Crash in msvcr100.dll at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getDisplayNameOf

Support for Windows users
Jaybonaut

Crash in msvcr100.dll at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getDisplayNameOf

Post by Jaybonaut »

Hello, I am getting this from the store when it tries to update:

Is there any information I need to provide or any procedures I could try?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Windows Store Update Error

Post by rednoah »

This looks like an issue with the Windows Store. You may need to report this issue to Microsoft directly.

Here's a few things I'd try:
* Update to the latest version of Windows (i.e. Creators Update)
* Reset the Windows Store
* Restart your computer
* Try it on another computer to see if it works there
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

Alright

Uninstalled all versions of Filebot. Reinstalled from the store today.
It no longer gets the update error.
......however, even though I can launch it fine, when I am in the Rename tab and hit the Load icon, it instantly crashes. It will not open an explorer window. I used the WSReset tool in Windows also just to make sure and then hit Downloads and Updates but nope, no go.

What information could I provide to work on a resolution?

Also, according to the store, it is version 4.7.9.0.
zymurgy42

Post by zymurgy42 »

An extra layer of unecessary complexity by using Windows Store.

KISS should apply, give users a CHOICE - or does Microsoft have you tied up with licensing?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see. That is very strange indeed.

Open CMD or PowerShell and run filebot to open the GUI and check if there's any errors in the console output:

Code: Select all

filebot
What happens if you use drag-and-drop to load files? Does that work?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

zymurgy42 wrote:An extra layer of unnecessary complexity by using Windows Store.
What about the unnecessary extra complexity of finding filebot on the internet, downloading the correct installer package, verifying the sha256 hash, running the installer package as administrator, correctly installing all dependencies, restarting all programs that need filebot in the $PATH, and repeating most of that for each and every new version? You'll find hundreds of threads here in the forums from users having trouble every step of the way for one reason or another. Note that I didn't even go into potential licensing and payment issues at all.

Now there is a an unfortunate handful of users that do run into issues with the Windows Store. I will not presume to know why. I have never been able to reproduce any of these issues on my clean Windows 10 machine. These issues will likely be fixed over time.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

rednoah wrote:I see. That is very strange indeed.

Open CMD or PowerShell and run filebot to open the GUI and check if there's any errors in the console output:

filebot
Result:
C:\Users\hjay>filebot
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000056336adf, pid=2180, tid=0x00000000000028b0
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_121-b13) (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [msvcr100.dll+0x36adf]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\hjay\hs_err_pid2180.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

The log mentioned is HERE.

What happens if you use drag-and-drop to load files? Does that work?
Yes, it does. I would love to get this Load icon crash sorted though if possible.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for the logs. It does indeed crash deep down in the Windows APIs. Could be anything. My first guess would be things like antivirus or performance monitoring software interfering with Windows API calls.

I've submitted your logs with a bug report to Microsoft and Oracle. I won't be able to fix the underlying problem, but I have an idea for a workaround, that may or may not suffer from the same internal problem.

You can change the file dialog implementation by setting the JAVA_OPTS environment variable. Run this in CMD and then restart FileBot:

setx JAVA_OPTS -Dnet.filebot.UserFiles.fileChooser=JavaFX
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

rednoah wrote:Thanks for the logs. It does indeed crash deep down in the Windows APIs. Could be anything. My first guess would be things like antivirus or performance monitoring software interfering with Windows API calls.

I've submitted your logs with a bug report to Microsoft and Oracle. I won't be able to fix the underlying problem, but I have an idea for a workaround, that may or may not suffer from the same internal problem.

You can change the file dialog implementation by setting the JAVA_OPTS environment variable. Run this in CMD and then restart FileBot:

setx JAVA_OPTS -Dnet.filebot.UserFiles.fileChooser=JavaFX
The only antivirus I run is the built-in Defender. Why would all of this start happening? I've been using it successfully until that update. Also, thank you so far for the assistance - may I ask what the above is for? If I 'change the file dialog implementation by setting the JAVA_OPTS environment variable' what will that do?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I have no idea why it crashes. It works on my Windows 10 Creators Update machine. The logs indicate that it crashes in the Windows code which is called by the Java Swing File Chooser code. The net.filebot.UserFiles.fileChooser system property allows you to change what code is used by FileBot to display the file chooser. The JavaFX File Chooser code uses different Windows code so it probably won't crash.

Setting the JAVA_OPTS environment variable to -Dnet.filebot.UserFiles.fileChooser=JavaFX allows you to change file chooser code that is used when you click buttons like Load.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

It worked, thank you very much.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

I take that back, it doesn't.

The load icon doesn't crash the client, however it no longer sees any select-able videos, I can only see folders.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That's why the native Windows FileDialog isn't used by default. The native FileDialog on Windows doesn't support file-and-folder mode. You can right-click the Load button though, and then select if you want to select files or folders.

:idea: I highly recommend using drag-n-drop though. I can't think of a situation where a file dialog is more efficient than just dragging and dropping files from Explorer.

:idea: If you're selecting files from the same folder over and over, then using Presets will save you a lot of time.

:?: Do mind explaining your workflow and why you prefer file choosers over drag-n-drop or presets? Maybe there's a better way to do things.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

I don't typically have explorer open, and it is fine to use drag and drop. I brought it up because of the initial update error in the store. I typically wait for Windows updates to go live as this is a machine I also use for work and dislike the idea of intentionally getting buggy Windows updates. Sure, I will mess with betas but not for my OS (not intentionally - I know Windows 10 was a big beta test and still is.) I also know it worked perfectly fine before the last update and I'm sure it was designed to work properly from the get go. I will continue to use it the way mentioned but it's unfortunate that a function is now lost on paid-for software is all I am saying. Not a huge deal as long as it is somehow functioning correctly.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Crash in msvcr100.dll at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getDisplayNameOf

Post by rednoah »

Alright. Thanks for the report. At least we have a working workaround for now, in case anyone else is running into the same issue.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Crash in msvcr100.dll at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getDisplayNameOf

Post by rednoah »

Fixed with FileBot 4.7.12 and up.