Find out how many inputs are taken by Filebot and carry out different functions

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
Arion

Find out how many inputs are taken by Filebot and carry out different functions

Post by Arion »

I currently use a self-made notification system to notify me about the files processed by Filebot.

The only con of the system is that for every input file taken by filebot, it generates a separate message, unlike the default notification system provided by FileBot where all the processed files are bundled together in a HTML file and sent to the user. This is done by running a script with the

Code: Select all

--def exec="@file/path"
hook.

I was wondering if, by shell scripting (BASH and PowerShell) it was possible to determine how many inputs filebot took, and if it happens to be more than one/two/five it will carry out a different set of instructions, like bundle the notification messages into a single message (I'll take care of that problem)

I only need to know what condition I should use to know how many inputs filebot took, and if it's more than a specified number, run a second script.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Find out how many inputs are taken by Filebot and carry out different functions

Post by rednoah »

--def exec is not suitable for this kind of task.

What you wanna do is call filebot, collect the output, run grep | wc -l to count the number of lines that contain certain keywords, and then proceed accordingly. That's pretty much the kind of task that bash was designed to do well.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Arion

Re: Find out how many inputs are taken by Filebot and carry out different functions

Post by Arion »

Can you guide me on how I can write the names of the files Filebot processes (in {s00e00} - n - t or {n} - {y} format) to a text file after filebot is done processing them? Especially when it renames more than 1 file.

Also, can I use the --def exec hook more than once to run two or multiple programs?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can use the --def exec hook with a custom script to write text these kinds of text files. If you want to call multiple commands, then you can just do that just like on the command-line, and any script can of course call an arbitrary number of other scripts.

e.g.

--def exec="echo {quote n} {s00e00} {quote t}"
Arion

Post by Arion »

I'm sorry but I have a minor query.

Using your solution above, the program prints
Sherlock
-
S01E01
-
A Study in Pink
Sherlock
-
S01E02
-
The Blind Banker
Sherlock
-
S01E03
-
The Great Game
As you can see, it prints each word on a new line. I'd like all of it to be condensed to a single line. Can you offer any guidance or point me in the general direction? Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Does echo print each argument on a new line? And where do the dashes come from?

:idea: This is just an example. It shows that you can do anything you can do with PowerShell commands.
Arion

Post by Arion »

I'm using

echo {quote n} - {s00e00} - {t}
which gives that output with the dashes.

Upon trying

echo "{quote {n} {s00e00} {t}}" | Out-File TestFile.txt -append
to write the names to a text file, I still get the same
Sherlock
S01E01
A Study in Pink
Sherlock
S01E02
The Blind Banker
Sherlock
S01E03
The Great Game
Ideally, I'd like it all to be printed onto a single line like:
Sherlock S01E01 A Study in Pink
Sherlock S01E02 The Blind Banker
Sherlock S01E03 The Great Game
and I'd like to separate them by a dash as well, if possible.
Arion

Post by Arion »

But I guess it's not possible? the `quote` function is either glitchy or I dunno how to use it, I believe it's the latter.
Arion

Post by Arion »

I tried this:

echo "{quote ("$n") (${any{episode; s00e00 + ' - ' + t}{movie}})}" | Out-File TestFile.txt -append
But keep getting this error:
The string is missing the terminator: ".
+ CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : TerminatorExpectedAtEndOfString
Searching for this error hasn't yielded useful results yet.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What is the exact command that is executed? Have you tried copy & pasting that command into PowerShell so you can fix it?
Arion

Post by Arion »

I've tried this:

echo "{quote ("$n") (${any{episode; s00e00 + ' - ' + t}{movie}})}" | Out-File TestFile.txt -append
with the error given above.
I can't really put this into powershell manually and try to fix it since it'll be treated as a single string and print as it is.

When I try

echo "{quote n} {s00e00} {quote t}" | Out-File TestFile.txt
it works, but every thing in curly brackets {} is printed on a single line.

I thought the keyword quote can wrap them into a single line, so I tried

echo "{quote n s00e00 t}" | Out-File TestFile.txt
still get the same error stated above.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This is the not the command that is executed. Have a look at the amc.log file and see what commands are actually executed.

e.g. command template used to generate actual commands:

echo {quote n}
e.g. actual command generated for an episode of Firefly:

echo "Firefly"
Arion

Post by Arion »

Oh yeah, the logs say this:
Execute: echo "" | Out-File TestFile.txt -append
for:

which is because of the error. nothing is being parsed into the powershell.
Arion

Post by Arion »

Hey, just wanted to let you know I figured it out by a series of trial and errors:

This works:

echo "{quote("$n - ${any{episode; s00e00 + ' - ' + t}{movie}}")}" | Out-File TestFile.txt -append
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

{quote object} should be doing pretty much the same with a lot less code. ;)

If you need your text file to be machine-readable, then {quote json} would be the way to go.

So you're using the command-line to try format expressions?
Using the format editor GUI will make prototyping format expressions 100x faster.
Arion

Post by Arion »

So you're using the command-line to try format expressions?
No, actually I'm trying to write these names to the file so that if there are more than 1 files processed by Filebot, it'll write all the filenames into a single message and fwd it to me.

Regarding that... I was wondering, is there a way I can call a python script at the very end when filebot is TOTALLY DONE with all file processing?

The way I want it is... I finish writing episode names to the text file, and then call a python script.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see. So you're not using the GUI at all then? That's a very ineffective way of doing things then. I wouldn't recommend it. You're just making things unnecessarily difficult on yourself. ;)

I'd do it in this order:
  • Open PowerShell and write a test command (and test it until it works)
  • Open FileBot Format Editor, copy test command, replace values with variables (and test it until it give you the commands you want)
  • Copy command template (i.e. format expression for commands) into your filebot amc command-line call

# call filebot
filebot ...

# call python script after filebot is completely and totally done
python ...