Moving from old Mac to new Mac broke my FileBot Automator workflow

Support for macOS users
Muero

Moving from old Mac to new Mac broke my FileBot Automator workflow

Post by Muero »

Hello! I've come here after originally asking for help on Reddit. I got a quick response from a developer there, but the ability to preview posts and add screenshots easily on this forum makes it much easier than on Reddit.

My problem is that I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything from one Mac to a new Mac, and everything works except my FileBot workflow in Automator. At the direction of the developer on Reddit, I removed everything related to FileBot to start over. After removing everything, this instruction:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:sysinfo
got me this:

-bash: /usr/local/bin/filebot: No such file or directory
so I think I removed everything successfully. So I downloaded the PKG and installed it, and now I get this:

FileBot 4.9.1 (r7372)  
JNA Native: 6.1.0  
MediaInfo: 19.09  
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20  
Chromaprint: 1.4.4  
Extended Attributes: OK  
Unicode Filesystem: OK  
Script Bundle: 2020-04-20 (r634)  
Groovy: 3.0.3  
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 14  
JVM: 64-bit OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM  
CPU/MEM: 16 Core / 8 GB Max Memory / 104 MB Used Memory  
HW: Darwin Nathans-MacBook-Pro.local 19.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0: Wed Mar  4 22:28:40 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.101.6~15/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
STORAGE: apfs [/] @ 300 GB | apfs [/System/Volumes/Data] @ 300 GB | ntfs [/Volumes/BOOTCAMP] @ 34 GB | afpfs [/Volumes/video] @ 696 GB  
DATA: /Users/Muero/.filebot  
Package: PKG  
License: UNREGISTERED  
Done ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
So far so good, right?

If I try to run something simple in Automator, it works fine:

But when I try to run the workflow I've been using for years, it fails, without giving any details of the error. It's impossible to search online for this problem because Automator is supposed to give details of the error. But at the bottom of this screenshot, the line next to the red stop sign, where the where the reason for the error is supposed to be, it is blank.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or is there a better way than using Automator to accomplish what I'm trying to do? I'm just taking video files from one folder and moving them to a well-organized folder with artwork and correct naming.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Moving from old Mac to new Mac broke my FileBot Automator workflow

Post by rednoah »

I see no obvious errors in the command.

I'd start by collecting the stdout and stderr output so we can see the error:
viewtopic.php?t=3067

:idea: Presumably, Automator will only show you standard output, but not error output.

EDIT:

So you wrote your command in Automator? Without ever testing it in Terminal? Bad idea. You'll know better next time. ;)

$ filebot -nonstrict
Did you read the manual?
└ https://www.filebot.net/cli.html

Did you quote and escape your arguments correctly?
└ https://www.filebot.net/help/args.html

args[1] = -nonstrict

"-nonstrict" is not a valid option
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Muero

Post by Muero »

Once again, thanks for the response.

I tried it in Terminal and the command does work there. My brother gave me instructions to turn a text file into an bash script that I can execute whenever I want. I wasn't using any of Automator's actual automation tools anyway; I was basically just using it as a way to save my script to run it without having to copy and paste it into Terminal all the time. So I think the fact that it runs fine in Terminal means the problem is with Automator, not FileBot. So now I have an icon on my desktop so I can run my script whenever I want, plus I like that running it in Terminal gives feedback on what it's doing (and what happens if something goes wrong). I'm kinda glad this problem happened, because now I have the "full" version of FileBot, which also has the subtitles feature, instead the limited Mac App Store version. But I'm not going to worry about solving the problem with Automator anymore, since I prefer having the desktop icon run it in Terminal anyway. And the developer(s) of FileBot should be satisfied knowing an an additional license of FileBot was purchased by a happy customer. During this process I ended up finding that I've used FileBot to rename and organize over 2900 files since I started using it 3.5 years ago, so I've definitely gotten good value out of the App Store purchase and I know I'll get a lot of use out of my new license as well.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

"-nonstrict" is not a valid option means that there's a "-" missing. -non-strict always works. -nonstrict never works. You can trust me on that one. ;)

:idea: You might be running into other issues once you've fixed this one. That's just how it works, step by step, fixing one issue after another until it works. Looking at what the console output says each and every step of the way.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.