Complete Beginner

Any questions? Need some help?
Natilus13

Complete Beginner

Post by Natilus13 »

Hi,

I just came across this program and have been reading the forums. It sounds like a very powerful piece of software and should be able to do exactly what I want. The problem I am having is that I don't have a clue how to use it or what to do with the scripts that are posted on this forum. Any chance on giving some basic instructions on what to do with these scripts? My end goal is to automate my media downloading process, pretty much identical to the thread that F12 had posted.

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Complete Beginner

Post by rednoah »

FileBot is very flexible so there is many ways to do this. If you're using utorrent you can use this script at http://filebot.sourceforge.net/forums/v ... 4&t=5#p802 right out of the box and it'll take care of everything. Otherwise just make adjustments depending on what you wanna do and how you download and organize media.

Install it and then run filebot -script path/to/script and that'll get you started. Simple cmdline calls are supported but probably not good enough for more complex logic. You can use predefined scripts directly like in the examples in the link above or patch together your own script for your specific needs.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Thanks rednoah.

Just to see if I understand this correctly. Can you verify this for me?

I have downloaded the script "utorrent-postprocess.groovy" and saved it to "E:\Automation\Filebot Scripts".

I thought this would be the correct line to enter into uTorrent, but it didn't seem to work.

"filebot -script E:\Automation\Filebot Scripts\utorrent-postprocess.groovy"

In the script itself, how do I point it to my TV folder? Currently I have my TV shows in "E:\TV Series\Show\Season\". Do I need to replace the line "X:/media" in the script with ""E:\TV Series\"?

Lastly, I don't use XBMC as I have never been able to get it to perform as easily as Windows Media Center. Can I just delete any of the references to XBMC, or will this break the script?

Thanks again for your help. I am very excited to get this working as I can tell from reading the forums filebot will do everything I want it to, once I get it sorted out.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Just paste this line:

Code: Select all

filebot -script "fn:utorrent-postprocess" --output "X:/media" --action copy --conflict override -non-strict -trust-script -Xxbmc=localhost "-Xut_dir=%D" "-Xut_file=%F" "-Xut_label=%L" "-Xut_state=%S" "-Xut_kind=%K"
Then you just need to modify --output X:/media to your media root folder and it's done. FileBot will automatically organize things into TV Shows / Movies folders. If you don't use xbmc that doesn't matter, this will just silently fail and not affect anything.

-script "C:/path/to/script.groovy" is only necessary if you need to modify the script (e.g. how shows are organized, other customisations). The easiest way is to run with -script "fn:utorrent-postprocess". This will just work out of the box.

Setting the whole thing up should take less then 1 minute unless you're thinking too complicated.
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Ok, so I thought I finally had this working but I guess I was wrong.

I've replaced "X:/Media" with "E:/". I saw the script start after a download finished but it didn't seem to do anything, it popped up and then just closed. I thought maybe I should have had "E:\" instead but that didn't seem to work either.

Any suggestions? If I did want to point this to the script I have saved locally, what would I need to replace in the command you posted?

Thanks again for your help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. slash/backslash doesn't matter. Both is ok. Check the utorrent log and then run that full command with parameters manually in the console. That way you'll see the console output and see what's going on.

2. Local script is ok as well. But don't mess up the quotes. It's filebot -script "path/to/script.groovy" ...
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Aha! I figured out what is wrong.

It seems that when I download a show that is a simple .avi file, then everything works properly. If I download a show that is compressed into a .rar file, that is where the problem lies.

Does this script not decompress the downloaded file, or do I need a separate script to do that?

I feel like I am so close to getting this working properly (due to your help of course)... I can almost taste it :D
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rar files should be unpacked automatically. What's the input/output of the script if you run it in the cmdline?
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

rednoah wrote:rar files should be unpacked automatically. What's the input/output of the script if you run it in the cmdline?
Sorry but can you walk me through how to do that?

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Just came to mind you probably installed FileBot for the wrong architecture. If you have a 64bit Windows but use 32bit Java you must install 32bit FileBot to use native code like mediainfo and 7zip.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Check if 7zip integration works by trying to mass-extract archives in FileBot GUI : Analyze Panel.

EDIT:
Wrote script that'll check if native libs can be initialized on your system:

Code: Select all

filebot -script "fn:sysinfo" -trust-script
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

After read your post installed 7zip (since I did not have that installed before) in the hopes that would solve my problem. No luck.

I would love now to try what you suggest but this falls back to my post title. I'm a complete beginner, how do I use this script you wrote? I've loaded FileBot but I don't know where to go from there.

Sorry for being so completely useless P
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Nope, FileBot doesn't need 7-zip installed, it bundles it's own 7-zip libraries but the .msi you install must match your Java runtime.

What I mean with "architecture must match". If you installed FileBot x64 and mediainfo/7zip doesn't work then installing FileBot x86 might solve the problem.

Start cmd.exe (or google a tutorial on how to use windows cmdline) and then copy and paste the cmd from above.
cmdline.jpg
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Got it.

When I tried running the cmd you provided the following message was returned...

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I went to the Java site and made sure I was updated to the latest version, but still get this message.

I have installed the FileBot x64 version. Should I try installing the x86 version instead? My OS is Win 7 64-bit.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You probably have x86 java so you need to install x86 filebot.
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Still no good. I removed FileBot x64 and installed x86. I still got the same message when I tried to run the command.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks like the installer can't set up the PATH so the console can't find that command. If that doesn't work you can just specify the full path to the script, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileBot\filebot.cmd" -script ...
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Huzzah! Once I added the Java executable directory to my path the problem was solved!

Thank you very much.

Now just need to figure out how to modify this script so that instead of trying to update the XBMC library (which I don't use) it updates the Media Browser library.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Don't know Media Browser but if it has an API it should be easy to tell it to update its library.
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

One more question for you (since you've helped me out so much so far). Is there a way to have it so that when this script runs the cmd window does not pop up? It's quite annoying when you are watching something and all of a sudden it pops up.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

utorrent runs the cmd that runs filebot. So you'll have to check in the utorrent forums for that one.
Natilus13

Post by Natilus13 »

Will do, and thanks again. I really appreciate how helpful you've been.
almann12

Post by almann12 »

Hi i am new to this and abit of a newb

I have osx and using the tv shows app to dowwnload tvshows when they come out, It then goes into transmission and downloads the folder to movies/tvshows/ and then the folder is put there, I would like it if it could automatically download the tvshow, rename it and then place it in a new folder ie new tvshows.

Is there anyway of doing this or is it wishful thinking!

any help would be great and sorry if this is a repeat.

Alex :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sounds easy enough.

Maybe basic cmdline calls are already enough:
http://filebot.sourceforge.net/cli.html

Otherwise you can look into FileBot/Groovy scripting:
http://filebot.sourceforge.net/script.html

You can do things like this, but you probably won't even need something this complicated:
http://filebot.sourceforge.net/forums/v ... =215#p1561
almann12

Post by almann12 »

Thanks for the reply im pretty lost thought dont really know what im doing

Alex