Options Panel Upgrade

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
ChefGregS

Options Panel Upgrade

Post by ChefGregS »

Hey all..I am new here. I was using theRenamer for a short while until for some odd reason it simply stopped working. I then noticed (luckily just before donating $20.00) that it's pretty much a dead product and has been for a couple years. :( It was beyond easy to use and I really liked the GUI.

An issue that I come up with constantly while using FileBot is that Movie names will use the : in them. Of course windows doesn't like this. While FileBot will show the error and allow it to be fixed by simply removing it....why can't it be replaced? I am guessing it can be using the script features...but I have not learned all that stuff yet. Once I do I will do that I guess. I see from reading a lot of them just how powerful they are and how much they can do. WOW!!!!! BUT, why not have that as one of the basic options in the OPTIONS interface? For example, in theRenamer options it has a setting for Replace Colon: and a text box. You can set it to replace a : with anything you wish. I, personally, use - instead of the colon. So 'Boo: A Ghost Story' would become 'Boo - A Ghost Story'. Again, I know it's probably really easy to do using a script but until I have time to learn how to do all this I thought I would ask for it to be a built in option. :)

Not sure if anyone working on creating FileBot has looked at the other programs...guessing you probably have...but if not...check out theRenamer (v7.69).. It's apparently not supported anymore but like I said..the Options GUI is really nice.

Lastly...is it possible to add new databases? I don't see an option to look at IMDb. Is there a way that I can add new databases myself or could it be added by the deveopers? Guessing there must be some reason that one was not included in the latest build...I thought (maybe I am very wrong) that it was the biggest and most up-to-date database...

Thanks and so far...loving FileBot..and would have no problem donating to the cause.... I have 1000's of Movies and TV series that I am working on organizing...and this is making life really nice!!!!

- Greg
rednoah
The Source

Re: Options Panel Upgrade

Post by rednoah »

Figuring out how to do a replace in the format would have taken less long than writing this post.

e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1582

Did a Google Image Search, concluded that theRenamer is options page is most horrible, IMHO.

IMDb? It's not 1999 anymore. Besides, read http://www.imdb.com/conditions if you want to know why FileBot can't and won't support IMDb data.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ChefGregS

Post by ChefGregS »

Thanks for the reply.... The post took me about 90 seconds to type out. Yeah, I type that fast. :)

Everyone has what they like or don't like. I happen to really like the options windows they offer. Everything is right there and you simply click the options you want. It shows you in real time what the option will do to the file name. I think it could be a bit cleaner....as someone who used to design GUI's for many programs back in the 90's....

Gotcha on the IMDB. However, what year it is really has no significance in this issue because it is well maintained and updated constantly. The information on their site even deals with movies that are in pre-production....so not sure where you were going with that one. I get the conditions issue but have never known those to stop anyone from utilizing their services inside another program. So now I do...hehe

- Greg
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Pretty much self-explanatory. Takes 2s to copy & paste, and you've learned how to replace any String with any other String. ;)

Code: Select all

{n.replace(':', ' -')}

IMDb doesn't have an API and the TOS explicitly forbid page scraper. Everybody (Plex, Kodi, etc) is using TheTVDB/TheMovieDB API now for data. Only humans use IMDb. TheMovieDB is at least as good, and if something is missing, you can help everyone by adding the missing data.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.