Best way to identify and label foreign language files?

Any questions? Need some help?
DevXen
Power User

Best way to identify and label foreign language files?

Post by DevXen »

What is the best way to identify and tag foreign language files with the correct language?

1. Identify that the Film is not in English and put it in folder: [Foreign Films]/[German] or: [Foreign Films]/[French], etc
2. Identify what language the film actually is and add it to the filename: [German]

This is something I've been struggling with for several months.

What i had tried was to get the language encoding from the audio tracks and if that wasn't listed then to look up the language from the movie info online.
and both work sometimes. but often it still pull up as [English] and put them in that folder. or often times it wouldn't find data in either and put them in a [Null] Folder.

Other times, when it found data from either of the two sources listed above, it would work great. (which was most the time).

So I thought i'd ask what the best way to identify and label those files would be?

Thanks,
-Dev
rednoah
The Source

Re: Best way to identify and label foreign language files?

Post by rednoah »

New bindings like {language} (based on TheMovieDB info) might make this slightly easier, but if the metadata is missing online then the best course of action is probably to just add the missing information. ;)

Other than checking audio language (which might work for mkv / mp4 files) you could also check if movie name n equals primaryTitle or not. Things like "Run Lola Run" VS "Lola rennt" might be a good indicator. Non-ASCII characters like 葉問 would probably be good indicator as well. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.