Rename Movies And Sort To Genre Folder

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Deadmano

Rename Movies And Sort To Genre Folder

Post by Deadmano »

Hi there Reinhard,

I hope that you're doing well! I've been thoroughly enjoying the new updates you've brought out, Filebot is simply amazing as usual! :)

I just have a quick one for you, not sure if this was asked before, but I would like if possible for Filebot to when it searches IMDB and renames, to also get the genre of the movie and place it in the corresponding folder that it creates based on the genre.

For Example;

I have Filebot rename one of my movies to The Shawshank Redemption (1994) it will then also get the genre(s) which is Crime/Drama, and then either 1) place the movie into the first genre (Crime) or make a Crime Drama folder and place it in there. It really depends if users want to have multiple genres with sub-genres, like Romantic Comedy, Romantic Drama, etc.

I'm sure this could be quite possible, as the information is readily available, and Filebot just needs to know how to parse it all to make the folders and place the movies into the right genre...

If I am unclear with any of this, just let me know and I'll explain further. My head is a tad bit fried from sorting out movies again for a couple of hours, and what still makes my job hard is that after renaming all the files I have to do a search manually to find the movie's genre... The above could also work for Series.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Rename Movies And Sort To Genre Folder

Post by rednoah »

You mean using {genres} binding to define sub folders in the format?

Code: Select all

X:/Movies/{genres[0]}/{n} ({y})
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Deadmano

Post by Deadmano »

rednoah wrote:You mean using {genres} binding to define sub folders in the format?

X:/Movies/{genres[0]}/{n} ({y})
I'm not quite following. Basically, let me simplify...

When I add a bunch of movies to FileBot to have them renamed, I'd like the option to have FileBot not only rename them, but put the movies into their corresponding genre folder that either I make, or FileBot makes. FileBot would get the genre of the films from IMDB or any other source, and use that to determine what movie goes into what folder.

Example:

I put file Run_Fatboy_Run into FileBot.
FileBot searches IMDB for the movie, and renames to Run, Fatboy, Run (2007).
FileBot then finds the genre of the movie, which is Comedy | Romance, then makes a new folder (if it doesn't exist) called Comedy Romance, and puts the file into there.

IMDB lists more than 2 genres usually, so maybe an option to have us choose how many genres we'd like to create sub-folders would be preferable, else we might have folders like Comedy Horror Drama Romance, along with the rest of Comedy Horror's, Comedy Romance, etc.

Another idea that came to me now, if the above is too complicated, is when I add movies to be renamed, is it possible for FileBot to show the genre(s) of the movie underneath the name, or somewhere just so that I can know which folder to put them into at least? Would save me a lot of time searching IMDB manually.

Hopefully you can make more sense of this now. :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No, you don't understand. This use-case is fully and completely supported in all ways concievable. Has been for years.

Use this format:

X:/Movies/{genres[0]}/{n} ({y})/{n} ({y}){" CD$pi"}
And it'll move files into new folders like this:
genres-format.png
Deadmano

Post by Deadmano »

rednoah wrote:No, you don't understand. This use-case is fully and completely supported in all ways concievable. Has been for years.

Use this format:

X:/Movies/{genres[0]}/{n} ({y})/{n} ({y}){" CD$pi"}
And it'll move files into new folders like this:
genres-format.png
That is awesome! Hahaha, wow, I feel like a total idiot now... Thanks Reinhard! And just another quick one, my head isn't working yet, how would I go about changing the format so as to only move the files to the genre folder, and not make a new folder for the file as well?

And tell me, where does it get the genres from? And what happens in the event that a movie has multiple genres? One thing that annoys me is IMDB's genres, where it will list a movie like Skyline as Action | Sci-Fi, and yes, it is action, but at the same time I wanna group all my Sci-Fi's together, and I'm afraid if FileBot pulls the first genre listed it will place a Sci-Fi movie into my pure Action genre folder... Is there any way around this?

EDIT: Don't worry, I had an epiphany and figured it out... Changed my syntax to;

E:/Movies/{genres[0]}/{n.replaceAll(":", replacement = " -")} ({y})
Now it does what I need, as well as change all instances of a colon (:) to a dash (-).

But I still would like to know if it is possible to do multiple genres, like Action Sci-Fi for example, etc, and if it is possible, how do I go about implementing it?

And once again, you have saved me so many hours of my life... As promised, I have been forwarding emails to friends mentioning FileBot, and I really hope it booms off for you and you get way more recognition that you deserve. If I had the cash to donate, trust me, I definitely will, but maybe I have the option to do so in the near future. :) I'll definitely stick around and help where I can. Thanks once again!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Take multiple genres and not just the first:

{genres.take(2).join(' ')}
Force Sci-Fi if Science Fiction is part of the genres, otherwise just use the first genre:

{genres.contains('Science Fiction') ? 'Sci-Fi' : genres[0]}
* {genres} data is retrieved from TheMovieDB
tfonias74
Donor

Post by tfonias74 »

Hello,

Is it possible to have a multiple layer of this?? "{genres.contains('Science Fiction') ? 'Sci-Fi' : genres[0]}" ?? (according to my level of preference??)..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yep. Check groovy syntax for details:

I'd be kinda like A ? x : B ? y : x and you could continue this for all your conditions.