Beginner looking for help

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
thach1ef

Beginner looking for help

Post by thach1ef »

Hi all,

I've been using filebot for a while now, but I've always manually ran it. I'm in the process of setting up a HTPC and am very new with all of the automation type stuff and hopefully looking for a little guidance.

I read the AMC thread and right now that is just too advanced for me. So I tried to break it down to a simpler situation that I can test and learn with and think I was able to do so, but need a little help.

I copied and edited the following line from the AMC thread

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:amc "D:\Downloads" --output "D:\Test" --log-file amc.log --action copy -non-strict --def excludeList=amc.txt
Cmd line stuff is also fairly new to me, but I'm learning. I ran this and it almost did what I wanted it to. However first I was hoping someone could confirm/explain what's going on there.

-script fn:amc I've deduced that this part is running a script called "amc". Where is this script located? Is it part of the Filebot download? (ignore this, found the answer)

Input and output I understand as with log file.

--action copy I noticed that if I set this to --action test, it runs through but doesn't actually do anything so you can just see what happens. Are there more options here? What about a cut/paste or move option?

-non-strict Not sure what this is doing.
--def excludeList=amc.txt Noticed that this was requested to prevent running the script again for the same files (maybe?)

So I'd really like to learn a lot more about all this and the options available to me. Right now it's placing the movies in separate folders, I'd want to change that if possible. Also, the seasons for TV shows are being prefixed by a 0, is this able to be changed as well?

Thank so much in advance for the help. I'll be here trying to read as much as I can. I'm very eager to learn as much as I can.
thach1ef

Re: Beginner looking for help

Post by thach1ef »

So I've been reading all about this stuff for the past 2 hours and I'm learning a lot! I was able to figure out how to take my small snipet above and override the formats of tv shows/movies etc. I even set it up to email me when finished.

Is it suggested to do any kind of deviation from the AMC script by doing the --def stuff? Rather than copying the script to my PC and changing the actual code.

And looks like it was as simple as --action move instead of --action copy... doh!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1)
Scripts are downloaded/cached/update from GitHub if you use fn:name syntax.

2)
Run filebot -help or check out http://www.filebot.net/cli.html

3)
-non-strict tells FileBot to be really smart about making sense of really messed up files. Which means mistakes will be made. By default (strict mode) FileBot will only process files that are pretty much 100% guaranteed to be matched to the right movie/episode data. Which means files have to be reasonably well-named.

4)
The exclude-list makes sure that the same file will not be processed more than once, even if you run the amc script on the same folder over and over. This is absolutely essential and makes sure you don't accidentally ban yourself.

5)
Looks like you figured out how to override the amc formats already. You can maintain your own script, but the script on GitHub is updated regularly so you'll always run the latest version of the script. If you want to run your own amc mod it's recommended that you clone/fork the Git repository.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
thach1ef

Post by thach1ef »

Awesome, thank you very much for the information!