Re-Installing Filebot

Support for Windows users
ChefGregS

Re-Installing Filebot

Post by ChefGregS »

So once again I find myself with a (Thanks windows update) catastrophic system crash that results in a full re-install of windows. So once again I find myself losing everything (yeah yeah, I know..back ups...well, those only go so far...) including my beloved FileBot. An app I find I can't live without! I know I have posted along these lines before but I find I must again... UGH!

1) Where does FB store all my settings, including all the rename formats?
2) Where can I get a new version to re-install?
3) How can I obtain my KEY again that I have paid for?

Now, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions if you won't mind, Rednoah...

1) Have FB save local (in the install folder) settings if it doesn't already.
This would allow situations like mine to be way less of a pain than it already is. I mean, like many others, I save NOTHING on my C drive that I don't have to. Thus I have 99% of all my software still because it's on another drive. On a MAC this would be great...but sadly, the PC likes to make life hard by utilizing the registry. So even though I have all my software I still have to install every app again. UGH!!!! If FB would have a local copy of all the settings you could add a 'RELOD SETTINGS' button and it would bring back all our personal info.

2) Store the history data in the local install folder.
As I have to reinstall everything, just opening my copy of FB now shows I have 0 files renamed. I actually have renamed over 400,000 files since I started using FB years ago. And sadly, I was hoping it would still show my last month's worth as I needed to make some changes and thus wanted to UN-rename about 200 files.

3) Have a way on your website to RE-download the app if we already own it.

Thanks for reading....

Greg
rednoah
The Source

Re: Re-Installing Filebot

Post by rednoah »

1. & 2.
Depends on the OS and package. The MSI installer package will use the Windows Registry and the %APPDATA% folder. The ZIP portable package will store everything in the application folder. You'll want to use the latter if you want the portable experience.
rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 Q: Where is the application data folder? How do I backup my settings? How do I restore my settings?
The default location for application data (e.g. settings, logs, etc) is %APPDATA%\FileBot on Windows and $HOME/.filebot on macOS and Linux. You can backup and restore your settings via Export User Data and Import User Data.

e.g. Windows:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\FileBot
:idea: Press Win+R, then paste %APPDATA%\FileBot, then hit ENTER to open the FileBot application data folder.

e.g. Mac, Linux, BSD:

~/.filebot
e.g. Mac App Store:

~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
e.g. Microsoft Store Store:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot

You will find download links on the download page:
https://www.filebot.net/download.html

Your license key should be in your Gmail. Please read How do I recover a lost license key? for details.
rednoah wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 03:09 :idea: Note that you can find your currently installed license key in the application data folder. Please read Backup and Restore Settings for details.
rednoah wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 03:09 :!: Note that if you have purchased FileBot on the Microsoft Store or Mac App Store, then you do not have a standalone license key. Please read How do I restore my Microsoft Store or Mac App Store purchase? for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.