Filebot not compatible with WebDAV - only partly with davfs2

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
soulinferno

Filebot not compatible with WebDAV - only partly with davfs2

Post by soulinferno »

System specification:

Client:
Dell Notebook with Intel CPU and Ubuntu certification.
Actually running Linux Mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04 with Kernel 4.15.0-23)

Server:
Synology NAS DS716+ (8GB RAM manual upgraded)
--Most server apps are docker based images, some are installed directly from the synology app store--

Problem description:

The filebot 4.7.9 gui does not support WebDAV and davfs2 is very, very slow on large files systems.
Mounting 30TB of data in my filesystem makes the internal nemo file manager hanging for about 3 to 20 minutes until i am able to move forward to the next directory. Connecting directly via "webdav:// " protocol is ridiculous fast !!
I tried to use the cli and this is not comfortable enough for me. I also have no direct control of renaming scheme as i need to enter much cli commands to reach my goals. I also need to often verify and change renaming order of preselection before accepting a rename.

Normal use case works:

If i use the gui on my local network then i am able to rename like a boss and traveling through directories very fast

-->> Normal use case should be universal:

I want to be able to work on or with my server remotely. This way i am unbound to the location i am at. This way someone else you trust can get some special rights to write to some directories and help you sort things out. It is necessary for me to be able to work unbound to a location and to be able to explain a "normal" person how to use filebot. Most people also don't even know what a cli is.... (still - it is not comfortable enough for my use cases!)

I would be very, very happy to get help with configuring davfs2 to be able to speed surf through directories !
The second option would be a implementation of WebDAV into FileBot which would be absolutely amazing !!
But guess what - will never happen i think :(

I have reached universal workability on all my apps that are running on my server, except filebot and davfs2.
I use specially configured vpn connections per application. (Except filebot and davfs2 while figureing out how to fix speed problems.)

Linux makes working on my server applications perfectly fast and stable. Also the ability the integrated shell gives is amazing and absolutely nice to work with a synology nas. As synology is running a linux derivate (some sort of debian) i am able to use most of the self learned cli shell commands to administrate my synology nas via ssh. (If necessary only..)
But the graphical interface of synology nas is somewhat expendable, useable and clean that i am faster using the synology gui.
Linux then are able to put one or two apps on the integrated virtual desktops which i can fast switch through then.

For example:
1. Window - Normal workspace
2. Window: Admin support
3. Window: Plex and Renaming
4. Window: Compiling Tools
5. Window: Synology gui
6. Window: Database administration
and so on.....

All this will then be saved and restored when the machine starts again. This is my separate notebook specially configured for working with my server. I am using a safe password manager to reach best work flow abilities also hosted in my server for a barrier free working experience. (This way the notebook is able to renew connections fastly barrier free)

All tends to go in directions of IoT (Internet of Things). This is what i try to reach today with my server environment..

Any help to reach the problematic part is welcome... (FileBot WebDAV and/or davfs2 correct configuration for very large files..)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot not compatible with WebDAV - only partly with davfs2

Post by rednoah »

Have you tried sshfs yet? Might work better than davfs2. Definitely worth a try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSHFS

--format allows you to pass in your custom naming scheme, so the CLI gives you the same amount of control, and if you find yourself writing the same commands over and over, then it's best to make your own alias or script for quick access to your custom rename tools.

Did you have a look at the --mode interactive option?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4398
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
soulinferno

Post by soulinferno »

Thanks @rednoah,

1. <- will definitely give it a try and report back then

2. <- yes but my worker (helping hand) don't want script collections and learnings about cli commands (If it's ugly and retro like - he just don't use it.. ) The whole system is gui based now. I want to have the same workflow feeling for all (For me as administrator yes i could use both methods when i need them but a "normal" user strictly rejects to learn anything else than clicking on a app icon and use drag'n drop !)
So the gui is fine as long as it works. I am forced to stick to filebot 4.7.9 as windows 10 is a no-go option and therefore no option. ( I also refuse to use whatsapp and facebook and most of microsoft software! opensource is the way to go and to support in my opinion. From opensource code every programmer and creative mind profits from code ideas for his own code ideas and so on...)
And a preconfigured gui doesn't need ANY addition of script - just drag'n drop to rename in a visual style (--mode interactive is okay for me but not for my "normal" user :-) )
soulinferno

Post by soulinferno »

Hi all,
i could successfully set up SSHFS and establish a connection to my server. It is as fast as browsing locally! Very nice!!! I did make a short tutorial for me and share it with you:

[Tutorial] Mounting synology nas folders into Ubuntu via SSHFS

However one problem persists while using filebot to rename files there will be a error message:
1 files renamed.
Failed to set xattr: FileSystemException: /media/synologysshfs/rename/Videofile.mp4: Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.metadata':Process not supported
My question: Is this a problem ??
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot uses xattr to store metadata:
viewtopic.php?t=324#p27518

:idea: You can ignore the warning. It's just telling you that it can't store metadata as xattr in the filesystem.

:idea: You can get rid of the warning by enabling xattr support (if supported by SSHFS and remote SFTP server) or by using -no-xattr to disable xattr support in FileBot.

:idea: If your Synology server is in the local network, then using NFS (Network File System) is probably an option as well. That'll give you the best performance and should give you full support Posix file system features. Probably a bit more difficult to set up and optimize though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.