Stop FileBot opening multiple instances

Support for Windows users
kiwichick

Stop FileBot opening multiple instances

Post by kiwichick »

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to stop FB opening multiple instances? I have a shortcut to FB in my SendTo menu. I send a folder to FB and perform my actions. But when I send another folder to FB and, instead of using the already open instance, it opens a new one.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Stop FileBot opening multiple instances

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, not supported.

:idea: If you use the Send To menu or the Open With then Windows will always run the given program. "Stop FileBot opening multiple instances" would require FileBot to check if there's another FileBot running already on startup, then somehow talk to that running instance and send over the input file paths, and then quit. This would be difficult to build and maintain, and very low-priority considering that the "Send To" menu is already not in the default context menu anymore since the Windows 11 release.

:?: Why not just use drag-n-drop though?

:arrow: If you've already selected the folder you want to load, then you could just drag-n-drop that into the currently running instance. That will allow you to load files directly from Windows Explorer without opening multiple instances.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kiwichick

Re: Stop FileBot opening multiple instances

Post by kiwichick »

rednoah wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 03:40 Unfortunately, not supported.
Thanks for such a thorough answer and explanation.