Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-05-15 (r500)
Groovy: 2.4.10
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_121
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 12 Core / 5 GB Max Memory / 225 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX

Nothing happens when I press the "Presets" button.

I have not included a screenshot because I did not think it necessary.

I installed FileBot via the Windows Store. I did so because the free version I had (4.6.1, portable) did not seem to function anymore when I tried to retrieve movie data from the internet.

If you wish further information, I will do my best to provide it. You made a good program. I wish to continue to use it.

User1706280614
rednoah
The Source

Re: Presets does not work at all

Post by rednoah »

The log will probably tell you why it's not working:

Code: Select all

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot
* is a placeholder and the actual value may be different on different machines.

Most likely, it's incompatible settings carried over from very old versions of FileBot. Did you uninstall the old version of FileBot first?
  1. First, clear all the old FileBot settings from the registry by running this reg file. Note that you will need to recreate your Presets.
  2. Uninstall and reinstall FileBot via the Store.

Running filebot -clear-cache on the command-line once might also be a solution.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
User1706280614

Post by User1706280614 »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I apologize for not being as prompt with trying out your suggestions.

I found an error.log file where you suggested that I look. It contained many errors. I decided to uninstall all traces of FileBot and start from scratch to see what happens.

I think I ran the reg file you provided correctly. But I'm not sure. I use Windows 10. I just double-clicked it and it said that it added something to the registry. Did I have to do something else? Restart? Anything? I know what the registry is but I'm not sure I understood what I was doing with this file. I think I did what you asked.

I uninstalled FileBot and reinstalled using the Store.

I ran the command filebot -clear-cache using Windows PowerShell (Admin). It seemed to run normally.

Finally, I launched FileBot and pressed the Presets button. Nothing happened.

I went back to check the error.log file and here is what it contains:

Jun 30, 2017 5:44:23 AM net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$PreferencesEntry flush
WARNING: flush(): Backing store not available.
java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: flush(): Backing store not available.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$PreferencesEntry.flush(PreferencesMap.java:293)
	at net.filebot.Main.checkGettingStarted(Main.java:272)
	at net.filebot.Main.onStart(Main.java:155)
	at net.filebot.Main.lambda$null$0(Main.java:125)
	at net.filebot.util.ui.SwingUI$SwingRunnable.doInBackground(SwingUI.java:426)
	at net.filebot.util.ui.SwingUI$SwingRunnable.doInBackground(SwingUI.java:416)

Jun 30, 2017 5:44:51 AM net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel$ShowPresetsPopupAction actionPerformed
WARNING: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.keys(PreferencesMap.java:55)
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.values(PreferencesMap.java:122)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel.createPresetsPopup(RenamePanel.java:386)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel.access$100(RenamePanel.java:99)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel$ShowPresetsPopupAction.actionPerformed(RenamePanel.java:712)
Caused by: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$AbstractAdapter.keys(PreferencesMap.java:158)
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.keys(PreferencesMap.java:53)
	... 4 more

Jun 30, 2017 5:47:48 AM net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$PreferencesEntry flush
WARNING: flush(): Backing store not available.
java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: flush(): Backing store not available.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$PreferencesEntry.flush(PreferencesMap.java:293)
	at net.filebot.Main.checkGettingStarted(Main.java:272)
	at net.filebot.Main.onStart(Main.java:155)
	at net.filebot.Main.lambda$null$0(Main.java:125)
	at net.filebot.util.ui.SwingUI$SwingRunnable.doInBackground(SwingUI.java:426)
	at net.filebot.util.ui.SwingUI$SwingRunnable.doInBackground(SwingUI.java:416)

Jun 30, 2017 5:47:53 AM net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel$ShowPresetsPopupAction actionPerformed
WARNING: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.keys(PreferencesMap.java:55)
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.values(PreferencesMap.java:122)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel.createPresetsPopup(RenamePanel.java:386)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel.access$100(RenamePanel.java:99)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.RenamePanel$ShowPresetsPopupAction.actionPerformed(RenamePanel.java:712)
Caused by: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\presets at root 0x80000001.
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap$AbstractAdapter.keys(PreferencesMap.java:158)
	at net.filebot.util.PreferencesMap.keys(PreferencesMap.java:53)
	... 4 more
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Running as Admin might be an issue, because Windows Store apps shouldn't be able to run as Admin. Though I'm not sure if that's enforced yet. Try not to run applications as Admin unless it's absolutely necessary.

What does the output say when you run this?

filebot -script fn:sysinfo

How about errors when you run this? What does the output say?

filebot -clear-cache -clear-prefs

How about errors when you run this? What does the output say?

filebot -script fn:preferences
User1706280614

Post by User1706280614 »

This time I used Windows PowerShell instead of Windows PowerShell (Admin).

When I enter filebot -script fn:sysinfo I get the following returned:

filebot : The term 'filebot' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ filebot -script fn:sysinfo
+ ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (filebot:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Entering filebot -clear-cache returns exactly the same error.
Entering filebot -script fn:preferences returns the same error again.

I went back to using Windows PowerShell in Admin mode and I got different results:

filebot -script fn:sysinfo

FileBot 4.7.10 (r5065)
JNA Native: 5.1.0
MediaInfo: 0.7.93
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-05-15 (r500)
Groovy: 2.4.10
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_131
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 12 Core / 5 GB Max Memory / 39 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
Done ?(?????)?
filebot -clear-cache

Clear cache
* Delete C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
(I replaced my user name with "XXXXX".)

filebot -script fn:preferences

Print User Preference Node: /
Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000001.
java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000001.
        at java_util_prefs_AbstractPreferences$exportSubtree.call(Unknown Source)
        at Script1$_run_closure1.doCall(Script1.groovy:10)
        at Script1$_run_closure1.doCall(Script1.groovy)
        at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:49)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:127)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:29)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:111)

Failure (°_°)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The filebot command should work out of the box, unless something is already screwed up somehow somewhere.

This folder should be in the %PATH% environment variable by default:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
Some NSIS installers are known to screw up the PATH, so you may need to repair it by adding this folder again.

In anycase, you can't run FileBot as Admin. Maybe it works. Maybe it screws things up in unexpected ways. That's what happens on Linux anyways.

Try running -clear-prefs (instead of -clear-cache) once as Admin, and then as normal user, and see if it makes a difference:

filebot -clear-prefs

This might help you reset everything as well:
  1. Use regedit.exe to delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs registry nodes to get rid of old preferences data
  2. Uninstall FileBot and make sure that the filebot command no longer works afterwards
  3. Reinstall FileBot from the Windows Store and see what filebot -clear-prefs and filebot -script fn:preferences say

You could also try installing FileBot on a clean machine, just to confirm that it's an issue on your specific machine, and not a general issue.
User1706280614

Post by User1706280614 »

1. I checked the %PATH% environment variable and the entry you specified does exist. It is not missing.

2. I tried the filebot -clear-prefs using Windows PowerShell and got an error.
I tried it again using Windows PowerShell in Admin mode and it returned this:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> filebot -clear-prefs
Reset preferences
Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot at root 0x80000001.
3-1. I ran regedit and looked for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs and the JavaSoft subdirectory does not exist.
3-2. I uninstalled FileBot. I checked to see if the filebot command worked in Windows PowerShell (both normal and Admin mode) and it returned an error (didn't work) both times.
3-3. I reinstalled FileBot via the Store. I ran filebot -clear-prefs (in Admin mode of Windows Powershell; normal mode returns error) and got this output:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> filebot -clear-prefs
Reset preferences
Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot at root 0x80000001.
I ran filebot -script fn:preferences and got this output:

Print User Preference Node: /
Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000001.
java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Could not open windows registry node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000001.
        at java_util_prefs_AbstractPreferences$exportSubtree.call(Unknown Source)
        at Script1$_run_closure1.doCall(Script1.groovy:10)
        at Script1$_run_closure1.doCall(Script1.groovy)
        at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:49)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:127)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:29)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:111)

Failure (°_°)
4. I will try to install FileBot on a fresh install of Windows 10 as soon as I can. I have other work I have to attend to. I can restore a fresh install of Windows with a backup I made using Acronis.

Thank you for your attention thus far. I appreciate your program and I use it almost every day. So I am interested in solving this problem. I suspect that it stems from the fact that I had been using the free portable version and something caused it to fail. I also have a feeling that it has something to do with Java. Perhaps I installed the incorrect version of Java? Or I need to update Java? In any case, the next thing I will try is to install FileBot in a fresh install of Windows 10.

Thanks again. I'll return as soon as possible with any results.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, about that. Since I've never seen this issue before I just need to cover all bases to see if there's some way to isolate the issue... :oops:

This is one thing that strikes me as peculiar. Why would PowerShell say that that it can't find the filebot command when it's in the $PATH? When you're running as Admin, which filebot.exe is called that can't be found as normal user? This is very strange.

Does this path exist?

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe
This is where the Windows Store will link Windows Store commands, so that's why they're always in the $PATH by default, and just work out of the box.

The Windows Store version of FileBot is fully self contained. It doesn't need or use the Java installed on your system, so Java can't be an issue here. The portable versions should also be running fully independent of anything else including Windows Store version. Since the portable doesn't even touch the registry, this also can't be the issue. Unfortunately I'm all out of ideas here.

As a complete workaround, because I have no idea how to solve this odd issue, you could set the FILEBOT_OPTS environment variable to this:

-Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=net.filebot.util.prefs.FilePreferencesFactory -Dnet.filebot.util.prefs.file=C:\FileBot.prefs.properties
This would instruct FileBot to store its persistent settings to C:\FileBot.prefs.properties, kinda like the portable does, and not in the Windows registry, which seems to be broken for some unknown reason on your machine.
User1706280614

Post by User1706280614 »

1. The Path environment variable does NOT contain %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe
That's odd.

2. The Java aspect was just a guess on my part.

3. Perhaps I'll try that workaround. But first I want to try an install of FileBot on a fresh Windows 10.

I'm pretty much convinced that something screwed up on my OS. I wish I could be more helpful with isolating the problem. But since I'm planning to restore a fresh backup of the OS the mystery may never be solved. As I said, I'll report back after I try the OS backup restoration.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This folder should be in the %PATH% so that when you call "filebot", PowerShell will go through all the folders in the %PATH% until it finds "filebot.exe" and then it'll execute that one:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
If %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps is in the PATH and if that folder contains filebot.exe then PowerShell must be able to call "filebot".

If all this is the case, and it doesn't find the command, even though it's there, then that's just really strange... :shock:

PS: this "command not found" issue is probably completely unrelated to the "cannot access registry" issue
User1706280614

Post by User1706280614 »

I did a fresh install of Windows 10. The first program I installed was FileBot from the Store. It runs perfectly. No issue with the presets button. I haven't bothered to check all the other configurations we discussed so far in this thread because I presume everything is as it should be.

I wish I knew why it works now. I guess I could blame my cluttered OS. I usually refresh my Windows installation every half year. This time I let it go for a year and a half. I'm guessing something installed who-knows-when caused the trouble with FileBot. I wish I could have been better help in tracking down why. At this point, I'll check FileBot each time I install a new program. If the issue manifests itself again, I'll keep this thread bookmarked and report anything significant.

One final guess: I used the last portable version that was available for free. I used it for a long time until I had an issue with it accessing the online database of movies. One thing I did with that free version was pin the executable to the Start Menu. After I bought and installed the latest version, that link in the Start Menu to the old portable version remained in place. Perhaps Windows got confused somehow. That's just a wild guess because my technical proficiency only goes so far. I can't help thinking that the existence or the previous use of the portable version caused some sort of conflict. Up to that point, most of my programs were installing, running, uninstalling, etc. without significant issue for the last year and a half. But, again, I have to admit that my OS was overdue for a refresh.

If there's anything you'd like me to check with my new installation of FileBot on this fresh Windows 10 installation, let me know. Otherwise, thanks for the useful program.

User1706280614
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I guess we have a solution, so let's not worry about the cause too much, since it's probably just a really rare really odd one.

But if you do see anything like this manifest again, please do let me know. I'd also love to know if there's some other tool (maybe an over zealous anti virus?) that hooks into Windows internals and breaks things in unexpected ways.

You can try older portables from the SourceForge download site. The portable itself should run independent of anything else on your system.

I doubt that the Windows Start menu is somehow causing the issue, but I can't exclude it cause I didn't write the code. :D