TVDB sometimes inserts year twice

Support for Windows users
kiwichick

TVDB sometimes inserts year twice

Post by kiwichick »

I have my episode naming format setup to insert the year but sometimes TVDB inserts it twice. Can anyone tell me why this happens?

rednoah
The Source

Re: TVDB sometimes inserts year twice

Post by rednoah »

TheTVDB includes the year as part of the name (to make the series name globally unique) and so if {n} == The Flash (2014) and {y} == 2014 then {n} ({y}) == The Flash (2014) (2014).

:idea: You can use the {ny} binding which implicitly takes care if this corner case.

:arrow: You'll want to use the {emby} binding which takes care of this and everything else:

Code: Select all

{ emby.name }
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

rednoah wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 10:53 TheTVDB includes the year as part of the name
But, as I said, it only happens sometimes so I don't see how this can be the reason.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It always happens for some shows and never happens for other shows - as it should be - because TheTVDB considers the year part of the series name if the year is required to uniquely identify the series.

i.e. The Flash (2014) refers to the new series while The Flash refers to the original series.

:idea: A typical user might use a format such as {n}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t} (i.e. {n} = use TheTVDB series name information verbatim) and get a The Flash (2014) folder for the new series and a The Flash folder for the original series, ensuring that the folder name matches exactly the series name (which may include the year as part of the name) in the database.

:idea: If you are renaming files for identification by Plex / Emby / Jellyfin / etc then you'll want to rely on neither {n} nor {ny} for series lookup purposes, and instead rely on the numeric series ID to speed-up the process and remove any and all ambiguities:

/path/to/{ emby.id }
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

rednoah wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 07:03 It always happens for some shows and never happens for other shows - as it should be - because TheTVDB considers the year part of the series name if the year is required to uniquely identify the series.

i.e. The Flash (2014) refers to the new series while The Flash refers to the original series.
Thank you very much, that explains it much better.

:idea: A typical user might use a format such as {n}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t} (i.e. {n} = use TheTVDB series name information verbatim) and get a The Flash (2014) folder for the new series and a The Flash folder for the original series, ensuring that the folder name matches exactly the series name (which may include the year as part of the name) in the database.

:idea: If you are renaming files for identification by Plex / Emby / Jellyfin / etc then you'll want to rely on neither {n} nor {ny} for series lookup purposes, and instead rely on the numeric series ID to speed-up the process and remove any and all ambiguities:

/path/to/{ emby.id }
I use the year for all series, not just new/repeat ones, but I don't know if it's possible to do this with TVDB in FileBot. I'm using Plex naming which recommends, but doesn't require, that the year be included in the title. I'm a relatively new FileBot user and I don't know much about the naming formats so, apologies for my ignorance, I have no idea if either of your suggestions cover this. So far I've just been switching to TMDB for the matching of these double-year titles but, obviously, that's only going work for series where the episode ordering is the same as TVDB.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you're using Plex, then you absolutely want to use the {plex.id} format for organising and naming files. {plex.id} covers everything and is battle-tested by users with large non-trivial libraries:

/path/to/Media/{ plex.id }

:arrow: Please watch the How do I organize files for Plex? video tutorial.

:idea: Make sure to select in FileBot whichever database you have selected in Plex, e.g. if you are using TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order in Plex then you must select TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order in FileBot. Note that Plex uses TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order by default nowadays, so make sure to check your library settings to find out if you are using TheTVDB or TheMovieDB information.

:!: You absolutely must not switch between different databases and episode orderings when organising your files for Plex and friends. It just so happens to mostly work because the information is mostly the same across databases, and then leave you confused later when you run into a series where the information (e.g. episode numbering) is different from one database to another. You'll want your setup to work by design, not by happy accident.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

rednoah wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 03:15 If you're using Plex, then you absolutely want to use the {plex.id} format for organising and naming files. {plex.id} covers everything and is battle-tested by users with large non-trivial libraries:

/path/to/Media/{ plex.id }

:arrow: Please watch the How do I organize files for Plex? video tutorial.

:idea: Make sure to select in FileBot whichever database you have selected in Plex, e.g. if you are using TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order in Plex then you must select TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order in FileBot. Note that Plex uses TheMovieDB / Airdate SxE Order by default nowadays, so make sure to check your library settings to find out if you are using TheTVDB or TheMovieDB information.

:!: You absolutely must not switch between different databases and episode orderings when organising your files for Plex and friends. It just so happens to mostly work because the information is mostly the same across databases, and then leave you confused later when you run into a series where the information (e.g. episode numbering) is different from one database to another. You'll want your setup to work by design, not by happy accident.
I just ended up adding a new format and swap between the two as necessary.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

kiwichick wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 09:28 I just ended up adding a new format and swap between the two as necessary.
What are the two formats you ended up with? Doesn't doing {ny} instead of {n} ({y}) already take care of the "duplicate year at the end" issue for all series names?