Multimonitor support/awareness

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
iainfrerichs

Multimonitor support/awareness

Post by iainfrerichs »

For ages I thought FileBot failed silently when e.g a server was down or there were no episodes of a series found, etc., then one day I noticed a wee error message pop up at the top of a different monitor than I was using FileBot on.

It would be super useful if the error messages popped up on the same monitor FileBot was displayed on.

TIA

Iain
rednoah
The Source

Re: Multimonitor support/awareness

Post by rednoah »

Notifications will always be displayed on the top center of your primary display. FileBot is already aware of multi-monitor setup in that sense. Since this hasn't been reported as an issue before, with pros and cons either way, I guess it's best to keep things unchanged for now.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs »

Seems like an odd UI choice. If you're not going to fix it, it there any way to either extend the amount of time the messages are displayed for, make them persist until dismissed, or view a log to see what you've missed?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The choice was never made as such, because it's just what the Desktop framework does by default. Windows and macOS have their own native notification systems too, and they show notifications on the primary screen, and not where your mouse cursor happens to be at the time.

:idea: That being said, I'm open to making changes, but only once we have multiple users that see this as an issue, otherwise we make the change just to have other users complain that it doesn't work as before.

As for timing, AFAIK, information messages don't stay up long, but warning and error messages should stay up significantly longer, so you should have more time to click on them.

:arrow: In any case, you'll always want to check the log for detailed information. The easiest way to find the log is pressing F5 and then clicking on the Image button.
iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs »

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately I had missed this before because Groovy Pad seems to become non-responsive and take a couple of minutes to display when I try to show the error log - I usually hit the X and close it when this happens! And I seem to be drowning in Failed to set xattr warnings for all renames to/on my network mapped drives. Oh well.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, the first line will give you the file path to the log file, so you can inspect the file directly with your preferred text editor or command-line tools.

:idea: The log file location depends on your operating system. Please read the FAQ for details on how things work on your specific operating system.
iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs »

Yes, thanks I figured that out.
Also finally figured out why it takes so long to load - I thought the log file was small because as chance would have it, the very first log line was dated May 27th, as was the last. I didn't initially notice the first one was from 2017! So it took a while to load all 18.8 MB of log. Much snappier now I've emptied it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r7606 has improved support for multi-monitor setups. Tested only on single monitor and dual monitor setups though.
iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs »

My filebot is 4.9.1 (r7372) and that seems to be the latest available. Will r7606 be a future release?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, new revisions are published on a daily basis:
viewtopic.php?t=1609
iainfrerichs

Post by iainfrerichs »

I am able to confirm that the message box now appears at the top of whichever monitor FileBot is currently on when a message is displayed, successfully following the application when it is moved 'mid-session', across all 3 of my active monitors. The version I used for this test was r7608.

Thanks for your help with this.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The next release is still a few months out. Please report back if you find any issues or strange behavior with the new implementation sometime down the line.