Use action move and copy in same script?

Support for Windows users
EnzoFX

Use action move and copy in same script?

Post by EnzoFX »

Hello, using the amc script here via the python script and have a curious question. Would it be possible to move only things labeled "TV" and copy anything that's "Movies"?

Also maybe my solution here is hardlinks? Trying to find more info on how hardlinks basically work and if it really fits my use case. I don't want to overcomplicate the setup, just would maybe have a good default for the basics. I basically have al the defaults on, only changed my paths and "copy" to "move" in said scripts.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Use action move and copy in same script?

Post by rednoah »

Well, if you have these labels, then you can check them in the python script, and call FileBot with move or copy accordingly. If you rely on FileBot to perform Movie / Series auto-detection then it's not possible to perform different actions depending on the situation.

That being said, you definitely want to use hardlink. All the advantages of move / copy without any of their respective disadvantages. Just need to make sure source / destination is on the same drive (which you'll want for move anyway as well).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
EnzoFX

Post by EnzoFX »

I rely on the utorrent labels to be passed onto filebot/python. So I can edit the python script to call filebot differently... I'm out of my depths here.

Time to see what these hardlinks are all about, thanks. How would they affect my plex library file structure... Will it break things if I ever migrate to a different drive... Is it entirely transparent to the user? So that for all intents and purposes (Including copying/moving/backing up) it would be as if there were actual copies of the same file? Crazy. It's not OS/instal dependent right? Will try to grasp these things.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, you'll have to learn very basic python, so you can do an if-then-else.

By creating a hardlink, you'll have the exact same file twice in your file system. Both being the original. Both referencing the same physical data block on disk.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.