Dragging filenames dependent on original file name

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
lothian

Dragging filenames dependent on original file name

Post by lothian »

Hi, for some reason, it seems that Filebot will not allow me to drag and drop just any filename. I seem to have to edit the file name to be very similar to what the eventual name will be ("name - s01e01 -.mkv" works fine). This does not happen in the Windows version, just in UBUNTU. I am running FileBot 4.8.2 (r5789) on Ubuntu 18.04. I had to install with --devmode to get access to my files which are located in "/mnt/media/tv/Blindspot/Season 04".
rednoah
The Source

Re: Dragging filenames dependent on original file name

Post by rednoah »

Does the log say anything? Can you provide screenshots?

:idea: Drag and Drop working or not working for particular files likely has nothing to do with the filename.

:idea: Best to use the APT version instead of the SNAP version if SNAP confinement doesn't work for your use case.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
lothian

Post by lothian »

Hi Rudolph,

I don't know how I can show you screenshots of a file not being accepted by dragging a file to a window. Further experimentation has shown me that the key is whether the name of the file, or the folder it is contained in contains a square bracket. If I edit the file name and take out the square brackets, then the file is accepted. This also applies to the folder the file is contained in. I did not see anything at all in syslog when I did a drag of the file to the window, if there are logs in another place, I could not find them.

Now that I know what the problem is, I can live with it, however, I thought you might want to know about the situation.

Here is my sysinfo data from Groovy Pad.

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.8.2 (r5789)
JNA Native: 5.2.2
MediaInfo: 18.05
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.2.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
GVFS: PlatformGVFS [/run/user/972/snap.filebot/gvfs]
Script Bundle: 2019-01-16 (r540)
Groovy: 2.5.1
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 10.0.2
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 2 Core / 988 MB Max Memory / 232 MB Used Memory
HW: Linux qbittorrent 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DATA: /home/plex/snap/filebot/16/data
Package: SNAP
License: FileBot License T1036 (Valid-Until: 2019-08-31)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

A normal full screen screenshot tells me many things:

Are you using Ubuntu?
KDE or Gnome, or different window manager?
Are you using the default file manager or a different one?
Are we talking about local files, or a remote network drive? If it's the latter, the path bar might might tell me if it's a NFS / SMB / SSHFS share.
Are you an advanced user with many Desktop customizations? Custom themes?

And maybe even things I might not even have thought of asking. A screenshot paints a thousand words. Quite literally. ;)

Actually, I have no idea what the problem is or might be. But if it works for the APT package and not for the SNAP package, then I guess we have narrowed down the problem to something related to SNAP confinement.
lothian

Post by lothian »

Thanks Rudolph.

Sorry if I have seemed uncooperative. not my intention! I very much appreciate your attention to my problem. As you can see below, I am running this on Ubuntu 18.04. I did the install with the APT package after removing the SNAP package. Ubuntu is running in a VM on my FreeNAS server. I then Installed the Plasma gui and am accessing it using TigerVNC. I have also used TeamViewer with the same results. This VM is dedicated as a staging platform for my PLEX server so that I can get the proper file permissions and ownership.

The file is located in a directory located locally in the home directory of the user. I also have tried this using a folder on my NAS with the same result. In this example, I used a file named "/home/plex/demo/Krypton S01E01 [Demo].mkv". I could not drag this file to the FileBot gui. I then edited the file name and removed the brackets. leaving the name as "/home/plex/demo/Krypton S01E01 Demo.mkv" I was then able to drag the file name onto the gui. As a last test, I renamed the folder that the file was in to contain square brackets in its name "/home/dem[o]/plex/Krypton S01E01 Demo.mkv" and once again, I could not drag the file to the gui.

I must be doing something wrong. This must be a very common scenario, and it does not happen with my Windows 10 install. That said, I cannot see it. Any advice you might have will be appreciated.

Screeenshots:

Output of sysinfo: Image
Example of file name with square brackets Image
Example with brackets removed: Image
Example with folder name containing brackets: Image
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Nah. No worries. You do this the first time. I do it every day. Screenshots are really surprisingly useful, more than you can ever imagine. For example, would have never thought about asking if you're using remote desktop. Also, thought you're on Ubuntu, turns out your using KDE with Dolphin. The latter is untested. Should work, but not too surprised that it doesn't.

Try running the FileBot GUI via Konsole so you can see the console output while FileBot is open:

filebot
If FileBot can't read / decode the DnD file path data, then there should be some sort of error message.
lothian

Post by lothian »

From the command line, it worked fine:

plex@qbittorrent:~/dem[o]$ ls
'Krypton - 1x01 [demo].mkv'
plex@qbittorrent:~/dem[o]$ filebot -rename 'Krypton - 1x01 [demo].mkv'
Rename episodes using [TheTVDB]
Auto-detected query: [Krypton]
Fetching episode data for [Krypton]
[MOVE] from [/home/plex/dem[o]/Krypton - 1x01 [demo].mkv] to [/home/plex/dem[o]/Krypton - 1x01 - Pilot.mkv]
Processed 1 files
plex@qbittorrent:~/dem[o]$
Then I ran it from Konsole... Didn't know about this method. However i received a blast of error messages on the Konsole when I tried to drag my file to it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Can you copy and paste some of those error lines so I can copy and paste them please?

EDIT: Technically, it's a Dolphin bug because it's not passing a correct URI. Making a KDE / Dolphin bug report would be a good idea too.
lothian

Post by lothian »

This is the output for renaming

/home/plex/demo/Krypton - 1x01 - [demo].mkv

plex@qbittorrent:~$ filebot
Owner failed to convert data
java.io.IOException: Owner failed to convert data
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.FileTransferable.getFilesFromTransferable(FileTransferable.java:101)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.FileTransferablePolicy.accept(FileTransferablePolicy.java:17)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.TransferablePolicy.canImport(TransferablePolicy.java:24)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.DefaultTransferHandler.canImport(DefaultTransferHandler.java:40)

at net.filebot.ui.transfer.FileTransferable.getFilesFromTransferable(FileTransferable.java:101)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.FileTransferablePolicy.accept(FileTransferablePolicy.java:17)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.TransferablePolicy.canImport(TransferablePolicy.java:24)
        at net.filebot.ui.transfer.DefaultTransferHandler.canImport(DefaultTransferHandler.java:40)

GVFS: file:///home/plex/demo/Krypton%20-%201x01%20-%20[demo].mkv => java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 48: file:///home/plex/demo/Krypton%20-%201x01%20-%20[demo].mkv
GVFS: file:///home/plex/demo/Krypton%20-%201x01%20-%20[demo].mkv => java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 48: file:///home/plex/demo/Krypton%20-%201x01%20-%20[demo].mkv
Jan 23, 2019 12:17:53 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$6 run
WARNING: Prefs file removed in background /home/plex/.java/.userPrefs/prefs.xml
plex@qbittorrent:~$ 

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Maybe fixed with r6010.

EDIT:

New Linux builds have been uploaded. Please give it a spin and see if it resolves the issue:
https://get.filebot.net/filebot/FileBot_4.8.5/
lothian

Post by lothian »

Hi

I finally got the Debian file to install (seemed to be some issue with the pkg) and then found that my version of Java was too old. I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10 and that fixed the problem. Then when I ran FileBot from the command line, I got no errors and the file was accepted.

To investigate further, I removed FileBot and installed it from the Snap store thinking that just the new version of Java or some other change that was introduced with version 18.10, especially since the documentation said they had improved the snap installer. Once again I found that the GUI would not accept a file with a name containing a square bracket.

At least I have a running version of FileBot now and can proceed on my own. However you may want to see if you can duplicate my problem.

Thanks for your help
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The *.pkg file is a macOS installer, i.e. not for Linux.

There are *.deb packages compiled for JDK 8 and JDK 11 respectively.

The snap package is the latest stable from half a year ago. The Windows / Mac / Ubuntu Store doesn't get updates for minor revisions.
lothian

Post by lothian »

Well at least my problem is resolved now. Thank you so much for your help.