Cannot get Command Line to reliably run

Support for Windows users
Snuffy2

Cannot get Command Line to reliably run

Post by Snuffy2 »

I recently updated from the non-store to the Windows 10 Store Version. Prior to this, I have been successfully running an automation AMC script. Since the update, I am unable to get the command line to run reliably. After a reboot, the command line will run properly a few times, but then it will give an error and only rebooting again seems to fix it.

If I go to: C:\Users\<My UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps and run filebot.exe, I get the error:
The system cannot execute the specified program.

From the same folder, if I run filebot.launcher, the GUI loads fine.

Any thoughts on what may be going on or how best to debug?

My Path likely shouldn't enter into this as I'm getting the error running directly from the folder where filebot.exe is located, but for completeness:

Code: Select all

C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Oracle\instantclient_12_1;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\<My UserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\Git\cmd;C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\.dnx\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Oracle\instantclient_12_1;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\<My UserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\Git\cmd;C:\Users\<My UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\<My UserName>\AppData\Roaming\npm
Snuffy2

Re: Cannot get Command Line to reliably run

Post by Snuffy2 »

If I run filebot.exe in PowerShell I get:

PS C:\Users\Justin Morea\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps> .\filebot.exe
Program 'filebot.exe' failed to run: Unspecified errorAt line:1 char:1
+ .\filebot.exe
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
At line:1 char:1
+ .\filebot.exe
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [], ApplicationFailedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandFailed
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If the filebot command doesn't work, then it usually means that FileBot is not in the %PATH%:

filebot -version
* Have you tried typing ls while in the WindowsApps folder to confirm that PowerShell can see filebot.exe?
* What if you double click this filebot.exe in Windows Explorer? Have you tried with CMD instead of PowerShell?
* Is there perhaps some kind of anti-virus software running in background that's preventing you from accessing executables?
* Have you tried uninstall and then reinstall FileBot via the Store?
* Have you tried this on another computer if you have one lying around?

How did you install Node.JS? Node.JS seems to be a common denominator for people that have %PATH% issues:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4288&p=27625#p27621

EDIT:

What you're trying to do should work though:

PS C:\Users\Reinhard> filebot -version
FileBot 4.7.9 (r4984) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_121 / Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)
PS C:\Users\Reinhard> cd $ENV:USERPROFILE/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps
PS C:\Users\Reinhard\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps> .\filebot.exe -version
FileBot 4.7.9 (r4984) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_121 / Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)
Tested on Windows 10 Creators Update (clean install).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
TVjunkie

Post by TVjunkie »

Hi.

I had a similar problem. I have been running FileBot (up to 4.7.9) on Windows 10 (Home, 64bit) successfully for the last couple of years, slowly building an Autohotkey automation script around it.

I had been keeping an eye on the Windows 10 Filebot discussions, and figured it was time to help the author with a bigger contribution by purchasing it in the Windows Store.

The first issue I had was that Autohotkey refused to run the new FileBot, and provided very limited information on why. Ultimately, I tried giving the compiled executable administrator capability, and it started working.

However, in less than a day, it stopped again. I tried adding a WindowsApps path, but that didn't help. When running FileBot manually, in normal (or admin) Command Prompt, I received the message "The system cannot execute the specified program". This is a different message than I would have expected, if it was a PATH problem I would think that I should have seen: "'filebot' is not recognized as an internal or external command".

I tried rebooting, malware checking, uninstalling/reinstalling FileBot, running "wsreset" (and reinstalling FileBot). Nothing worked.

Finally, I updated Windows 10 with the Creators Update. And... everything is working again like a charm! (so far). And also, so far, I've seen no new problems (yet) with Windows itself.

Just wanted to share, in case others are experiencing issues, similar to mine.

Thanks to rednoah for a great application!
Snuffy2

Post by Snuffy2 »

Interesting. I had tried a number of things to fix including multiple uninstall/reinstalls without success. However, after updating to Creators Update as TVjunkie mentioned, it has been working correctly, at least for the last 3 days. No clue what the Creators Update may have fixed/changed, but I agree that it seems to have resolved my issues as well. Thanks.