Files Missing after Rename

Any questions? Need some help?
sheowth

Files Missing after Rename

Post by sheowth » 13 Jun 2018, 00:37

I just did a mass rename on a bunch of folders and when I went to look for the new folders all of the content is missing. I went to revert the selection and now it's saying that the files are missing. Please tell me there is a way to get these back! I have Windows 10.

rednoah
The Source

Re: Files Missing after Rename

Post by rednoah » 13 Jun 2018, 06:00

Are you saying files are missing from your filesystem? Or missing from some other 3rd party software that can't find the original file paths anymore?

You can use the FileBot History feature to revert file paths to their original folder locations and file names. These are basic filesystem operations, so nothing can go wrong here, and files can't get lost. Especially not on local filesystems. If you're using remote filesystems then faulty NAS software might cause issues.
My (very excellent) support depends on Windows Store and Mac App Store sales and Patreon support. Paying users, donors and everyone who contributes to FileBot in one way or another will get the very best support.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.

kim
Power User

Post by kim » 13 Jun 2018, 10:32

I think the GUI had an error you fixed, that result in lost files?

sheowth

Post by sheowth » 13 Jun 2018, 13:50

I tried to do the revert file path to the original folder location and it is saying that the files location is missing. It tells me to choose another directory. I haven't deleted or moved anything.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 13 Jun 2018, 16:43

Did you double check with File Explorer to see where your files are and where they're supposed to be?

Can you reproduce the problem? i.e. files disappearing when moving them

Can you provide screenshots?

What is the original file location?

Where did you want to move files?

Is the destination folder on a local drive, or a remote NAS drive?

Do you have any other tools or programs that might move or delete files?
My (very excellent) support depends on Windows Store and Mac App Store sales and Patreon support. Paying users, donors and everyone who contributes to FileBot in one way or another will get the very best support.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.