So I'm going to start from the beginning, even though it's a little too much information. I'll apologize now for the length of the post.
So, I have a couple thousand movies I've wanted to centralize for awhile now, on disks and external hard drives. I started playing with this program a few months ago and really like it, although the scripting is still over my head.
I found a free program on the net and used it to take 700 old disks I had in binders and automate the process of transferring them to a hard drive for me. So now I have these ~1100 movies sitting in a temp folder on my server. I decided on the naming format I want and decided I want to use a different program for the nfo and artwork. Before I let a rename script go automated on the folder though I wanted to test it out in small batches. I opened the program up and started dragging and dropping folders into the left rename pane, using groups of 30 movies at a time. I found that not all of the groups I have are known, so I get a lot of [DATA] instead. This is actually a little annoying for the ones that don't have groups instead of not showing up at all, but that's fine, no biggie. I've been making a list of the groups I have that haven't shown up so I can send it in after.
Question about that before I keep going. Is it better to rename the movie, then manually change [DATA] to the proper group, or email the list and rename them after the list has been updated. I think the only thing that can really be affected by this, would be the history and option of undoing the rename.
Ok, so I renamed some movies and left some for later because the groups weren't recognized and some because the folders weren't recognized. I'll go back later and manually change the folders a bit, then throw them back in and let it try again. The way the folders were named the first time, there are quite a few, probably half that filebot needs more info to process. So I'm thinking I'm glad I'm doing this manually, although it seems like it's going to take forever.
I was plugging along and matching to tmdb, then a couple times my windows explorer crashed on my vista machine and explorer restarted itself and I kept going. I'm assuming it was running out of ram, even though I have 3gb, it's a couple years old now. Then after renaming 79 folders it wouldn't rename anymore. When it was working, I'd click rename after making sure everything was good and it would take maybe a second to pop up at the top of my screen and tell me how many movies were just renamed. After I did a few rounds successfully I tried another batch and a different little window popped up saying moving 1 of 24 movies, with a bar moving along to look like it was doing something. I sat there for awhile waiting and it didn't seem to be making any progress. I cancelled that and tried it again, same thing. After doing that, the movie it was working on, first in the list showed up in the new location but wouldn't play. None of the other movies showed up. Going back to the original movie folder that movie was gone, moved already. So it wasn't in the old location and the one that was renamed in the new location won't play. I closed the program and opened again to try again. A different movie was first in the list, this time the same thing. A little window popped up saying moving, but didn't seem to be doing anything, instead of happening almost instantly like before. Again that first movie it said it was moving won't play in the new location and is gone from the old one. Both those movies are gone now. Not a HUGE deal really, but annoying.
I noticed there is now an updated version of the program, but since it was just working minutes before, I don't generally like upgrading unless I have to. I thought maybe my machine was bogging down, a memory leak somewhere or something I don't know, so I restarted hoping that would fix it. Nope. Haven't been able to rename since. It will match, but when I'm happy and press rename, just a pop up.
I also thought maybe it had something to do with my server automatically spinning down hard drives if no activity for 15 minutes, but they were definitely active on later tests so I don't think that was it.