Symlinking from one directory to another (via gui or cli).

Any questions? Need some help?
magsamm

Symlinking from one directory to another (via gui or cli).

Post by magsamm »

Hello, please forgive me if this topic has already been answered, i couldn't find what i was looking for after hours of searching. Anime with plex is a bit finnicky, so i want to symlink from one folder, to a plex library, with renamed files using filebot. (have bought a license). I couldn't seem to find a way to do this in the gui, nor find a script to fit my purposes. it's running on a seedbox, so keeping original filenames and folders is essential. OS i'm using is debian. Thanks in advance.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Symlinking from one directory to another (via gui or cli).

Post by rednoah »

FileBot fundamentally works on movie and episode items, which are typically files.

FileBot can help you create a new structure of symlinked files if you select Rename Action: Symlink, but that means FileBot will create new folders as necessary, and then symlink files into that new folder.

:?: What do you want to symlink folders? FileBot fundamentally can't process "series" or "season" folders, but it can process all the "episode" files within and organize them into a new folder structure.

:?: Since we're talking about running on a remote server, presumably GUI is not an option even though states otherwise in the OP?

:arrow: As for the CLI, --action symlink will symlink files instead of copying or hardlinking them. Though I recommend sticking with the default --action duplicate because that'll create hardlinks anyway. If hardlinks are an option, then hardlinks are always the better option. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
magsamm

Post by magsamm »

Could i get an example script on how to do this, or link to a forum post with an example? i like the software and want to be able to use it properly. on my home server ive used renamed all the files without having to move them bc it doesn't matter there.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please read the man page for details:
https://www.filebot.net/cli.html

e.g.

Code: Select all

filebot -rename Alias.1x01.mp4 -non-strict --action symlink
[SYMLINK] from [Alias.1x01.mp4] to [Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.mp4]

Code: Select all

ls -l
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rednoah  staff  14 Mar 28 22:56 Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.mp4 -> Alias.1x01.mp4
-rw-r--r--@ 1 rednoah  staff   0 Mar 28 22:55 Alias.1x01.mp4
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.