How to differentiate different versions of the same film

Support for Windows users
NFLMVP

How to differentiate different versions of the same film

Post by NFLMVP »

I have a few old movies in my library that were originally black and white but later were colorized and I have both versions. How do I differentiate between them?

I use Plex and it only recognizes one copy, which means I can only watch the version it recognizes.
rednoah
The Source

Re: How to differentiate different versions of the same film

Post by rednoah »

You can use the {plex} format but if you have the same movie / episode multiple times, then you need to mix in some extra information to the target file path to make each file path unique, e.g. media information such as video resolution or audio/video codecs would be typical candidates.

e.g. Movies/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009) [720p, x264, AAC]

Code: Select all

{ plex % {" [$vf, $vc, $ac]"} }

:idea: Alternatively, you could just match identifying or differentiating patterns from the original file name:
viewtopic.php?t=12643
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
NFLMVP

Re: How to differentiate different versions of the same film

Post by NFLMVP »

Thanks for all of that. I'm a non-techie and it's all gibberish to me, more or less.

What I was able to take from it was to create a differentiation in the path and so I created a new folder, just for the colorized versions and now they reside there and I can click on two different versions, albeit in two different places. I generally use a folder system where all movies of one type, e.g. Christmas, John Wayne, Harry Potter, etc. reside and then everything else isjust by title. Now, in my Christmas folder, there's aother subfolder.....next to Hallmark, for my wife }:-(

Thanks again.