Simple Move of Entire Folder Contents

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
kaneelias

Simple Move of Entire Folder Contents

Post by kaneelias »

Hi all,

I have encountered a really frustrating problem with regards to moving files that Filebot has already output to another folder.

For example, I output processed files from Filebot to "TV Shows" I then use the xcopy function in windows to copy the files to my NAS. No issues here.

Once I complete the copy I want to move the original files to another folder on the drive. Essentially a drag and drop. I have been scouring the internet but cannot find any command to do this while preserving the original file structure. All I have been able to find is a way to move files only and not folder trees.

I have also used the move function in Robocopy but this essentially copies and then deletes. Not a real move as a move on the same drive should almost be instantaneous.

Robocopy does work but it just takes too long when moving multiple files, it is actually quicker for me to cut and paste.

Any help would be appreciated and please move if this is not in the right section.

Cheers
rednoah
The Source

Re: Simple Move of Entire Folder Contents

Post by rednoah »

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Specific examples are usually more useful than general explanation.

Are you perhaps just looking for a command-line equivalent of Windows Explorer Cut & Paste? I'm not sure why you'd use robocopy to move a folder. You could just use the move (CMD) / Move-Item (PS) commands to do that.

kaneelias wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 01:44 a move on the same drive should almost be instantaneous.
If by "drive" you mean filesystem, then yes. If by "drive" you mean physical hard drive that contains multiple partitions and filesystems, then not necessarily, if the move operations spans across filesystems. If you're using a NAS, then each share will be considered a unique filesystem by your client computer.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kaneelias

Post by kaneelias »

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion. Here are some examples

I have folder

C:\TV Shows
->Preacher
-->Season 01
--->Preacher S01E01

I also have a destination folder called C:\Ready

I want to move the contents of the "TV Shows" folder including all sub folders (eg. preacher) so that the result is

C:\Ready
->Preacher
-->Season 01
--->Preacher S01E01

Leaving C:\TV Shows empty

The move function will only move individual files in the TV Shows folder and not preserve the folder structure.

So, in short, yes, I am looking for a cut and paste command line equivalent.

This is essentially step 2 of my backup process after I have copied the TV Shows content to my NAS drive.

Thanks for your help so far. Cheers
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Have you tried the Move-Item command yet?

Code: Select all

Move-Item -Path C:\"TV Shows"\* C:\Ready
:idea: The Move-Item PowerShell command is completely unrelated to the filebot command-line tools.

:idea: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... wershell-6
kaneelias

Post by kaneelias »

Thanks for the reply. Powershell does achieve what I am trying to do.

I was wondering if Filebot had something similar built into it, but this works.

Thank you very much.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can achieve the same results by using --db file generic file mode with a custom --format that yields the output paths you want. IMHO, if you really just need a simple move operation, then it makes no sense to use filebot for that.