Cant figure out how to change original media file name

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
jcvdam1990

Cant figure out how to change original media file name

Post by jcvdam1990 »

I thought I copied the names of the movies in the screenshot into filebot correctly and renamed them but it appears the movie names are only changed when viewed through filebot?? Id like the title to be correctly formatted in the original folder too. I have many many movies that have files with periods between every word in the title and was hoping to change that. When I load the files from the original location which contains the extra periods between the words whats shown in filebot is not the same.. I am new and could very possibly be something silly on my end.. THanks for any help. OS is linuxmint19 xfce I downloaded filebot through link provided in email.
look at this mess...not long today I played around trying to organize some tv show files. For some reason (probly hit wrong setting but thought i was using the correct one from plex tutorial) my tv show folder keeps getting split around and unorganized... Im storing all my media on a 4tb external HD I have a tv show and movie folder and i just was hoping to get them neat and organized as well as compatiable with plex..
rednoah
The Source

Re: Cant figure out how to change original media file name

Post by rednoah »

The issue is not quite clear to me. The FileBot screenshot shows the files, and the Desktop screenshot shows the folder names, which of course may very well be slightly different (which doesn't matter to FileBot).

If you're asking about how to rename both file and folder (i.e. rewrite the file path) then FAQ #1 will get you sorted:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7

If you click Rename to rename files, then it'll either work, or give you an error message, if the OS can't perform the operation for some reason:
https://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

If you press Rename, and it seems to work, but nothing changes in your file viewer, then that's most likely because your file viewer hasn't updated it's view yet, or may be using stale cached data, which is a common issue when working with remote filesystems. In this case, Pressing F5 to force refresh the folder view should do the trick. (in bold because that's my best guess for now)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jcvdam1990

Post by jcvdam1990 »

1-3 could not help the situation unfortunately. I want all the movies listed in the file explorer not filebot to be corrected and listed like

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
12 Monkeys (1995)
12 Strong (2018)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
A Few Good Men (1992)

Maybe this will help explain. Filebot IS doing its job of changing and correcting the actual media file itself say from captain.america.winter.soldier.1080p.blahblah-releasegroup.mp4 to Captain America Winter Soldier.mp4 but it is NOT changing the containing file name. i thought I could get the structure like; 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)>>10 Cloverfield Lane (2016).mp4
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

rednoah wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:14 1.
If you're asking about how to rename both file and folder (i.e. rewrite the file path) then FAQ #1 will get you sorted:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
So only filename gets renamed and not the FOLDER ?

try this format

Code: Select all

{plex.tail}
btw: try to only load the video files (and maybe the subs) in Filebot
jcvdam1990

Post by jcvdam1990 »

just tried with no luck. Correct, only filename gets renamed and not the FOLDER.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The format above will most certainly rename the files and move them into a new structure.

Let's try something that can't fail and doesn't give room for misinterpretation. Just use this format:

/home/{plex}

If you now rename a file such as Avatar.mkv then it will most certainly be moved and organized into a new folder structure:

/home/Movies/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009).mkv

:idea: FileBot will create a new folder structure as necessary and delete left-behind empty folders, which means it does "rename" folders (i.e. not really, but the outcome is the same).

:idea: If you have lots of strange clutter files, then FileBot will probably not delete any folders after moving your movie / episode files, which you can either ignore (since they're small and insignificant) or delete manually once in a while.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.