called either "Movies" or "TV Shows"
6) auto move original movie or episode folder to Trash, including what may remain inside them

thanks Hans Henrik
rednoah
The Source

Re: copy old presets to new update?

Post by rednoah »

All versions of FileBot store settings in the same way, so any settings stored with 4.* will just work with 5.* and vice versa.

:!: Note that FileBot 4.9.7 is exclusive to the Mac App Store (IMPORTANT INFORMATION; Please read How to Request Help for details) and the Mac App Store edition and the standard edition do indeed not share settings, because each edition has its own application data folder. So your question is really about migrating your settings from the Store edition to the non-Store edition, and not between updates.

:arrow: You can manually export all your settings from any FileBot instance and the import them again in another FileBot instance:
viewtopic.php?t=4205

:idea: Please read How do I organize files for Plex? as a general guide on how to organize files into a new file and folder structure at once. Presets then allow you to further automate the process, i.e. match files from predefined input folders with predefined settings. You still do have to click the Rename button manually to confirm though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ohlers

Re: [MAS] Migrate settings from the Mac App Store edition to the standard edition

Post by Ohlers »

thanks for quick reply.
this viewtopic from 2016 refers to F5 and groovy pad, which I dont have installed, and cant find on the internet. Perhaps an outdated information?
rednoah
The Source

Re: [MAS] Migrate settings from the Mac App Store edition to the standard edition

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 08 Oct 2016, 07:34 Press F5 to open Groovy Pad and then click on Image Application Data to Import / Export your User Data.
Open the FileBot application and then press the F5 key on your keyboard to pop up the FileBot Groovy Pad window.

:arrow: How to use the function keys on your Mac
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

F5 on my keyboard is currently linked to "show desktop", so how do i link Groovy Pad to F5?
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

found it - mission control, just change the "show desktop" key to F3
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

So now I have open GroovyPad, and hit "filebot" icon, and clicked "restore user data"
It takes me to "Documents", and no user data is found
(both versions: MAS and standard)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you are using a MacBook, then you may need to hold the FN modifier and the press the standard F5 keyboard key to access the F5 key instead of the macOS media keys.

Please provide Screenshots so we can see where you are stuck. You would typically start with "Export User Data" from the FileBot instance from which you want to export your user data.
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

sorry to repeat my statement:
I have fixed the F5 key, so now GroovePad opens ok
I did start with "Export User Data" , but no prior user data is found
How do I upload a screenshot to this post?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Click on Screenshots to learn how to share screenshots.

If you click Export User Data then you will be presented with a Save File dialog. Click Save. FileBot will then store your user data to a *.zip archive.

:?: So you are saying you're getting an error message at some point? What exactly does the error message say? If it's a FileBot error message, then you can click on the error message to copy the error message to the clipboard.

EDIT:

The screenshot you posted looks like the Load File dialog you will see in response to clicking Restore User Data. You'll want to first export your user data to a *.zip archive, and then restore your user data from that *.zip archive in a second step.
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

So the user data exported from the MAS version, can be imported / used in the standard version ?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Ohlers wrote: 16 May 2023, 14:45 So the user data exported from the MAS version, can be imported / used in the standard version ?
Yes.

1. Open FileBot 4.9.7
  2. Export User Data to *.zip archive
  3. Open FileBot 5.0.2
  4. Restore User Data from *.zip archive

:!: If you have already deleted Mac App Store edition FileBot 4.9.7 and installed standard edition FileBot 5.0.2 instead and are unable to run them side-by-side, then you will need to first uninstall FileBot 5.0.2, then install FileBot 4.9.7 from the Mac App Store, then export your user data from FileBot 4.9.7, then install FileBot 5.0.2 and restore your user data there.

EDIT:

:idea: You may be able to access the preferences.backup.xml file directly from the application data folder if switching between different editions / versions is too much hassle:
rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 Q: Where is the application data folder? How do I backup my settings? How do I restore my settings?
The default location for application data (e.g. settings, logs, etc) is %APPDATA%\FileBot on Windows and $HOME/.filebot on macOS and Linux. You can backup and restore your settings via Export User Data and Import User Data.

e.g. Mac, Linux, BSD:

Code: Select all

~/.filebot
e.g. Mac App Store:

~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

one last question: (perhaps pertinent to a new subject?)
It turns out I have the simple setting: {plex}
renames and copies files to "Movie" folder
How do I script the remaining original folders to "move to trash"
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will automatically delete left-behind empty folders. However, the FileBot Desktop application unfortunately does not support mass-deletion of non-empty files and folders.

EDIT:

:idea: You'd typically have your format move / rename files into a new target folder:

/path/to/Media/{plex}
After processing all the useful files from the input folder, you can then manually delete the entire input folder at once and whatever is left behind inside when you are ready to do so, or leave them forever if clutter files and folders don't bother you.
Ohlers

Post by Ohlers »

yes thats my problem :) Some torrents have added lots of non-essential stuff to the folder, like .exe , .txt, .jpg, .nfo etc