Seagate personal cloud 2 NAS drive un-mounts when file bot renames media

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
Ghostatwar

Seagate personal cloud 2 NAS drive un-mounts when file bot renames media

Post by Ghostatwar »

Good day,

I was hoping someone could possibly assist.

I am using a NAS drive to store my media. the drive is primarily accessed by a Linux machine ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS.
however, whenever i use filebot to rename a movie or TV show the disk un-mounts / crashes.The only way to recover the drive is to telinit 6 the machine.

Please see method used to mount the drive
under /etc/fstab

Code: Select all

//192.168.X.X/Media /home/MediaServer/NAS cifs username=MyUser,password=MyPassword,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
Please see method used to rename file using filebot.
GUI application format :

/home/MediaServer/NAS/TvShows/{n}/Season {s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}
Terminal format :

sudo -u MediaServer filebot -script fn:amc --log-file amc.log --action move --conflict skip -non-strict --def
"ut_dir=/home/MediaServer/NAS/MoviesTvShows/Completed" "kind=multi"
--def "movieFormat=/home/MediaServer/NAS/Movies/{n} ({y})"  --def "seriesFormat=/home/MediaServer/NAS/TvShows/{n}/{n} Season {s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}"
filebot will rename 2 or 3 media files and then the NAS will become unavailable via the Mount point (/home/MediaServer/NAS) however i can still access the drive using the network explorer in Ubuntu GUI.

i have tried to simulate this crash moving files around manually but have had no success. have moved a Total of 900GBs of data from

/home/MediaServer/NAS/MoviesTvShows/Completed
to

/home/MediaServer/NAS/Movies/ and /home/MediaServer/NAS/TvShows

if i manually rename the files and move them there is no problem. (Manually as in right click rename or

mv /home/MediaServer/NAS/MoviesTvShows/Completed/SuperManBlaBlaBla.mkv /home/MediaServer/NAS/Movies/'SuperMan 2018.mkv')
please let me know should you require any further info.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Seagate personal cloud 2 NAS drive un-mounts when file bot renames media

Post by rednoah »

Well, it's not like FileBot can break mounted file systems, especially without even root permissions. But whatever FileBot is doing, it seems to break something on your particular setup. Could be anything. You could try to disable xattr and such and see if makes a difference.

My solution would be to just have filebot run on the NAS itself, rather than remotely, so then filebot would just be processing local files, which generally can't not work. Depends on your NAS and how powerful it is.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ghostatwar

Post by Ghostatwar »

Good day,

Thanks for the reply. removing the attributes didn't seem to affect the outcome.I ran a 2nd test using a new dell machine with a fresh install. mounted both the seagate and a WD Cloud. Both devices unmounted as soon as file bot attempted to copy media over to them.

I tried to host the files on the internal drive and copy them across to the NAS using filebot vs host and copying on the NAS. the outcome was the same.

I have decided to save new media to the internal drive, rename it and move it to a new folder on the internal drive. I have written a script that runs immediately after filebot has finished. The script moves the files and folders in each category over to the NAS.

this has been running for the last day or so and everything seems stable.

just to completely answer your questions.

The NAS is a 8TB Seagate Personal Cloud 2, so it doesn't support filebot directly (does however support plex which works surprisingly well). The test NAS is a Western Digital 12TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra.
unfortunately i didn't run too many tests as the when filebot ran, Both NAS drives make a rather unhappy clunk sound before stopping.

it would be interesting to see how FileBot handles the file copy/move procedure.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

As far as FileBot is concerned, it's just one line, move(a, b) and the rest is handedly by the OS, so there's not really anything that can be analyzed or changed in the FileBot code base.

If you'd like to try, you could replace the --action with your own shell script, and then run mkdir and mv / cp commands:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4915

e.g.

--action /path/to/my-move-script.sh

#!/bin/sh -xu
mv "$1" "$2"
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.