I need help with the renaming process.

Any questions? Need some help?
waydown

I need help with the renaming process.

Post by waydown »

Hello there, thanks for offering this great application. I am using filebot portable 3.0 and I'd like to ask you how could I handle it in a way it could benefit even better my movie rename workflow.
For example, I have a folder called TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers (great movie by a great director btw!).
I've set filebot connecting to IMDB and rename it in a way it becomes: Cold Fish - Shion Sono (2010) as this is the formatting of my choosing. Video and subtitle files naturally get renamed, great. Now what I want to additionally do is:

*I'd want the rename process to also include the folder where the video and srt files are.

*Even though I don't want the scene group release name messing with the movie title itself I'd somehow want to keep it somewhere so I know the name of the release for archiving, comparison and update purposes.
So I guess the better way to do that would be to have filebot create a txt.file or something (something other than the srt and video files) within the folder with a filename same as the one of the folder i.e TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers. I guess that would have to happen before the earlier step where folder gets renamed too. Is this possible?

Finally I wonder if it's possible to multiselect files in the main window in order to remove them all at once in case we don't want to process them all.

I hope what I want to do is possible without using the command line cause it can get confusing. :)
Thanks a lot in advance!
rednoah
The Source

Re: I need help with the renaming process.

Post by rednoah »

In scripting the rename(...) function allows you to pass in a Closure as custom rename action. But that's Groovy programming. No chance of that getting anything like that into the GUI though since it's a way to specific usecase. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

As for original folder name, use this binding: {file.parentFile.name}
waydown

Post by waydown »

rednoah wrote:In scripting the rename(...) function allows you to pass in a Closure as custom rename action. But that's Groovy programming. No chance of that getting anything like that into the GUI though since it's a way to specific usecase. ;)
rednoah wrote:As for original folder name, use this binding: {file.parentFile.name}
Thanks a lot for the reply. ;)
However, I am sorry but I am not sure I understand everything and which of my two requests isnt possible / what IS possible with the {file.parentFile.name} binding. All I could do with that was to include the folder name into both my video and srt files which is not what i want. Folder name remains unchanged and at the same I guess from what you say I am unable to add another file(txt or other) with the folder name inside the folder. So am I to assume that both of my requests are impossible? No workarounds either?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. So you want or you don't want the original folder name in the new path? e.g. E:/Movies/{file.parentFile.name}/{n} {y}

2. You can't create files in the GUI but it's all quite possible with filebot scripting.

3. You can select/deselect any files first (e.g. search for *Naruto*.avi) and then drop any selection into filebot.
waydown

Post by waydown »

Ok maybe I didn't explain well what I want to be able to do, I'll try to rephrase using my earlier example.
So inside a folder called movies there are various movie folders. Most of them are labelled with their scene release name.
So let's pick again the same movie as an example. Its root folder is TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers. The video file itself and the subs file are named likewise. Now, I don't like that. I don't like the movie folder or the video/subs files named after the screen release. For the reasons I described I'd still want to SOMEHOW keep info of that though, only NOT as filenames of the movie/subs or the folder itself. Those, I'd want them to be as Cold Fish - Shion Sono (2010) and I've set up filebot doing so, but that doesn't affect the folder which stays unaltered.

To put it different, ideally I'd want to drag my entire movie folder into filebot and have it work in a way so all movie folders and its contents change in that style:

In the beginning it is E:/Movies/TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers/(video and subs files named TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers as well)

I want it to turn to: E:/Movies/Cold Fish - Shion Sono (2010)/Cold Fish - Shion Sono (2010).avi, Cold Fish - Shion Sono (2010).srt AND create a TPB-Cold.Fish.2010.BRRip.Xvid-SceneLovers.txt or any other type of file bearing the original, initial name of the folder which is usually the scene release name. So yeah, I want the original folder name but somewhere else inside the folder other than the video/srt files or the folder itself.

Basically I want my movie files and folders named the way I described which is {n} - {director} ({y}) BUT for archiving purposes also keep the original folder name/scene release name somewhere in the folder somehow (a text file or smth). I want my movies formatted my way but also keeping info of the scene release in some way, without that being in the video/sub files or the folder name.
I hope it makes sense now. If the way I came up with is not possible and you cannot show me how to do that (even with filebot scripting if it's not veeeery difficult) you could maybe suggest an alternative approach to get what I want. Phew, that was LONG. :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well the moving is easy. Just specify a format like I showed you.

Code: Select all

E:/Movies/{n} - {director} ({y})/{n} - {director} ({y})

Now creating these text files is different. But you have all the data in filebots rename history so you can do that at a later point. There's another thread with examples on how to read the rename history with scripting. Shouldn't be more than 4-5 lines of code.