Recent version is failing to identify episodes

Support for Windows users
ShaggyDragon

Recent version is failing to identify episodes

Post by ShaggyDragon »

I've been a long term user of Filebot and it's been a real help. However in recent versions (possibly the most recent update), matches using TheMovieDB or TheTVDB are failing to return results where they previously would have worked. When I drag multiple files onto Filebot, the following are failing a match and not showing any matches at all:

The.Flash.2014.S09E07.Wildest.Dreams.720p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb it's trying to match "The Flash 2014"
Ghosts.2021.S02E18.720p.WEB.h264-ETHEL this is trying to match "Ghosts 2021"
Quantum.Leap.2022.S01E17.720p.WEB.h264-ELEANOR is trying to match "Quantum Leap 2022"

The following bring up a list of matches:
Chicago.Med.S08E17.720p.WEB.h264-ELEANOR this one matches "Chicago P.D."

The following will match without a dialog:
South.Park.S26E06.720p.WEB.h264-BAE
Star.Trek.Picard.S03E07.720p.WEB.h264-ETHEL
The.Ark.S01E09.The.Painful.Way.720p.PCOK.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb

However, when I cancel the matches, the program does manage to match everything correctly.

Any ideas why it is complaining about not matching and then matching properly?

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Recent version is failing to identify episodes

Post by rednoah »

You mean FileBot is asking you to select something, but the list to select from is empty? I think this issue was fixed last week.

:arrow: Please check the latest revision to confirm if the issue has indeed been fixed for your use case:
viewtopic.php?t=1609

:idea: Sample Files:

Code: Select all

Chicago.Med.S08E17.720p.WEB.h264-ELEANOR.mkv
Ghosts.2021.S02E18.720p.WEB.h264-ETHEL.mkv
Quantum.Leap.2022.S01E17.720p.WEB.h264-ELEANOR.mkv
South.Park.S26E06.720p.WEB.h264-BAE.mkv
Star.Trek.Picard.S03E07.720p.WEB.h264-ETHEL.mkv
The.Ark.S01E09.The.Painful.Way.720p.PCOK.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv
The.Flash.2014.S09E07.Wildest.Dreams.720p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ShaggyDragon

Post by ShaggyDragon »

I was using the latest version - 5.01, I'm using the Windows Store version, so changing to beta seems a bit of a chore. I've now uninstalled and gone back to 4.9.6 and all is working fine. Will stick to this version for a while.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot 5.* has not been released on the Microsoft Store, so if you're using the Microsoft Store edition, then FileBot 4.9.6 is the latest version you can have. The Microsoft Store notably also does not allow users to downgrade software, so I'm confused...

:idea: If you find issues in the future, please make sure to post sysinfo output as well so that we can confirm the FileBot version at hand. Please read How to Request Help for details.
ShaggyDragon

Post by ShaggyDragon »

Sorry, I was mistaken, it was purchased directly for this renewal. I'd previously purchased it from the windows store.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see. That explains things. Thanks for getting back to us.
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Greetings,

So what was the resolution? I, also, am a longtime user of filebot and have recently run into this issue. I only updated as a 'Hail Mary!' that it might resolve my issue. I looked at the beta tree and 5.1.1 is the only very in that tree. So that isn't a resolution option either.

I had not updated in a while, because everything was working fine. The last time I used the tool, on the prior version, was the last week of Aug IIRC. Things appeared to match fine. Today, again w/no version deviation from that last working anchor point, I ran into erroneous/no matches. The update did nothing to rectify that.

I'm attempting to curate Season 4 of The X-Files. I've tried various permutations of the match (airdate, strict, opportunistic, absolute, etc) nothing there appears to change the behavior I am seeing. My log file had data going back to 2021 so, w/the new update, I created a new directory and moved my license file over. I had also seen some issues wrt cache version incorrectness. Anyway, after doing that, starting the app, and then attempting the matches in the screenshot below, the log file has no new data.
https://snipboard.io/6wip34.jpg
https://pastebin.com/LtvQ6qrq

Screenshot

I did see some verbiage on matching that implied, if not actually stated for all cases, that sxe (order) would take precedent. So how is it possible that it can not/no longer map The X-Files s4e19.mkv to ../The X-Files/Season 04/The X-Files - S04E19 - Synchrony.mkv? Why is the first item E17, pink highlighted when it _actually_ matched? The preset I'm using is here -> https://snipboard.io/CNwa4o.jpg

Screenshot

I can manually edit the match and find the episode w/out issue. So the correct data is getting sourced from themoviedb just fine.
https://snipboard.io/gkWXtI.jpg
Continuing on to use that results in this -> https://snipboard.io/l7Q0ia.jpg

Screenshot

Screenshot

If I manually match them like that and then click rename, it will do the right thing; same as before. It's this 'sudden' _irksome_ falling over wrt to actually doing the matching that's the issue; seems like a regression from prior behavior.

Please advise.
Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks like the "Season 4 Disk 5" pattern is interpreted as S04E05 and so everything goes awry from there.

You would not run into this issue if files weren't named "Season X Disk Y" so that's why you might not have run into issues with other files that were named differently.

EDIT:

:?: What is the origin of the files you have? If you rip files from disk, then you would typically get "Season 4 Disk 5" naming, but no S01E01. Having both Disk numbers and S01E01 in the same file name is somewhat unusual. Did you add the S01E01 number manually or where they somehow extracted from the Disk the files are ripped from?
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

rednoah wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 10:41 Looks like the "Season 4 Disk 5" pattern is interpreted as S04E05 and so everything goes awry from there.

You would not run into this issue if files weren't named "Season X Disk Y" so that's why you might not have run into issues with other files that were named differently.
This is why I explicitly altered the naming for episode 19; The X-Files s4e19.mkv. That leaves _zero_ room for doubt/confusion on which episode it is/should be used for the matching. What possible reason would there be to ignore that and, instead, base its matching on prior, clearly incorrect, episode matches? I want sSeEE to be _THE_, "GFY <to the matcher criteria>...use this instead." And this, that it has worked this way, has been my observed behavior/result for some years now. It is why I append it in my workflow.
rednoah wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 10:41 EDIT:

:?: What is the origin of the files you have? If you rip files from disk, then you would typically get "Season 4 Disk 5" naming, but no S01E01. Having both Disk numbers and S01E01 in the same file name is somewhat unusual. Did you add the S01E01 number manually or where they somehow extracted from the Disk the files are ripped from?
I had like...a granular description of everything. I went to preview and it made me relog in...which lost everything I typed. F.M.L. ...not doing that again.

tl;dr - Season S Disk D is part of the disk label. Part of my workflow ends up with files in the form of the disk label w/an appended (_[A-Z]_[A-Z0-9]{8})?\.iso. Makemkv has its own output expansion options for which I set {NAME}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_t:N2}. Which gets me output like:

Code: Select all

-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.6G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t00.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t01.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.7G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t02.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t03.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.6G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t04.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t05.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.7G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t06.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t07.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.7G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t08.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t09.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.6G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t10.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 redacted  redacted   9.5G Jan  5  2023 The X-Files, Season 5 Disc 1_t11.mkv
This requires curation as it may not always be that t00 == first episode for that disc. In fact for Season 4, discs 1-4 were nicely mapped but discs 5 and 6 deviated substantially. It's also relevant that the above has duplicates. For Season 4 only the first 4 were non-duplicates. Outside of special features/etc.

To combat all of this, I go through and tease out the mapping/ordering, replace the _tXX with sSeEE, delete the cruft, and dump in all of the curated files for filebot to match/rename. The sSeEE should take ultimate precedent. This is why I have been adding it since I first started using filebot; long time now. This has always been the observed 'nuke' on how to remove all doubt/confusion for the match.

Can you please return this to being a thing or make it a thing? Even if that means more special glyphing, e.g. enclosed in @ == ignore other 'season/episode number matches'. Appending is easy, having to go through and remove/sanitize titles now to then have the appended thing work is onerous.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

NaCl wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 19:34 What possible reason would there be
Unfortunately, you have "Season 4 Disk 5" in the folder name which applies to all files inside that folder:

Screenshot

:idea: We will of course add your sample file paths to our test cases, and ensure that S00E00 takes precedence over Season X Disk Y in future revisions for this type of corner case.

:idea: The long-term solution is better support of your use case, but you'll have the wait a week for that. The short-term solution that you can implement yourself right now is using different file and folder names that avoid the troublesome Season X Disk Y pattern, e.g. Season 1 DVD 1 or V01D01T01 would work.

NaCl wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 19:34 I go through and tease out the mapping/ordering, replace the _tXX with sSeEE
Sounds like you are manually adding S00E00 numbers to your files, by playing each video file, checking SxE numbers on the TheTVDB / TheMovieDB website, and then manually renaming files to add the correct S01E01 number.

:?: Have you considered dumping files into FileBot as-is after ripping with makemkv? Linear Rename with Manual Matching if necessary is the way to go for this kind of use case. You can fix multiple matches by using drag-n-drop to reorder files or episodes, use Edit Match to fix individual matches, use Open to play a video file to confirm the match, etc.

:idea: Automatic Matching seems ill-suited for your use case, since you'll be doing most of the work yourself by adding SxE numbers manually anyhow, even once the Season X Disk Y issue is fixed. I'd do all that work in FileBot in the first place by manually aligning files with episodes.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r10039 removes support for "Season 4 Disk 5" patterns for being prone to misinterpretation and thus fixes the issue above. The "Season 4 Disk 5" pattern was added 10 May 2021 according to the change logs, so it's been around of a while. Some users may be relying on the behaviour that we have now removed. Time will tell.