Rename File - Don't Move It

Support for Windows users
davemccreath

Rename File - Don't Move It

Post by davemccreath »

Hi

I've been a happy 'basic' user of Filebot for a number of years with no issues at all. I use a script to just rename files in situ without having to move them (NAS does that for me).

Just recently I've noticed that the renaming of files is taking longer. It's because Filebot has taken to not just renaming the files but it appears to be copying the file back into its original location, I'm fairly sure this did not happen previously, the renaming of files was almost instantaneous.

Any idea how I get back to just renaming files without the move taking place?

Basic script being used is:

{n} - {s00e00} - {t}

Many thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Rename File - Don't Move It

Post by rednoah »

If that's what's happening, then it's unrelated to FileBot. The OS / filesystem decides how to move / rename files.

:arrow: Try different things systematically, e.g. Files on your Desktop VS Files on your NAS, etc, to narrow down what works and what doesn't, and then perhaps find a workaround through that.

:idea: Please provide sysinfo output. See link in my signature for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
davemccreath

Post by davemccreath »

As always, you're on the button.

I'll do a bit more digging to see if I can rectify this.

Files held on local drives rename instantly as they should do. On renaming files in my networked NAS folders they get moved (into the same location), however, if I change the rename script in FileBot and rename a previously renamed file, it happens instantly; weird!

Thanks for your time.

Dave
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Are you using the GUI or the CLI? What network filesystem are you using? Are you using UNC file paths or mapped network drives?
davemccreath

Post by davemccreath »

Using GUI, Windows 10 file system to mapped network drive.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Try UNC paths instead. Sometime just changing something maybe sometimes makes things work better, especially if we're using SMB network shares, those are finicky.
davemccreath

Post by davemccreath »

Starting to get a bit technical for me!

The path I have used for mapping the drive is "\\***NAS\**folder" using Map Network Drive. I've also tried adding the path as a network location but that is the same (\\***NAS\**folder).

I get the same result when dragging the file over into FileBot from the folder window.

Any ideas?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Not really. But Google might have some ideas, as this issue is likely going to affect all 3rd party tools, not just FileBot, so there'll be plenty of related reports for all kinds of tools on the internet.