Renaming mixing up

Any questions? Need some help?
reedcom

Renaming mixing up

Post by reedcom »

I have begun to rename tv episodes, and the last 2 series FileBot mixes up the episode names completely. When I play them individually I see they were almost always named the wrong episode. As far as I can tell I think FileBot is renaming using tvdb based on airdate, but since I am ripping from dvd it should be dvd order? I am not sure how FileBot/TVDB interacts to rename files so I can only speculate.

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Renaming mixing up

Post by rednoah »

1)
Please read viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1868

2)
Set Episode Order to DVD Order if you're renaming files that are in DVD order via Options -> Preferences -> Episode Order.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
reedcom

Post by reedcom »

I am using Windows, using the latest version of FileBot. But I see no Options/Preferences. I see DVD Order under the Episodes tab, but don't understand how that tab relates to renaming, it just seems to be a plain listing of what is on tvdb. And searching on the Episodes tab by DVD order vs. Air Date shows the same order for The Magic School Bus tv show. On TVDB website it shows a distinctly different order.
reedcom

Post by reedcom »

I just found the Preferences under the Match button. That was hard to find. But DVD order does not change anything. Files get named the same way, almost all incorrect episode names, and not the same order as on the TVDB DVD Order.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, in that case:
Include Screenshots
Include file paths as text when reporting mismatches
reedcom

Post by reedcom »

I don't think a screen shot will help in this case. I've been ripping using MakeMKV which renames files with title001.mkv...title002.mkv or something like that. It looks like FileBot looks at folder names, file names, and maybe order of date modified? Hard to tell. Would be nice if it did a byte by byte comparison but that probably is not what TVDB has? I tested with the first Star Wars Clone Wars disk and it named 4/5 right, then renamed to something random and it got 3/5 right, but always made wrong assumptions on the special feature content.

I would just like to know how it works so I can help it rename files more accurately. Would it work better if we rip one file at a time, then add a word to the file name so FileBot can guess what the full file name is? It's a pain to rip a bunch at once then watch each episode to see if it got the rename right. But maybe if done one at a time it could help?

Thanks for your help
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1)
FileBot identifies files by name. If you can identify the files (by name) so can FileBot. If you can only identify the files by watching them (by content) then it won't work.

2)
Use manual matching. As long as files are in the correct order you can match up things in no time. See FAQ #2.