Slowdown due to running out of RAM

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
picciottino

Slowdown due to running out of RAM

Post by picciottino »

Hi,

My automation on my Synology stopped working so I proceeded with the following:
- update Filebot and node
- ensure permission for them to access the Download folder and the destination folder
- re-activate my license

Yet, Filebot Node does not finish its task. When I run it manually, it hangs indefinitely - which I guess is also what happens during the automated calls through the scheduler:

https://snipboard.io/gdB3Xm.jpg <-- This is a screenshot showing where it hangs. This is after about 30 minutes.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Troubles with Filebot Node

Post by rednoah »

Please restart your device to kill all running processes, then click on System Information and copy & paste the information, so we can see what we're working with:
viewtopic.php?t=1868

You can log in via SSH and then use htop to see running processes. The filebot command does not hang, but it may very well slow to a crawl once you run out of RAM and the system starts using SWAP for actively used memory.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
stooovie

Post by stooovie »

Same here. Even after restarting the Syno.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Re: Slowdown due to running out of RAM
rednoah wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 03:22 :idea: Extreme slowdown is usually related to not having enough RAM and the system turning to SWAP which is slower than RAM by multiple magnitudes. MemTotal: 524 MB should be enough to run filebot well, but if you have other memory-intensive services running at the same time (e.g. Plex) then the system may feel the crunch:

Code: Select all

JAVA_OPTS: -Xmx399m

:idea: According to filebot -script fn:sysinfo your system is already completely out of RAM and using 400 MB of SWAP already (a few spare MB of RAM are always reserved for the system) while running the sysinfo script, so running the amc script (which easily uses an extra 200 MB) may not be feasible on your device which seems to be pretty busy already running other things:

Code: Select all

MemTotal: 524 MB | MemFree: 20 MB | SwapCached: 59 MB | SwapTotal: 2.1 GB | SwapFree: 1.7 GB

:arrow: You could try to disable the Media Index and Media Parser options. These options will significantly reduce memory usage and may help make filebot run more smoothly on lower end or busy devices.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.