Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Support for macOS users and the Mac App Store package
tguh

Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Post by tguh » 26 Jun 2017, 15:59

Hello Team Filebot,

I'm recently switching to fully use MacOS from Windows, and one the first app that I installed is Filebot.

Unfortunately, I doesn't seems to understand the warning box about granting permission to the folder, when the box pops out, it will becoming beachball forever, been trying to use several ways including dragging the folder from another finder windows and dragging the icon of the folder with the padlock from the warning box, still the same. I been looking from solution from this forum but unable to find it.

Any helps will be appreciated, MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, MBP Retina 2015, latest Filebot from MAS.

Thanks,

Teguh

rednoah
The Source

Re: Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Post by rednoah » 26 Jun 2017, 16:53

So you're saying FileBot freezes whenever you drag a folder over the "Grant Permission" dialog?

Alternatively, you can try to click on the "Locked Folder" icon, which should open up a File Dialog and if you select a folder with that then macOS will give FileBot permissions to the selected folder.

The easiest way would be to just load the entire folder in the first place, and not individual files, so that FileBot will have access to the entire folder right away, so it'll never have to ask for permissions later on when processing files.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.

tguh

Post by tguh » 26 Jun 2017, 23:04

Eh, I worked perfectly when I try to do it with the whole folder. Yesterday I thought I'm gonna try it with one file first hehe

Thanks! Have a nice day.

donileo

Post by donileo » 24 May 2018, 16:07

I am getting this issue as soon as the Folder Permissions Required Window pops up on Filebot. What can be done as this really really annoying?

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 24 May 2018, 17:34

rednoah wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:53
So you're saying FileBot freezes whenever you drag a folder over the "Grant Permission" dialog?

Alternatively, you can try to click on the "Locked Folder" icon, which should open up a File Dialog and if you select a folder with that then macOS will give FileBot permissions to the selected folder.

The easiest way would be to just load the entire folder in the first place, and not individual files, so that FileBot will have access to the entire folder right away, so it'll never have to ask for permissions later on when processing files.
Does any of this advice work for you?

Can you provide the full file paths for some of the folders where you repeatedly get Folder Permissions Required dialogs?

donileo

Post by donileo » 24 May 2018, 18:17

The suggestions provided above dont work for me because the beachball comes up and Filebot stops responding and must be forced-closed. Loading the entire folder doesn’t truly work for me as it seems Filebot is trying to gain access to the destination folder and not a folder I can "load" as a source.

Some full file paths of the source where the original files initially are:
"/Volumes/media/downloads/The Seven Deadly Sins - Legendary Figures - 17.mkv"
"/Volumes/media/downloads/Dunkirk.mkv"

Some full file paths of the destination where the renamed files will be placed are:
"/Volumes/media/tv shows/anime/The Seven Deadly Sins/Season 02/The Seven Deadly Sins - S02E17 - Legendary Figures.mkv"
"/Volumes/media/movies/Dunkirk (2017)/Dunkirk (2017).mkv"

This file paths are on a mounted network AFP volume.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 25 May 2018, 08:00

In this case, FileBot should be asking for access to the downloads or media folder. Is this the case? So it hangs with beachball of death when dragging in any of these folders?

Have you tried a few tests with different files on different filesystems yet? Does it work with files on your desktop or local home folder? Have you tried using SMB instead of AFP for your remote mount?

donileo

Post by donileo » 06 Jun 2018, 05:06

Yes it hangs as soon Filebot opens Finder to the root directory where the folder it wants permissions is in. Right then and there the beachball happens. I tried all other conditions you mentioned.. with the source file being on the local drive, and from an SMB share and the results are the same. Also tested with the source on the Desktop and the renaming location being on the local drive/desktop and issue still persists.

In my case it seems like FileBot is hanging on attempting to open the second folder for permissions in Finder. Usually the way my renames go is my src folder is one directory and the renaming location in a separate directory for which FileBot needs to ask for permission.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 06 Jun 2018, 07:15

You could try to preemptively drop in the destination folder before processing any files (e.g. into the Filter panel) and then try again.

Dropping files into FileBot should make the OS give FileBot access, and then it shouldn't need to ask for access later, skipping the bit where Finder freezes.

donileo

Post by donileo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:34

rednoah wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 07:15
You could try to preemptively drop in the destination folder before processing any files (e.g. into the Filter panel) and then try again.

Dropping files into FileBot should make the OS give FileBot access, and then it shouldn't need to ask for access later, skipping the bit where Finder freezes.
Sure. But.. But given that its Filebot which seems to be hanging and how annoying this issue is it would be great if this was fixed. Is the info I provided not enough to reproduce the issue on your end?

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 10 Jun 2018, 17:51

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. It's probably an odd Finder issue, rather than a odd FileBot issue, isolated to your machine due to some odd reason.

Can you reproduce the same issue on other Mac computers, if you have any available?