SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Support for Windows users
dloranger

SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Post by dloranger »

Hi,

I'm a brand new user, and I installed the software through the windows store tonight. I always get this error message "SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target" when I'm trying to fetch data, also same error when I'm trying to pull episodes list.. Basically, can't use the software.

I'm on windows 10.

Please advise,

rednoah
The Source

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Post by rednoah »

I'm unable to reproduce this issue. Where are you located? This might be a temporary issue for your location.

If you run filebot -version in CMD. What does it say?

You will find a more detailed error.log here in this folder:

Code: Select all

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
dloranger

Re: SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Post by dloranger »

It says:
FileBot 4.7.12 (r5171) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_141 / Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)

I'm in Canada, dunno if it's related ?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote:Q: How can I tell what version of FileBot I've got installed?
Image GUI: Press F5 and open the Groovy Pad and press F5 again to run the script:

runScript 'sysinfo'
The command-line version information seems fine. Please check version and sysinfo output via the GUI and post what it says.

Could it be that you're accidentally using an old version of FileBot that you had installed before purchasing FileBot on the Store, resulting in two FileBot separate applications one of which is outdated? If you didn't uninstall the old version, then there might still be shortcuts on your computer that start the wrong version.

The log you posted shows update checks and install location of C:/Program Files/FileBot but the Windows Store version of FileBot does not check for updates nor is it installed in Program Files. So this log probably was generated by an old legacy version of FileBot, and not the latest version of FileBot from the Store. Where exactly did you find this log file?
dloranger

Post by dloranger »

I did install an older version before buying it, and the log was copied from where you directed me to.

Here is the output of the command ( seems like the same issue ):

Fetch failed: Try again in 5 seconds (2 more) => javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Fetch failed: Try again in 10 seconds (1 more) => javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Fetch failed: https://app.filebot.net/scripts/m1.jar.xz
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:143)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$fetchIfModified$9(CachedResource.java:215)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$null$0(CachedResource.java:87)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:121)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:133)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$get$1(CachedResource.java:87)
	at net.filebot.Cache.computeIf(Cache.java:90)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.get(CachedResource.java:82)
	at net.filebot.MemoizedResource.get(Resource.java:36)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptBundle.getScript(ScriptBundle.java:32)
	at net.filebot.cli.GroovyPad.lambda$createScriptShell$1(GroovyPad.java:163)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShellBaseClass.executeScript(ScriptShellBaseClass.java:128)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShellBaseClass.runScript(ScriptShellBaseClass.java:104)
	at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:1)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
	at net.filebot.cli.GroovyPad$Runner$1.run(GroovyPad.java:232)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
	... 17 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	... 18 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	... 18 more

SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
dloranger

Post by dloranger »

I just uninstalled every thing java-related, and deleted java folders leftovers, uninstalled filebot, reinstalled both java and filebot and I still have the same result.

I found numerous articles on the internet that states this kind of error is caused by an untrusted certificate in the java keystore.

I spent lots of time to try to make this work, I'm a bit disappointed that this is only happening to me since I think nobody will really care to fix it. I just want it to work the way it's intended.

Please advise,
dloranger

Post by dloranger »

Here is the content of the error.log now:

Aug 25, 2017 7:21:39 PM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 5 seconds (2 more) => javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Aug 25, 2017 7:21:44 PM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 10 seconds (1 more) => javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Aug 25, 2017 7:21:54 PM net.filebot.CachedResource lambda$get$1
SEVERE: Fetch failed: https://app.filebot.net/scripts/m1.jar.xz
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:143)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$fetchIfModified$9(CachedResource.java:215)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$null$0(CachedResource.java:87)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:121)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$get$1(CachedResource.java:87)
	at net.filebot.Cache.computeIf(Cache.java:90)
	at net.filebot.CachedResource.get(CachedResource.java:82)
	at net.filebot.MemoizedResource.get(Resource.java:36)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptBundle.getScript(ScriptBundle.java:32)
	at net.filebot.cli.GroovyPad.lambda$createScriptShell$1(GroovyPad.java:163)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShellBaseClass.executeScript(ScriptShellBaseClass.java:128)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShellBaseClass.runScript(ScriptShellBaseClass.java:104)
	at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:1)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
	at net.filebot.cli.GroovyPad$Runner$1.run(GroovyPad.java:232)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
	... 17 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	... 18 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	... 18 more

Aug 25, 2017 7:21:54 PM net.filebot.cli.ScriptShellBaseClass printException
SEVERE: SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store version is self-contained and includes a fully-functional Java runtime environment, including certificates and it seems to work for mostly everyone else, and you wouldn't be able to change anything because it's digitally signed. This leads me to believe it's either a local network issue of some strange kind, or the CloudFlare edge server for your location is doing something strange that makes certificate validation fail.

:idea: You could try this on a different computer, or at a friends place, or via VPN, etc to try to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for you I can think of right now. Maybe it'll just work if you try again a week later. If it still doesn't work, then I can only apologize and ask you to turn to Microsoft Support for a refund.
dloranger

Post by dloranger »

Hi,

I tried with a vpn connection, same issue.

I tried disabling my anti-virus, still no luck.

I would have tried with another laptop, but this is the only one with windows 10, and your software doesn't work anymore on other windows versions ??

Could you specify which URL are used so I can try to white-list them somewhere ?
Could you refer me to a previous download which might work ?

Thank you, I want to use this software but for some reason, I get an error that can't be troubleshooted..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

These resources are all served by app.filebot.net via HTTPS.
dloranger

Post by dloranger »

I just tried it again ( fresh install ) but still having the same issue.

Can you direct me how to proceed for a refund ? thanks !
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Refunds are handled by Microsoft. You'll need to contact Microsoft Support to request a refund. Unfortunately, I have no control over refunds.
64Hz

Post by 64Hz »

Hey there,

I have this exact same issue when using the OpenSubtitles feature, whether it be logging in or trying to download subtitles.

My `filebot -version` gives:
"FileBot 4.7.13 (r5200) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_144 / Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)"

This is my pastebin of the error.log mentioned in an above post:
https://pastebin.com/uhrX5ub2

My `runScript 'sysinfo'` within the app itself gives this output:
"FileBot 4.7.13 (r5200)
JNA Native: 5.1.0
MediaInfo: 0.7.93
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-05-15 (r500)
Groovy: 2.4.12
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_144
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 455 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX"

Any ideas on how to correct this issue?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I can't reproduce this issue here. Might be temporary or specific to your location for some reason.