Bug: last characters of the renamed string are tuncated

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
sh3ll

Bug: last characters of the renamed string are tuncated

Post by sh3ll »

The problem:
Sometimes when I transfer a serie from "List" to "Rename" tab, the last part of all strings is tuncated

How to reproduce the problem:

1. I search the serie "Undone" in the "Episodes" tab
2. I transfer all episodes to "List" tab and I apply my Patter (everything good)
3. I transfer all episodes to "Rename" tab and the last part of the string is truncated

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.9.6 (r9125)
JNA Native: 6.1.2
MediaInfo: 22.12
Tools: fpcalc/1.5.1 7z/17.04 unrar/6.20 mkvpropedit/73.0.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
GVFS: PlatformGVFS [/run/user/1000/gvfs]
Script Bundle: 2022-08-15 (r836)
Groovy: 3.0.9
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.18
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 4.2 GB Max Memory / 40 MB Used Memory
HW: Linux dpc 6.1.6-zen1-2-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon, 16 Jan 2023 14:55:29 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
CPU/MEM: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz [MemTotal: 16 GB | MemFree: 681 MB | MemAvailable: 12 GB]
STORAGE: NONE
USER: davide
DATA: /home/aaaa/.config/filebot
Package: AUR
rednoah
The Source

Re: Bug: last characters of the renamed string are tuncated

Post by rednoah »

:?: Why not use Send to Episodes instead of Send to List when Episodes is ultimately where you want to send the selected Episode items?

:idea: You can load episodes in linear order directly in Episodes panel by clearing Original Files and then clicking Fetch Data ➔ Episode Mode: TheMovieDB (tl;dr if Original Files then you can load episodes without automatic matching)

:?: I suspect that perhaps you somehow got off on the wrong foot and don't yet know that Rename itself is capable and responsible for formatting Episode items into file names? List is neither necessary nor recommended for the use case illustrated in the screenshots above.

You can send Episode items to from Episodes to List so that you can prototype custom formats on multiple Episode items at the same time. However, List is about working with lines of text, and if you send lines of text to Rename then that is conceptually very different from sending Episode items. The latter is formatted by your Episode Format. The former is interpreted as "file path" and cannot be formatted.

If you paste lines of text into New Names then those lines are interpreted as file paths with file extensions, and file extensions are subsequently stripped since you would otherwise end up with duplicate file extensions, in typical use cases such as renaming files based on lines in a text file. This behaviour is what strips away the .264-SH3LL file extension. If you generate file paths for use in Rename then you must add a file extension (e.g. .mkv) to each line.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.