Many questions/topics licenses, groups, preferences

Any questions? Need some help?
skindred

Many questions/topics licenses, groups, preferences

Post by skindred »

Bear with me. I'm sorry for all the questions. It's late, so hopefully I managed to make it somewhat comprehensible.

Generic question first...Best place to get support? Here, Reddit, Discord?

License questions:
  • Does the Universal lifetime license basically cover Apple, Microsoft, Linux OSes and their respective stores and future iterations (eg. if one of them creates a whole new store ecosystem)?
  • What are the limitations of the free/trial version? No renames? Limited number of renames? Something else...?

Finally, I'm going to paste my question from Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/filebot/commen ... s_as_well/ here:
I think I have my file name preferences mostly sorted out. I have a few questions, mostly about redundancies and pros/cons of similar info.

For file name:

Code: Select all

Alive 2020 1080p NF WEB-DL DDP5 1 Atmos H 264-pawel2006.mkv
Sample code so far:

{n} ({y}) {edition} {vf} {vs} {hd} {hdr}{'SDR'} {bitdepth}bit {ac} {channels} {acf} {vc} {vcf} {'-'+group} {audioLanguages}
Gives me something like:

#Alive (2020) 1080p WEB-DL FHD SDR 8bit EAC3 5.1 DDPDA5.1 x264 AVC [kor]
  • Did I do the SDR/HDR right ( {hdr}{'SDR'} )?
  • Do I need {hd} (video definition class) if I'm using resolution {vf}? If so, can I tag only if specific value (UHD only for {hd}) viewtopic.php?t=13117
  • vc (preferred) or vcf? Is it always x264/AVC or X265/HEVC? Same idea. Are they kind of redundant? I'm good with vc.
  • Channel count vs channel layout?? (6 vs 5.1) Similar question, but I don't know if there's anything I'm missing here.
  • Any reason to include {audioLanguages} in file name, like using bazarr to d/l subtitles? I assume this info can be pulled by other programs anyway.
And the big question. Groups:
I read about groups, but not even sure how to grab unknown groups. I read this viewtopic.php?t=13573, but I'm not sure how to "translate" the code. It looks like most of the groups are either in '[]'s or follow '-'s, but there may be other '-'s in the file names. There are also a few that don't have either.

Trying to get the list of {groups} not yet supported:

D:\Multimedia\Movies>filebot -mediainfo -r /input --filter "none{ group }" --format "{ f }"
I get the following message:

File does not exist: D:\input
As an aside, wondering if it would be worth it, when one runs this and gets the list, for it to be stored and used locally until it is updated here.

Is there a way to just carry over unknown information in the filename? I've tried the code I've found on the forum, but I must be missing something.

TYIA, especially for your patience.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Many questions/topics licenses, groups, preferences

Post by rednoah »

:idea: FileBot Forums are generally preferred, so that others can find the information via Google in the future. Separate threads for separate topics are preferred for searchability.

:arrow: A single license indeed covers supported platforms, Windows, Linux, macOS, etc, but notably does not include Microsoft Store / Mac App Store (best to ignore and avoid) purchases, and vice versa:
viewtopic.php?t=6265

:arrow: You will need a license to rename files. You can (and should) evaluated everything that leads up to that before purchasing a license:
viewtopic.php?t=11790

e.g. use {hdr} binding or default to SDR if {hdr} is undefined:

{ any{ hdr }{ 'SDR' } }
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=1895

:idea: Note that {hdr} will give you values such as HDR or HDR10 or Dolby Vision depending on the file at hand.

{vf} and {hd} are both based on {resolution}. {vf} has more possible values, so I'd use that if you want to keep multiple versions of the same movie and thus need a unique file path for each version. That said, you decide what is "right" or "needed" because it's all about your preferences.

You'll want to load in all your files and then use {vc} | {vcf} as format, then see what values you get for all your files, then decide which one you prefer:

{vc} | {vcf} | {fn}
{vc} may be based on Encoded_Library/Name or CodecID/Hint or Format depending on the file at hand. {vcf} maps directly and exclusively to the Format property:
viewtopic.php?t=4285

I would use {channels} over {af} because I prefer 5.1 over 6ch.

Adding {audioLanguages} to the file name allows you see at a glance what language(s) are available in the movie file.

Adding information to the file name is generally for human eyes only. At best, patterns like 720p may be used by 3rd party tools. Adding something like [eng] randomly in the file name somewhere will almost certainly not be used by 3rd party tools, because [eng] can mean anything.

:idea: Tools like FileBot will read media information reliably from the file content itself irregardless of the file name.

{group} is one solution, { fn.match(/[-]([^-]+)$/) } is another, { fn.match(/\[([^\[\]]+)\]+/) } is yet another. {group} is generally the best solution for most users, but you are encouraged to test against your specific files, and then choose the solution that works best for you:
viewtopic.php?t=4

:arrow: The "all of the above" example should get you pretty far if your files follow at least one of the established naming patterns:

{ any{ fn.match(/^\[(.*?)\]/) }{ fn.match(/\[([^\[\]]+)\]+/) }{ fn.match(/[-]([^-]+)$/) }{ group } }

You may be able to carry over bits and pieces of the file name, depending on how your files are currently named. The 1080p tag can serve as a fairly reliable marker that indicates the start of extra information:

{ fn.match(/.[0-9]{3,4}p.+/) }
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=12643
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Many questions/topics licenses, groups, preferences

Post by rednoah »

skindred wrote: 29 May 2023, 02:27 Trying to get the list of {groups} not yet supported:

D:\Multimedia\Movies>filebot -mediainfo -r /input --filter "none{ group }" --format "{ f }"
I get the following message:

File does not exist: D:\input
You need to replace /input with the path to your input folder, or use . to pass in the current working directory as input folder:

filebot -mediainfo -r "D:\Multimedia\Movies" --filter "none{ group }" --format "{ f }"

:arrow: If you have files with group names that are not yet on the list, then please post them so we can add them to the list:
viewtopic.php?t=4
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.